Possible development of an eating problem....

FriendlyJocie

Jan 16, 2008
Hello,

My name is Jocelyn and I'm a mother of five daughters. I am also new to this forum but I used to do chatting and posting quite frequently elsewhere, mostly on Christian-based websites.

I've recently become concerned about my youngest daughter's eating and exercise habits as well as her body image and self esteem. Justine celebrated her fifteenth birthday last month, but she seems to be well above many of her peers in terms of intelligence and she displays an advanced maturity. I daresay she makes smarter decisions and seems more mature than her older sisters despite a large age difference (she is eleven years younger than my oldest). In short, she has never caused any serious problems before, even though I've been prepared for a rebellious attitude after what her sisters went through in their early teens. This is the first time she has done anything I'm not fully approving of.

What is worrying me is her view of her body, her diet and most of all her exercize. Justine's weight has varied quite a bit since she hit puberty. She went from being a slip of a thing as a small child to being quite pudgy around the time she entered middle school. Her height increased significantly and she was stick thin for a while there, and then she became slightly chubby due to development and such. However, when she entered high school she took up a sport, tennis, and also started spending more time outdoors and engaged with her friends, so she got a fairly athletic, lean but not skinny figure. I thought she was satisfied but she has complained from time to time that her legs look chubby and bulky to her and that she "hates" this part or that part, usually her tummy and arms. To me, her limbs are merely muscular but she sees this as fat.

Justine's diet is way too strict. She started out planning a 500 calorie/day diet, which I told her was ridiculous. I requested she stay in the 1,800 range but she expressed dissatisfaction and said repeatedly that weight loss at that rate would be way too slow for her. She managed to agree on 1,200 - 1,500 calories daily. However, she is supplementing it with what is in my view an unreasonable amount of exercise. There is no tennis at school right now, but she has a regular gym class. In addition, my oldest daughter, who Justine babysits for often, reports that Justine uses her fitness equipment almost constantly the two nights or so that she is there each week. There is no problem with this from my daughter's view because her children usually are sleeping or playing quietly when Justine is using the equipment, but Rose looked at the calorie and mile measures for me once after Justine had been there and reported that she is burning about 300 - 500 calories each evening that she is there. Justine also goes for a run or walk most evenings once she gets home, occasionally uses my treadmill and recently bought a "core development" ball with her own money to sit on because it supposedly tones and burns calories and replaces a normal chair.

Something that has added to this problem is, my husband, without my consent, made a deal with her and two of her sisters, to lose between fifteen and twenty pounds by spring vacation. We planned to surprise them with a beach vacation, but he told them the reward for losing the weight would be some new clothes. Justine is about 5'1" - 5'2" now, and I believe her weight is in the 120-125 range. That is in the normal range for her height. Also, since she is athletic I believe most of that weight is muscle, not excess fat. I would be pleased to see her lose 5-10 pounds heathily, but not 20. In my opinion, she would be way too slim at 100-105.

I know she is eager to lose weight and look her best, but she is a beautiful girl and I'm afraid she is going to ruin her health. I believe she is burning away nearly a third of the calories she is eating and she's not eating very much to start with. Just given her preoccupation with exercize, I'm worried. She had a root canal yesterday and was told to take it easy, so no school or exercize yesterday, and she was just climbing the walls. She was literally in her gym shoes and sweat pants pacing and fretting she would gain her weight back. I'm nervous. Is this an eating disorder on the way or just normal teen dieting? Please provide advice.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
She might screw up her motabolism. I think her dad was super foolish for even making that deal. She is still small, does she want to stunt her growth? If I were you I would take her to a nutritionist and do no more advising unless you are a professional in that area. Who knows what's normal. I can't see your pantry, I don't know what you as a parent are feeding your child. Kids who obsess this early can encounter problems, some do diet pills, caffiene, cocaine, starvation. Don't give her any idea's of course in that direction.
But your husband has put in her head that she is not good enough the way she is. Unreal.
Fresh fruits and veggies and protein. Healthy snacks six to seven times a day is fine. Calories are fine as long as they are healthy calories and not dead calories BIG DIFFERENCE.
Go see a nutritionist seriously.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
This breaks my heart. I had an eating disorder (anorexia, diet pill abuse and overexercising). I had it since since I was about 9 and nobody picked up on it. Your daughter is lucky to have such an observant mother. A 500 calorie diet is not healthy. You can tell her what you want, that she should eat at least 1800 a day, but she will not listen. The best thing that you can do for her is have her talk with a therapist and a dietician. Do it now before things really get out of hand and she needs to be hospitalized. I would be VERY concerned as a parent if I were you.

Good luck!

FriendlyJocie

Jan 16, 2008
Although I am saddened to think that what Justine is doing is unhealthy, I'm definitely glad to hear I'm not just overreacting to what I feel is a dangerous scheme. I was worrying that possibly I wasn't in touch with what girls her age are doing now - something she has begun accusing me of in the last few weeks since this all started. It's nice to be told I'm not making a mistake by being concerned.

I did mention the comments to my husband and he said it was probably a bad idea to encourage weight loss for the girls, particularly Justine, who is perfectly healthy and at a correct weight for her height and frame, and her sister Katy, who is also in good shape. His reply to me was that he knew Justine had been fretting a lot about her body in the last few months and wanted to inspire her to do something about it hoping it would make her feel good. We plan to talk to her tomorrow and put a five pound limit on her weight loss, and that will only be allowed if she sticks to a healthy menu. I like the idea of a nutritionist and I do know a good one I visited a number of years ago to give me ideas for my own weight loss post-pregnancy. I assume a nutritionist can give her a reasonable menu idea and a healthy calorie range, and perhaps advise of both of what would be a safe amount of exercise. I do not want to discourage her efforts to be in shape, but it does seem she is doing too much.

Thank you!

FriendlyJocie

Jan 16, 2008
Well now DH has decided he isn't going to back me up on this. We spoke to Justine this morning about quitting the diet for the time being until we can be seen by someone who can help her with nutrition, but right in the middle of the discussion, he took her side and said his original offer still stands. I was floored to be quite honest, and by the fact that he did this in front of our daughter instead of discussing it with me beforehand. He also told her she was doing a good job and looked great. He had the gall to tell me afterwards, in private, that he had given it some thought and didn't want the girls to end up with my problems (I am somewhat overweight but have never faced obesity), and that he thought by encouraging the girls to get bone thin he'd prevent them having to go through the years I spent yo-yoing. Obviously, this isn't a good situation. He has now left on a business trip, leaving me to deal with it. I'm unsure how to handle the situation now. She's hearing one message from me and a completely different message from her father. She's at home today, teacher in-service today, so we will be able to talk more this afternoon when I get home, but I'm not sure what to do. She's being encouraged to diet crazily and basically being told Mom is too fat to know what's right for her. I'm afraid she won't listen to me!

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
FriendlyJocie said:
He also told her she was doing a good job and looked great. He had the gall to tell me afterwards, in private, that he had given it some thought and didn't want the girls to end up with my problems (I am somewhat overweight but have never faced obesity), and that he thought by encouraging the girls to get bone thin he'd prevent them having to go through the years I spent yo-yoing.
Everything that you just said is very disturbing to me. Your husband needs to read about eating disorders. Better yet, have him talk to someone like me who battled this beast for over 10 years. The comments your husband is making (good job and look great) are the WORST things you can say to a person with an eating disorder. I can understand his concern about obesity, but does he want his little girl laying on a hospital bed being tube fed? You have to convince your husband that this is a very serious matter. Eating disorders start out as a simple diet and turn into an obsession and addiction that takes YEARS and maybe even a lifetime to recover from. If you don't do something about this now it WILL worse.

I applaud you for recognizing this. Most parents are like your husband and ignore all the signs. Do not set this aside. Your instincts aren't lying to you.

Feel free to pm me if you want to talk.

Left Foot

Jan 17, 2008
Westchester, NY
Your husband does not understand the power of his comments with his daughters and he is unfortunately imparting bad information. If he feels comfortable making comments to you like "bone thin" then I can only imagine what he's telling your daughters. I empathize with your situation and respect Lissa's comments. I would add that you absolutely need to get your husband on board. I don't believe that your daughter will listen until the message becomes the same from both of you.

FriendlyJocie

Jan 16, 2008
Well, it's been very frustrating the past few days. DD reacted very negatively to my suggestions about her eating, ended up having a binge in front of me (M&Ms, cheese crackers, pringles) and screaming that I want her to be fat and out of control. Since then, she's been eating only fruit and diet soda, ignoring the meals I cook, trying just a bite or two and having grapes and lettuce mainly. I'm very unsure how to progress. I don't want this fight. I realize she isn't underweight but just her reactions to me prove to me that something is wrong. Ideas?

Aunt

PF Fanatic
Nov 4, 2007
It sounds like it is time for a visit to the family doctor. i would suggest the Dr talks privately to your husband too as it does not appear he is listening to you.

evilbrent

PF Addict
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
something's wrong.

parental intervention may not be the answer to an addictive-psychological problem.

lead by example, live a healthy life, love your child for who she IS, engage her in self-esteem building activities, develop very healthy lines of communication because you'll need them in the coming years if she's going to be anorexic.

remember, anorexia is a proper mental disease, it's not just a passing fad or a tendency to undereat because you didn't realise blah blah blah. It's a deliberate attempt to cause self-harm based on false impressions of self-image.

jenilouise

PF Addict
Oct 20, 2007
Oregon
Classic signs of anorexia which I have battled as well. Now therapy helped me because I felt out of control in life (I was sexually abused as a child) so my weight was like the one thing I could control. Plus I was a dancer and in that world eating disorders are almost as common as jazz shoes. I say take her to the doctor ASAP.