Photos we post online and our children's safety...

Svetlana_fc

Sep 21, 2010
Hi! I was shocked to learn that almost each photo we post online to share with family and friends can also reveal lots of other personal information - like where exactly our children study, where the house is located, where our children spend free time (longitude and latitude - not just the name of the park or school). I am not sure if this is something we really need to worry about, but there was an interesting article in the New York Times called "Web photos that reveal secrets". The thing is that when we post photos online proudly showing our children, thousands of stranges can easily get access to them as well. And who knows what the intentions are...

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
I don't put pictures of my son, or myself, online. It just creeps me out! Despite the fact that I spend a lot of time online, I don't really know what all the internet is actually capable of. My ignorance translates to fear.

I like how this site has a 'family album' that is locked until you have a certain number of posts. That's' the first time I've seen that. I'm sure someone could probably hack it, but it still makes it seem safer to me.

I think where you live also adds to the 'scary' factor. I would think that there is more opportunity in large cities for predators. Where I live (5,000 people), a kid can't sneeze without the parents hearing about it. I know many a young folk who don't like living here because they can't get away with ANYTHING. And since it is an island, with no airport, just a ferry, it's not so easy to get out of here without someone noticing. I won't even tell you how rumored child molesters are received here.

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
So true, and not just watching either... Really, even without hacking, anyone can right click on a picture, and save it as their own in about a half second. This is how pictures of children end up on the internet in places their parents did not post them. Facebook is the same, all you do is right click, anyone can steal any photos and pass them off as their own. You don't even need any techinical ability of any kind really. Scary stuff.

Svetlana_fc

Sep 21, 2010
Just in case you guys post photos online, I've made some research and found the software that will simply remove geotags from photos - Geotag Security. It is free! I have tested my own photos, and lots of them contained geotags, so remove them as well in case you are worried.

johnbr

Oct 10, 2010
There has supposedly been known cases where online predators grabbed such kid's photos and used them in their online profile at social networking sites, befriending or approaching other innocent kids for friendship.
I would never put online my child's photos online unless I am sure privacy is certain.

matt89

Banned
Nov 8, 2010
It is all about hiding the exif data. Programs like Photoshop can usually strip that information off of photos. Also make sure to adjust your privacy settings appropriately.

eludedelegance

Nov 12, 2010
Thus is a danger of the Internet. There are safe sites you can host them on that only allow friends/families to see.

babiesrcute

Banned
Nov 12, 2010
Svetlana_fc said:
Hi! I was shocked to learn that almost each photo we post online to share with family and friends can also reveal lots of other personal information - like where exactly our children study, where the house is located, where our children spend free time (longitude and latitude - not just the name of the park or school). I am not sure if this is something we really need to worry about, but there was an interesting article in the New York Times called "Web photos that reveal secrets". The thing is that when we post photos online proudly showing our children, thousands of stranges can easily get access to them as well. And who knows what the intentions are...
i agree

babiesrcute

Banned
Nov 12, 2010
stjohnjulie said:
I don't put pictures of my son, or myself, online. It just creeps me out! Despite the fact that I spend a lot of time online, I don't really know what all the internet is actually capable of. My ignorance translates to fear.

I like how this site has a 'family album' that is locked until you have a certain number of posts. That's' the first time I've seen that. I'm sure someone could probably hack it, but it still makes it seem safer to me.

I think where you live also adds to the 'scary' factor. I would think that there is more opportunity in large cities for predators. Where I live (5,000 people), a kid can't sneeze without the parents hearing about it. I know many a young folk who don't like living here because they can't get away with ANYTHING. And since it is an island, with no airport, just a ferry, it's not so easy to get out of here without someone noticing. I won't even tell you how rumored child molesters are received here.
oh

Ceres

Nov 30, 2010
Sort of on the same topic. A peeve of mine is when parents use their kids photo as their Facebook profile. I've seen MANY a not- so-nice or even profanity laden post from a smiling five year old. A Facebook profile should show your own photo. Not your child's IMO.

Satori

PF Enthusiast
Dec 30, 2010
Australia
I'm amazed at the number of children's photos on free photo sites where you can just download these pics and use it for whatever. I've used these pics in my blog with the best of intentions, but it kills me to think that any one can download them for more sinister purposes.