Permission?...

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Hey guys, I got a PM from a new member earlier. Honestly, he's just asking to post a survey, which I'm not too fond of and I would usually just say no, but I figured I'd ask you guys to make sure first because he (apparantly, I mean who knows for real) seems to have a good cause behind it. Meh, who knows. I just didn't want to say no and be a jerk if you guys would have said yes and I'd feel bad lol. I just get the feeling no one will answer it anyway, and people will dislike it as much as spam but idk. Here's what he said:

"I wanted to get permission to post the link to the survey that I am currently running as a part of my Psychology graduate degree requirements. It's a short anonymous survey asking parents about media use in their home. I am making a donation to either the red cross, child's play, or St. Jude's hospital based on the number of people that respond, and they get to pick which organization they would like their donation to be made to.

If you could either give me permission or point me to the person that I can contact to get permission I would greatly appreciate it (I don't want to be posting, and have people feel like it is spam).

Please feel free to contact me with any questions you may have. E-mail at cjensen@alliant.edu, would be the best, but a PM would also work as well.

Thanks
Chris Jensen"

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
We set a standard that we wouldn't allow surveys on this forum as it opens the door for spammers. If we allow this exception, then everyone else will expect an exception as well...I hate to sound cold and heartless, but the rules are the rules. Not to mention, how do we really know what he's surveying for and whether or not he's donating anything?

Just my thoughts....

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
That's kind of how I felt too. I have to agree on both questions, who knows what the survey is really for and how can we possibly have any proof that he is donating to anyone. :/

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
It's was ok'd at another site I am on and quite a few people took it and it was pretty short. Having said that either way works for me:)

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
I don't have a problem with the survey itself, but as Dadu said, approving it creates a slippery slope for us.

So, I'm on the side of sayig "no," just like cold heartless dadu... ;-)

I suppose another longer term appraoch might be to create a section for surveys and just tell the members, hey if you want to do surveys go there, otherwise ignore the place....