parenting...

gr8mom

PF Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Texas
Did you know before you decided to have children how much work it would be? I didn't have a clue. I had spent all of my childhood around young babies. Rocking my younger sister to sleep at night when I was 13, reading to them and playing with them but I thought being a mother would be easy for me. How many of you thought it would be easier than it is and why?

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
I think that I did have a concept of the great responsibility of being a parent, which may be why I waited until my 30s.

Although, I don't think anyone can be truly prepared for what it is really like until you are there.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
I thought it would be just like watching someone else's kid. hahaha. It's totally different than I had imagined. Nothing can prepare you for having a child of your own.

hwnorth

PF Fanatic
Mar 13, 2008
Courtenay BC Canada
For me I didnt expect the duties and responsibilities ... nor the joy ... I changed overnight .. literally. I went from the "party guy" .. to "Dad" .. overnight ...

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
hwnorth said:
For me I didnt expect the duties and responsibilities ... nor the joy ... I changed overnight .. literally. I went from the "party guy" .. to "Dad" .. overnight ...
same here...except for the guy part. I haven't been a guy for a while now...lol

gr8mom

PF Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Texas
For me I can remember wanting kids of my own from very young. I wanted to hold my new baby brother when I was 2 1/2 years old. That's probably the earliest thing I remember, being told I was too young to hold him. I just didn't realize what all that entailed. Now I can see the wisdom in waiting a while to have kids. Don't get me wrong, I love my girls and wouldn't trade them for the world but I probably should have been a little older and wiser when it comes right down to it.

hwnorth

PF Fanatic
Mar 13, 2008
Courtenay BC Canada
fallon said:
Well that wasnt really being a guy ... it was more like ... kinda ... errr ... I thought we werent gonna discuss that ?? ..

It was once ... I was drunk and I didnt like it ... I think ...

LAUGHING HARD

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
First couple of days weren't too bad, but after that it was good there were two parents, and two sets of grandparents...LOL

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Lissa said:
I thought it would be just like watching someone else's kid. hahaha. It's totally different than I had imagined. Nothing can prepare you for having a child of your own.
LOL thats what i thought too....i mean i babysat so much i thought it would be similar....but it isn't LOL

ljmahr

PF Fiend
Oct 16, 2007
I am with Lisa and meow. I thought it would be like babysitting. Boy was I wrong. I wouldn't give even one of them back for the world but I think if I could change something it would be to have waited a little longer before my first.

Teresa

PF Fiend
Feb 2, 2007
Ohio
I think I had a pretty good idea of how hard it would be, from observation and from time spent with my younger brother and younger cousins. I wasn't prepared for my second one to be as difficult as she was, though, having never had any experience at all with a child who was high needs/ADHD. After the easy time I had with my oldest, I thought the second would cause me to pull my hair out. And then, when I got pregnant with #3, I was SO nervous, but fortunately she was another easy child.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
fallon said:
lmao Fallon

for me, I knew how big it would be and all of that, I also am relieved to know that for the most part parenting came easily and naturally to me. Now to say that it is not soooo stressful sometimes would be insane. I want to strangle my beautiful 2 year old all the time lol.
There is no way to really understand what it is like to have a child until you have one, and then it changes every single day

Barbi.doll

PF Regular
Apr 4, 2008
Greater Toronto Area, Ontario
Sometimes I have to wonder if children are more difficult children to keep us mom's on our toes and build us stronger!

When Faith was in her first year, I thought "Man, where did this patience all of a sudden come from?" I was so patient with everything no matter how much frustration I was feeling inside, I kept calm, cool and collective! Others even commented on how calm I kept during her challenging moments. Then, when she hit 2 - it was like all my patience went out the window. At 4/12, I have very little tolerance, however, she's able to be reasoned with and has a great understanding of everything I talk to her about. Thank goodness for that.

My best friends daughter is only 6 weeks younger than Faith and some of the things she does -like completely ignore her mother when her mother is talking to her - wow, drives me nuts watching it, but I thank Him for only making mine challenging, not completely ignorant! LOL They are both good kids for sure, but yes, their level of difficulty in dealing with them leads me to believe there's a bigger lesson for myself and my best friend!

Somedays are easier than others of course, but no matter how hard a moment or a day is, I'm always thankful for her as she's been a blessing in my life.

I can't remember what I thought it was going to be like though. I don't feel as though I'm surprised. I didn't want children at all prior to becoming accidentally pregnant, but my God directed me that this was my 'time' - so, all in all, I think I made the statement of never wanting kids because I knew that it wasn't going to be easy.

I have to admit though, I think I was better off doing it on my own without her father and I together. I watch too many of my friends complain about their spouse because he doesn't do this and that and the other thing and how she has to take on all the responsibilities. Well, I don't think twice about being the one who is solely responsible for ALL the duties of the house and kids. I can't imagine having to rely on someone else who just isn't worthy of being depended on.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
The love actually took me by surprise. I used to hear that you have a different love when you have your own kids and that's so true.
I wanted children for a very long time and was at the point where I didn't think I would have any so when I found out I was pg it felt like a miracle.
Now that they are older it's alot of fun. Best thing I've ever done.