Parents Arguing over what 4 year old girl wears....

skimlaguna

Dec 7, 2015
I am in a domestic relationship and the father of a 4 year old girl. Lately, I feel my girlfriend is increasingly controlling of our daughter. Before going out this morning for a hike, she made our daughter switch shirts (either of which were appropriate for hiking) in the parking lot, causing her to come upset and irritable. This is not the first time a situation like this has happened.

Tonight, after our daughter was asleep, i approached her about it and asked her if today's actions were worth our daughter crying. She blew up at me, saying the only reason our daughter cried was because I was there and she turned on the waterworks for me, which I do not believe to be the case.

I hate seeing my daughter become upset with her controlling mother

Am I crazy, or does it really matter what a 4 year old wears, so long as it's appropriate for the occasion? Any advice on how I can change her mind?

Thanks

page16

PF Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2014
It is hard to comment on this without seeing the entire picture. What is defined as controlling? How often does it happen? What was the reason for the shirt change?

Maybe she cares and she wants to be more involved in the upbringing of your daughter. If you live together, then she is going to make some decisions regarding your daughter, and unless you feel these decisions are real bad, I think you need to leave her a little room to be a part of your daughter's upbringing.

This is just a first thought after reading your post. Like I said, I don't know the whole picture, so it's hard to comment.