Please I Need Your Help...

theresatwis

Feb 5, 2008
New Jersey
Hello Everyone, Myself and 2 1/2 year old daughter will be traveling to the DR in July. I need to know what is the best Bug Spray for her so that she will be safe from the bugs.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
I use peppermint oil...it's the best bug replent I've ever used and it's natural. other than that there are lots of sprays out there that work well. My concern with those is most contain DEET

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
also try fabric softener dryer sheets, esp. downy. rub it on the clothes you want to use and also dry your clothes with those sheets. it helps as well as the bug repellents. we have rubbed it on our legs arms and necks and feet w/out any side affects.
also citronella oil is good too.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
I've heard vanilla, tea tree oil, Avon Skin so soft, vinegar....

I think the theory behind all of those scnets is that is messed with mosquitos ability ability to sense the CO2 in your breath that attradcts them to you.

personally, I don't think DEET is evil if used appropriately. I found the following article that gives some info on DEET and Kids as well as some natural alternatives CDC finds effective (that I didn't know before...)

Are Insect Repellents With DEET Safe for Kids?

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
Actually, I just got back from the DR...Punta Cana. I took down 2 bottles of "Off" spray since everyone told me that i would need it.... we didn't need it at all. There were absolutely no bugs, no sand fleas, nothing. Just some cute little lizards. :)

Have fun!

ezmom

Apr 7, 2009
For mosquito repellant try the AVON SkinSoft . It is DEET free. I got the info from this forum.

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
hey tootsie rolls, that was supposed to be Bounce not downy. but i don't think it will really make much of a difference.

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
we did the fireworks at the lake yesterday evening. no bites on any of us. before we went out there we had used the bounce (outdoor fresh) dryer sheets w/the laundry. so whatever is in it really does work. aint too sure but it's probably a safe bet to say that any of the dryer sheets would work, even ones w/febreeze. be sure not to wear a whole bunch of colognes or perfumes. :cool: