Parents, how are you explaining the Black Lives Matter movement to your children?

anonymous4683

Nov 6, 2020
Hi all, I’m a college student doing research on parenting during the Black Lives Matter movement, regardless of political affiliation. It would be much appreciated if you share your thoughts!

Amanda Jane

Nov 6, 2020
Hi there
My family and I live in a cosmopolitain city, within I'd say a liberal educated mindset, so we have had many discussions about racism and oppression around the dinner table and whilst walking around the city. In many windows around our neighbourhood there are BLM posters and banners, and at school the kids are surrounded by a mixed peer group of all ethnicities. We used to live in Italy, where racism appears to us to be rife and pretty much considered as normal. I had many ardent discussions about this casual and ingrained prejudice within the local population. No such thing as wokeism in Rome.... I miss Rome, but I was very glad to get the kids away from that side of the culture and into an atmosphere where whatever your colour, income bracket or sexual persuasion you are accepted as just as valid as everyone else. I have tried to teach my kids that prejudice and particularly racism is a sign of ignorance and fear. I would add that BLM is also being actively studied as part of the curriculum at both grade and high school here in our city.
Hope that helps!