Please Please Help! 20 year old daughter, horrible boyfriend......

mojomamma

May 26, 2014
Please help! Our family is in crisis. Our 20 year old daughter has been a musician since she was 13. She has been around several older musicians that are guys under our supervision at all times and at a distance. One of my husbands friends who is a gifted musician who is 35 has fallen for her and now they are involved. She was always a great kid never gave us a second of a problem. She is very friendly, loving, and understanding. This guys morals are completely opposite of how we have raised her and she is adopting his morals and beliefs. When she was 17 it got back to us that he was making lewd comments about what he wanted to do to her and me! Disgusting stuff... After that we sat down and talked about it together as a family and chose to stay away from him. Now years later they are together. When he was in his mid twenties he got a 16 year old pregnant. When he was 28 got a 20 year old pregnant and has been divorced twice. He has no job, no car and has been living with his ex wife who just threw him out. We have talked to her until there is just nothing left to say. She just doesn't get it. He has threatened has ex girlfriend and his ex wife, both we have talked to. Treats his 6 year old son bad. We have explained all of this to her and she just says that he treats her good and this has been nothing but a positive experience for her! She has decided to start spending the night with him. My husband and I moved 45 minutes away 4 months ago for financial reasons. So she has been staying with my mom during the week and with us on weekends. My moms house is close to her work. My mom got her a car and pays for her cell phone bill. We took her off of our car insurance policy and made her get her own and told her that we love her, but are not going to support her in any way while she is making these decisions. My mom hates the situation but feels that we are being bad parents and we should support her no matter what she is choosing. Last night we told her to come get her stuff. We told her that we love her, and that our door would be open when she wakes up. Please help, have we gone too far?

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
The hardest part of being a parent is knowing when to back off. You have said your peace and now she will liver her life. If you push to hard you will push her away, if you push her away she will have nowhere to fall if things do go wrong.