Pre-K Readiness...

jayman

PF Enthusiast
Nov 8, 2008
<r>So, my DS will be four in March and ready to start Pre-K is September. We're reviewing all the options, planning to attend open houses, and discussing schedules. <br/>
<br/>
Then I played the scenario through in my head... leaving my DS there, all alone, to fend for himself. Then I realized he won't be alone. Then I realized someone else has to help him and I asked myself I we're doing everything to make sure he's ready for school - not only in terms of education, but also in terms of attitude.<br/>
<br/>
He can go to the potty himself, although wipping and getting those pants up are a bit of challenge still. He sits still when he has something to do. I don't know how to make him better prepared...<br/>
<br/>
Obviously, he's only four and there is only so much anyone can expect and I'm sure the school staff understands that. But, what is there, if anything we should be paying attention to, that I might have easily missed?<br/>
<br/>
<br/>
The local community center offers a "Tot Spot" program for $250. This is the description - "Pre-schoolers are given a comfortable introduction to Pre Kindergarten in this 2-hour program held twice a week as parents drop off their children, who are then supervised by early childhood educators. This class offers activities that kids love to do, such as games, songs, stories, “show and tell”, while allowing children the opportunity to continue to develop their sense of independence."<br/>
<br/>
Sounds like a good place to start.<br/>
<br/>
What do you think? As always, your advice is sooooo appreciated <E>:spinny:</E> .</r>

JessicaMadison

PF Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2008
Hi there. I know how sad it is sending your children off to school. It is a pretty stressful situation. Not knowing how they are going to react to school. I think that the 'Tot Spot' program sounds like a great idea. Your son sounds like he is a great kid and that he is ready for school. Just make sure he knows his manners and is good at sharing. Did your son ever go to daycare?

All three of my children went to daycare for the last six months before they started school. I didn't want to send them but my sister told me that it was a good way to introduce a child to a school situation. Daycare gets them ready pretty well. The only one I had a problem with was Alexis. Because she was so attached to her father and I. But I wish you the best of luck.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
is the 250 a month , a session, or what. A good daycare will do most of those things.

To repeat the best advise IMO.

You want to be able to sit in and watch at least a couple of sessions. You also should be able to "drop in" and make sure you have a chance to observe all the people who work there. Also and this is hard to do. When you are auditing dont only focus on your DS. Pay attention to the other kids and things going on away from him.

jayman

PF Enthusiast
Nov 8, 2008
It's $250 for 10 two hour sessions over 5 weeks, $500 for 20 session over 5 weeks. I'm not sure about day care pricing but based on the advice here I am going to inquire, I've heard it's about $600 a month (5 days a week, all day) around here (NYC). Which is more bang for the buck and would get the younger sibling more personal time with Mom.

I definitely think DS needs some structure, offered with some understanding and guidance, before starting pre-k. We have a very lax household - it's not intentional, it's just the way it is with us. Works fine with a household of four, not so good in class room. And of course, we need to start setting some real rules at home...

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Well that does sound like a very good deal even for here. Not to be nitpicky or anything but I think thats tax deductable also.

Like I said before take the time to check it out. If they have a problem with that I wouldnt mess with them.

Lorelei

Mar 8, 2009
Michigan
Preschool classes can be fun, and day care can be necessary, but you can teach your youngster everything he needs to learn before school, if you wish. I think that was the original question? Forgive me if I misunderstood.

I am a teacher, with a degree in early childhood ed and elementary ed. I know that many schools expect kindergartners to have certain skills:
toileting, of course. Teachers might help with buckling overall straps or snapping blue jeans, but they do prefer if the child is completely independent. This does NOT apply to preschool, though, where the children are younger.

Also, 5 yr olds should be able to tie their shoes. Cut with a pair of children's scissors on a line. Recite the alphabet, and recognize most if not all the letters. Count to ten. Hold a pencil correctly. (My 2 yr old granddaughter does this. If a child holds a pencil wrong for years, it is much harder to fix this.)

It's especially helpful if the child knows "please, thank-you" and uses them. If the child learns about sharing, and some simple rules, like "Hands are for hugging, not hitting" and "feet belong on the floor", and "use an inside voice". I like to state rules in positives, rather than negatives. So if I see a child ready to take a swing at a friend, I can remind him of the rule, instead of saying "Don't!" all the time.

As for thinking that enrolling a preschooler in a preschool program will help him learn social skills, that isn't necessarily true. He'll learn about being in a group, but he'll learn social skills from OTHER preschoolers, who don't know any yet. They may hit, bite, push, shove, scream, and hoard toys. Preschoolers who are home with loving parents may learn to share, talk nicely, and behave.

jayman

PF Enthusiast
Nov 8, 2008
Thanks for the reply Lorelei! That's what I was looking for. With all the hoopla over school admissions, even for pre-k, I'm confused about what in the world these fancy schools expect... he's only four! I'm reading "what a kindergarten teach knows" and it's nice to know that even though the admissions packets are filled with glossy page after page, the teacher understand these are still little kids learning their way around what we adults consider the simplest of things.