private tutor at home...

bobspock100

Banned
Jan 10, 2015
amsterdam, netherlands
my neighbor, 12 yr old crippled boy, cannot attend school for the next 5 yrs, so we have hired a very young female substitute teacher from the school district, to privately teach him at home for 4 hours a day, 3 days a week, at 100 euro's per day. it appears that the education is working much better than in the classroom. I have calculated that 3 months of home school like this is equal to a full yr of classroom learning. at todays rate, 1 euro = $1.156 USD. we also purposely selected this particular teacher because of the age, thinking they might relate better and facilitate things.

observing this difference in education performance, I now begin to question the quality of public education. I wonder if the system in place, is responsible for the schools being inefficient. granted the 1 on 1 approach will always be more effective than a group approach, but it seems to me that we should be able to close the gap somewhat, and make the schools better.

there is some drawback to the 1 on 1 approach in the home. that is the lack of social intermingling that is inherent in public scenarios. we try to offset this with the boy by allowing as many friends as possible to visit and socialize, and sleep over. in some ways, he is allowed much more freedom of things than average, trying to offset the disability. he has friends over at least a couple of times a week, that spend the night right in there with him.

so I have this article to discuss the private tutor teaching as opposed to the public school. it is still early with this, so if anyone has any guidance on pitfalls, I would like to hear it.

Last edited: