Pouch Safety child tracking device...

chuckmangeon

Dec 12, 2016
Has anyone tried the child tracking device from Pouch Safety (pouchsafety.com)? Looks pretty good. It's a bracelet that pairs with your iPhone/Android and alerts you when your child wanders too far off.

artmom

PF Fanatic
Feb 26, 2015
Canada
I'm guessing this is for very small kids. You can just watch your kids, too, or get a harness and leash.

chuckmangeon

Dec 12, 2016
Harness and leash? They're not animals. This Pouch Device seems perfect. My kids can play around freely and I won't get stressed out trying to spot them at the playground. I'm gonna give it a try.

TabascoNatalie

PF Addict
Jun 1, 2009
England and somewhere else
There are time and place to play freely. After my 3yo took off at an airport, i find harness a useful thing. Those techy things via smartphones... Pfff imagine battery dies, gets broken, child falls over and smashes the thing...

artmom

PF Fanatic
Feb 26, 2015
Canada
chuckmangeon said:
Harness and leash? They're not animals. This Pouch Device seems perfect. My kids can play around freely and I won't get stressed out trying to spot them at the playground. I'm gonna give it a try.
I don't understand why people are so offended or associate leash and harnesses for just animals. It's an effective safety tool that actually prevents a kid from running off or hiding somewhere. I had to use one after my kid ran off in a mall. I also learned that day that you can't always rely on strangers to help you find your kid. And if you think an electronic bracelet is above what you think is fit for animals, let me tell ya. This is just one additional shock feature away from electric dog collars.
This gadget sounds like it only alerts you after the fact and it doesn't physically stop the child from straying further away. I'm wondering if parents would be just staring at their iPhones to "keep an eye on their kids" rather than actually seeing what they're doing or about to do. If our parents and their parents were able to raise their kids without dependency on expensive electronics then there is no need to invest in some of this stuff.

Last edited:

TabascoNatalie

PF Addict
Jun 1, 2009
England and somewhere else
Or... Electronic tags for convicted offenders under house arrest :D
How would those prevent a toddler from running into the road?

I think there was a Simpsons episode about those, where Bart attaches his to a bird.

artmom

PF Fanatic
Feb 26, 2015
Canada
TabascoNatalie said:
Or... Electronic tags for convicted offenders under house arrest :D
How would those prevent a toddler from running into the road?

I think there was a Simpsons episode about those, where Bart attaches his to a bird.
I thought it was Millhouse. I have to see that episode again.

PracticalParent

Dec 1, 2016
All kids are different, situations are different, and risks are different so I don't imagine there is a one size fits all solution. And many safety products can become a crutch, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't use them. I'd be very interested to hear how this works out for you.

chuckmangeon

Dec 12, 2016
I ended up getting one from their website, pouchsafety.com, and I like it so far. It's obviously not a 100% solution and you still need to be a responsible parent, but it does a good job of adding additional piece of mind.