Pulled a plastic bed out of basement storage...is it safe?

TomBombidil

Dec 3, 2021
We recently pulled a red plastic little tikes bed out of the basement - it was my wife's when she was a kid and has probably been in the basement for 20 years. We cleaned it off very thoroughly with alcohol and removed all mold, and it's a pretty sick bed. But it's still a little bit stinky. Like you don't really notice it until you touch it and smell your hand but it just kind of smells like a basement, which makes sense as it's been sitting in a basement for 15 years. We were pretty thorough in removing mold and any other dirt and grime - is this a safe thing to let my child sleep in? I'd hate to be irresponsible and end up giving her cancer from the basement bed. Not sure if the smell is something actually bad or if that's just how the bed smells now. She loves the thing.

Moonstone

Nov 9, 2020
USA
Love your username.

Hmm, that's a good question. Can you buy a new one like it? Alternatively, you could have a professional (not sure what kind of professional. Mold removal expert?) come check it out but that would probably be expensive. You could also call up your daughter's pediatrician and ask for their recommendation.

Personally, I err on the side of caution, so I'd be less inclined to use it.

Your daughter might be upset to lose it if she loves it but you could make it fun for her by letting her participate in buying a replacement.