Products for 0 to 5 year olds...

badgers

Feb 5, 2008
Hi,

I am a student at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. I am currently taking a Marketing class and have been assigned a project in which I must create a marketing plan for a product for children aged 0 to 5 (the target market can be anything within that range, for example 4-5 years old or 2-3, etc).

I have no contact with children of that age and have no idea what popular products are. The product can be anything--food, games, toys, etc. I was wondering if any parents out there with children in this age group have any suggestions or ideas for certain products I might be able to make a marketing plan for.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Let's see.........children 0-5 love bright colors, the wierder the toy the better. My daughter saw this thing the other day that facinated her. It was a back scratcher and when you turned it upside down it sounded like an odd cats meow. It worked almost like a rain stick does. For the life of her she could NOT figure out what was making that sound. Eventually when she figured it out (she's six) she wanted to know more about it like how it made that sound in a tiny long tube.
So maybe one of those that is bright in color, that's not breakable. I'm sure they have them for kids somewhere. As a parent it was really funny to watch.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
well I can give you a list that is 10 pages long, do youhave anything specific in mind?

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
Anything with super heroes will have my son's attention.

Cups, dishes, shirts, shoes, pajamas, toothbrushes...you name it...if it has superheroes on it, my son wants it.

badgers

Feb 5, 2008
thanks those are great suggestions.

what about any products that you wish you could improve or change? or something that makes a certain product unique/better than all its competing products?

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
<r><FONT font="Arial"><s></s>You know what I always wanted to do…<e></e></FONT><br/>
<FONT font="Arial"><s></s> <e></e></FONT><br/>
<FONT font="Arial"><s></s>Open a business that was like Chuck E Cheese, only with better stuff instead of crappy videogames. There’s a place in Omaha called “The Amazing Pizza Machine”…and it’s like a Dave and Buster’s for kids. In Denver, there are a few fun places for older kids and teenagers…but there are not too many places for 2 - 5 year olds. Have an air bounce section, a video game section, a toy section, a huge lego and Thomas the train building section, etc…<e></e></FONT><br/>
<FONT font="Arial"><s></s> <e></e></FONT><br/>
<FONT font="Arial"><s></s>I’m not sure what kind of licenses one would have to have, but it would also be nice to have a fun place/babysitting arena parents could drop off their kids on a Friday night. Kinda like a daycare, but at night…and…on a whim. I’m sure there are all kinds of reasons why that wouldn’t work though, but I sure think it would be cool from a parenting standpoint to just go drop off your kid and get away. Actually, I wouldn’t leave my kid with a place I didn’t know…lol…but it’s nice to dream.<e></e></FONT></r>

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I wish there was a place were the kids could have all that and the parents go outside of the room where they could sit and watch the room and have a cup of coffee and not have to worry about big kids bullying the little one's.

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
musicmom said:
I wish there was a place were the kids could have all that and the parents go outside of the room where they could sit and watch the room and have a cup of coffee and not have to worry about big kids bullying the little one's.

That's not a bad idea for someone with a peanut for a brain!

A day/night care place on the lower level, and a coffee house/sportsbar for adults on the top floor with a view!

Not bad, stinkbutt!

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
yep nichole calls tehn Trains! We don't watch the show though.
My dd loves anything with princesss on it or shrek lol