Preconception Care for you...

abbey.barclay

Banned
Jul 9, 2009
<t>If you are trying to have a baby or are just thinking about it, it is not too early to prepare for a safe pregnancy and a healthy baby. You should speak with your healthcare provider about preconception care. Preconception care is care you receive before you get pregnant. It involves finding and taking care of any problems that might affect you and your baby later, like diabetes or high blood pressure. It also involves steps you can take to reduce the risk of birth defects and other problems. For example, you should take folic acid supplements to prevent neural tube defects. By taking action on health issues before pregnancy, you can prevent many future problems for yourself and your baby. Once you're pregnant, you’ll get prenatal care until your baby is born.</t>

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
good post.

One other thing I'll throw out there for anyone TTC. DW and I tried/let nature take it's course (varied from time to time, we did everything from just letting it happen to IUI) and the funny thing was that DW lost 30-35 ounds and boom suddenly she was pregnant.

Now, I'm not claiming that weigth control is the majic bullet, that you can't get pregnant if you're heavy of anything, just sharing that it was curious that as she took better care of herself (and hence lost weight) that we seemded to suddenly get pregnant.

Rosa

PF Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2009
Wales
Weight can prevent you ovulating as your body produces a set amount of FSH, so if your body mass increases, the effect of the FSH is decreased, kind of like how larger women often find that they need a stronger version of the contraceptive pill for it to work properly. You don't need to be massively over weight either, a lot of people think weight caused fertility issues are contained to obese people, but they aren't.
I've never taken any vitamins or supplements, they aren't regulated and can contain anything, and I eat properly.
I have problems with my kidney's so all of my pregnancies have basically been 9 month long kidney infections, which then turns into 9 months of thrush!