Please Help!!...

lil mama

Feb 7, 2011
My boyfriend and i moved in together in october. He has a son that is 4 and i have a daughter who is one. Both from relationships we had while we were broken up for a while. So far everything has been going good, but his son has all of a sudden became very attitudy and angry. I have to watch his every move around my daughter. If he thinks we arent watching he will do things that can hurt my daughter. For example step on her hand, hit her, trip her ect. I have been yelling at him and my boyfriend backs me up. But he doesnt listen for long and i still am forced to watch his every move. I feel frustrated that i have to be yelling at him constantly. because most of the time my boyfriend is on the computer or doing something else so he doesnt see it all. Ive always had a hard time talking about my feelings but i know i need to have a talk with my bf. I feel angry,confused and scared for our future together. I honestly feel like there needs to be more disipline than just yelling at him. Does anyone else agree? Im at wits end :(

JungleMama

PF Regular
Feb 7, 2011
Good ol' Canada Eh!
I agree, I wish I had some answers for you, but my step children live with their mommy's ( a whole new bag of issues xD)

But my boys smack each other and the girls all the time and vice versa, its an age thing as well as possibly his way of testing the grounds now that everyone is confortable with each other.

I really hope things get better, its hard being a step-parent wether they live with you or not.

hugs~

lil mama

Feb 7, 2011
Thank you, i feel like he is testing us. We have 50/50 custody, but usually we have him more than that. I guess maybe im too strict but i feel like we should not tolerate hitting or trying to hurt each other. Theres no reason for it! Thanks again for replying im new here and am excited to be a part of it:D

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Sounds like he is having a hard time coping with some big changes. At that age, its not easy to express or deal with unhappy feelings related to a move or a change in family situations. I don't know if he changed locations, but if he's in a new place that's one thing that can be hard on any kid and he's probably acting out because of it. Another thing is that I am assuming he probably came from an only child situation? And now he is thrown into a life where he suddenly has a baby sister. Its not easy for any kid to get used to having another kid around 24/7. And most kids don't have to jump right into having another toddler around either, they get to experience the baby from day one and get to watch them change and grow day to day. Plus, his parents are separated so he has to deal with that situation as well. Kids are so smart and all of these things effect them, even if you don't think they do. He's probably frustrated and confused, and irritated with it all you know? He now has to share his space with this new kid, probably his toys, his couch, his time, pretty much everything she is now there for and he has to cope with this new situation. And of course every kid gets jealous at sharing the attention they are used to getting with another kid. Its hard!

I highly doubt he's just trying to be down right mean or evil, I would bet he just needs some help getting through these changes and he will end up being okay. Sometimes my sister brings over my nephew (about to turn 1) and my son doesn't always do perfectly well with him. He tends to push him over and hurt him by being too rough. MOST of it is because he has absolutely no idea that babies that age are unstable on their feet, don't have great balance, and don't have anywhere near his strength, you know? haha so most of the time its an accident, and he doesn't understand what he's doing. Other times he is being kind of mean, or it seems that way, and what I always do FIRST is ask him why he did it "Hey, why did you push baby Jack over??" and he will answer with something like "He's not allowed to close to door; I didn't want him to ruin my legos (if he built something with them); He was blocking me from moving my car" and really all of that is so innocent isn't it??? haha, Its still not acceptable for him to do things like that but it makes me feel better about why my big boy is being "mean" to a little baby. So always try to ask him why! It will help you understand a little more what's going through his head.

Then, don't necessarily just yell at him and move on. You may not even have to yell. What I do with my son, is I say something like this "Why did you hurt baby Jack? Do you know Jack is just a little baby? Is it nice to hurt little babies? You're a big boy, and you need to be careful with babies, and you are not allowed to hurt people, because that's mean, right?" He usually responds with the right answers, too. He's a good boy. This hasn't happened to me yet, because my boy only has limited time around his cousin, but if it became a problem and happened too often I would say those things followed by "Okay well you're going to have to go in time out next time you do it, so you need to be nice" and once it got to that point, I would take him to his chair and tell him "You're taking a time out because you can't be nice to baby Jack, and that's not okay". I know that would be enough for my son, and he would learn how to act around little ones quickly enough, but I know every kid is different. Worth a try though.

Anyway, I hope he starts shaping up. Just try to get into his head and try to understand how he must be feeling and help him cope with it. Aside from that, be strong and stay consistant and he will learn that he can't be like that with her. :) He'll come around, don't worry.

lil mama

Feb 7, 2011
Thank you bud. His parents broke up when he first turned 3. At that time i was pregnant when we got back together. so yea he got all of our attention at that time. He has two older sisters from his mom and she is expecting again. So maybe because he is used to being the baby and getting all the attention is the problem? We did not live together when we first got together so i think u are right he has to learn to share his things now when hes at his dads(our) house. Thank u for the advice i will definently do that!

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Yeah that makes sense, that maybe he's used to being the baby. :) Either way, I bet he'll learn! And no problem! :)

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
Do you set aside some one-on-one time with him? It sounds like he is feeling insecure, though I don't think there is anything unusual about a 4yo hitting a 1yo in the house, especially when the 1yo lives with you all the time and he is only there 50% of the time.

If you could make him feel secure in your love for him, the hitting and anger might decrease. I don't think it will ever completely go away. Sibling rivalry is inevitible, and 4yos generally deal with things on a physical level.

Good luck. I really think if you try to spend some special time with him on a regular basis it will help. It will probably also help you to feel a greater bond with him.

Chrissie

Apr 25, 2011
Shreveport, LA USA
aw, hes just little, doesn't know how to express his emotions. I would snatch him up if I saw him getting upset, bring him to the table and ask him to color me a picture of his feelings...then talk to him about it. If he hits Put him in a time out wherever you have it, a minute per year of his age, tell him why you are putting him there.. every time he gets up put him back and restart (LOVE supernanny, I used it and IT WORKS). Then tell him why you put him in time out again and lots of hugs and kisses, ask him if he wants to draw his feelings again...get him in the habit of expressing his emotions in a healthy manner and comfortable expressing them as such.

As far as yelling, its just adding to his frustration and confusion, try not to yell, catch yourself when you feel your going to and be mindful. He does not know how to process his own feelings yet, let alone yours, and your yelling is teaching him this is what hes supposed to do, then next you'll be writing on here about him yelling at everyone lol! Good luck!