Preparing for the little one!...

DFWRusty

PF Regular
Nov 21, 2011
TX
Since I am going to be a dad, story on my situation here: http://www.parentingforums.org/showthread.php?p=127756#post127756[/URL]

I am wanting to do everything I can to start preparing now! I want to be as equiped, knowledgeable, and ready as I possible can for whats to come over the next 8 or so months and so on![/COLOR]

I own my own house and I have a very good friend that rents a room off of me. I know I am going to have to start baby proofing the house, as well as figure out what I want to do as far as where the baby will be when he/ she is at home! [/COLOR]

I am pretty sure that no matter what happens between me and my babies momma, that once the baby is born she will live with me for atleast a few months so that we can enjoy this experience together. Which means not only do I have to make arrangements for my child, but my babies momma and her 4 year old little girl that will be with her as well. This 4 year old girl is as precious as you can get! Her and I have become very close and although she calls me "uncle Rusty" I feel like I am more of a father figure to her than her dead beat dad! [/COLOR]

I'm not going to rush that too much at this point, cuz we still have time before I have to start making these arrangements, but using previous experiences in life I know the key to success is preparation perparation perparation!

We have also decided that we are not going to find out what the baby is before it is born! I love a mystery and I love the un-known so it's not a big shocker that I dont want to know what it is till it's born!

Any tips or advice on my situation is much appreciated! If anyone has a good book they would recomend I might be interested! How ever, my concentration level is at an all time low with everything going on in my life, so keep that in mind. Maybe a very direct book that caters to a single dad or just dad's in general! [/COLOR]

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
well, the "bible" on what to expect is "What to expecct when you're expecting." Which is primarily written for expecting mom's but there's nothing wrong with viewing things through mom's eyes...there's also a version for fathers I think, plus BN and amazon have other books written for dads, I can't vouch for them.

When we were expecting our first I cregistered as verybestbaby dot com which i'm not particularly endorsing or anything, they send you emails every week telling you about the baby's development which I thought was pretty cool....remembering that the site is run by a formula maufacturer...so consider their perspective....there are others around like that I think.

DFWRusty

PF Regular
Nov 21, 2011
TX
Welp, we have our first doctors appoitment tomorrow! I'm excited and nervous.... They are going to do a transvaginal sonogram. I'm going with her to the doctor.

We (baby momma and I) have been hanging out a lot, spent the entire holiday weekend together, and have spent a few nights this past week together. The more that we hang out, it seems the more we keep becoming closer! This is almost scary, yet awesome. We have never had such deep conversation and have been learning more about eachother.

One thing that is super cool about her is that she has always enjoyed our offroading sport, and enjoys helping us guys out in the shop. Right now, we are trying to get my jeep and a couple others ready for a huge offroad event on New Years. She was at the shop last night and decided to jump in and give us a hand. I find it extremely attractive when a girl gets dirty working on a jeep! :D

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Good luck on the drs visit. I went to pretty much all of my wife's appointments...many of them are routine and not as exciting as others, but I think it really means a lot to just be there. I won't go into details, but there were a couple of appointments that it was absoluteluy essential that I was there, she would have had a very tough time on her own. So, my advice is to always go, even wehn nothing cool like a sonogram is going to happen.

How cool that the two of you are bonding this way. Glad to see a relationship going together here. Best wishes to you.

And I feel kinda pervy commenting on the attractiveness thing, so I'll just say "werd."

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
yep the appointments are kinda fun.

Its great she helps in the garage.

I cant help but think of the "worlds collide" Sienfeld episode. Next time you break something on the jeep. She will be like, "Great I just fixed that!" Or "Three hours to replace a lifter. I can do that in 20 minutes with my eyes closed" "You smell like beer"

jk
good luck at the app

DFWRusty

PF Regular
Nov 21, 2011
TX
Thanks for all the kind words!

BAD NEWS..... Looks like I'm not going to be a dad just yet! The obgyn said that the pregnancy is probably a no go..... They couldn't find a heart beat and he said given all her numbers, the time line, and the size of the sac that there should most deffinetly be a heart beat. He doesn't want to do a dns, but he pretty much said unless there is a miracle by next friday(were going for another sonogram Friday), that it is most likely not going to happen and that she will mis-carry by x-mas!

I can't remember the term he used for this situation. It is where she becomes pregnant, and an at certain point (with in 7-14 days) the fetus stops developing. Although the fetus does that, everything else carries on as if she is having a normal pregnancy. The sac groes in size, the hormone levels increase and everything. He said normally this will run it's course with in the 12 week period.

Luckily for me and ashley, I am an extremely life loving person and live with a postitive mentality. We went to lunch afterwords and I kept her smiling, and made sure she was cheerful and in good spirits before I went back to work. The both of us are sad over this, but we are both looking at the good side that this experience brought us together like it did and we are going to give "us" a try and maybe that was what was meant to happen out of this. I believe everything happens for a reason, even if we dont always understand the reasoning for it!

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Awe, I'm sorry to hear that! Even in the early stages it can still hurt, hope things do turn around...it's not unheard of, for you guys.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
tough deal dude. sorry to hear it. I Could tell you were up for the event.

Sounds like are dealing. Thats good.

ElliottCarasDad

PF Addict
Sep 10, 2008
Iowa
That's heartbreaking news, sorry man.

We went through the last 6 months of my wifes first pregnancy constantly worrying and getting sonigrams every month because they seen a "growth sac" taking up space where one one of our sons lungs were. Checked every month and still the same until 2weeks until due date and they said all was good and could have a normal delivery and lungs turned out just fine. I guess I'm saying its okay to be scared, but you can still have hope.

Last edited:

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
That just sucks so much... I'm so sorry dude - but I'm glad to hear you are coping and supporting the mom, and that it sounds like its not the end of the road for you two. Its always easier to deal with something if you don't have to do it alone.