"...because he thought it was funny."...

zeitgeist

PF Fiend
Oct 8, 2008
Gizmodo - Oregon Man Used an Electric Dog Collar to Shock His Kids "Because He Thought It Was Funny" - Dog collar
Salem, Oregon resident Todd Marcum, whose name we will use repeatedly because of the nature of his crime, has been arrested for maliciously abusing his four young children with an electric dog collar.

According to police lieutenant Dave Okada, Marcum admitted that Marcum shocked his children, aged 3, 6, 8, and 9, "because he thought it was funny."

Marcum told police that he would chase the 3-year-old boy around with the collar, making him cry at the thought of being shocked. Okada said that because of the boy's behavior, it is likely that the children were shocked more than once.

The collars, being powered by a nine-volt battery, are not strong enough to actually injure a child (or a dog), but that's no excuse for this jackass's behavior. Marcum is currently in jail in Salem on four charges of first-degree criminal mistreatment, and we hope he stays there.
Father uses dog collar to shock kids | StatesmanJournal.com | Statesman Journal
:angry:

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
so, i'm confused, was it becaause of their behavior, or because he thought it was funny...? - Jackass

maybe he'll have fun running around the jail scared he's gonna be someone's prison bride...

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
WOW what a complete jerk! Seriously, that's messed up... Thank god they threw that idiot in jail. If only they'd put a collar on him and shock him all day long.

GracieK

May 7, 2009
I suppose it would be too Orwellian to ask for psychological testing before allowing people to be parents...:rolleyes:

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
GracieK said:
I suppose it would be too Orwellian to ask for psychological testing before allowing people to be parents...:rolleyes:
yeah, prob a li'l bit...but I don't see anything wrong with having to pass a test, about the same complexity of a written driver's license test, before you're allowed to take a baby home from the hospital.

zeitgeist

PF Fiend
Oct 8, 2008
I'm glad as any that the kids will be all right in the end, but this kind of a reaction...

I am entirely against the idea of any kind of government mandated prerequisites for having children. While no one is born with a gun or a car, every normal child is born with a reproductive system. Having children is not a privilige that the government can grant, it's an innate part of every person's biology and it's each person's right to reproduce as they see fit.

Parents are given every opportunity to learn these days. The hospital we went to offered free classes on childbirth, child rearing, breast feeding, safety in the home. Fire stations will show you how to properly install a car seat. The internet is FULL of information for any parent to find and learn.

Not a single one of these classes, web-sites, or institiutions would - until this moron came along - sit parents-to-be down to explain that putting shock collars on their children is a bad idea no matter how funny they think it is.

It's one of those outlier situations that wouldn't have been covered. No class, test, or evaluation will be able to predict when this, or any of a host of other doofuses will short circuit and do something dumb.

zeitgeist

PF Fiend
Oct 8, 2008
Never heard of it except as a particularly disgusting sexual practice... which doesn't seem to be what you're referring to.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
zeitgeist said:
Never heard of it except as a particularly disgusting sexual practice... which doesn't seem to be what you're referring to.
me either...LOL, and I truely hope that wasn't what he meant

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
zeitgeist said:
I'm glad as any that the kids will be all right in the end, but this kind of a reaction...

I am entirely against the idea of any kind of government mandated prerequisites for having children. While no one is born with a gun or a car, every normal child is born with a reproductive system. Having children is not a privilige that the government can grant, it's an innate part of every person's biology and it's each person's right to reproduce as they see fit.

Parents are given every opportunity to learn these days. The hospital we went to offered free classes on childbirth, child rearing, breast feeding, safety in the home. Fire stations will show you how to properly install a car seat. The internet is FULL of information for any parent to find and learn.

Not a single one of these classes, web-sites, or institiutions would - until this moron came along - sit parents-to-be down to explain that putting shock collars on their children is a bad idea no matter how funny they think it is.

It's one of those outlier situations that wouldn't have been covered. No class, test, or evaluation will be able to predict when this, or any of a host of other doofuses will short circuit and do something dumb.
well said, and my endorsement of certification testing was made in part in gest andin part out of frustration.

You brought this back (very eloquently) to the basic notion that no good intentions, no matter how intrusive or heavy handed, are going to prevent truly stupid (or evil) people from doing truly stupid (or evil) things.

Thanks.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
zeitgeist said:
I think what he meant was this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirty_Sanchez_(TV_series) which makes much more sense in the context or the thread and is not an inappropriate post.

(but now we all know just a little bit more about Fallon and zeitgeist's sphere of knowledge...;) )

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Zeit - we're talking about a psychological test, not a test of knowelege. Not "how smart are you" but "how mentally stable are you". You misunderstood.

Either way, we were mostly joking and I figured that was pretty obvious.

Clearly its always going to be everyone's given right as a human being to reproduce, I just sometimes find that fact somewhat unfortunate, because I actually care about the well being of the children being born to these people. ;)

zeitgeist

PF Fiend
Oct 8, 2008
Xero said:
Clearly its always going to be everyone's given right as a human being to reproduce, I just sometimes find that fact somewhat unfortunate, because I actually care about the well being of the children being born to these people. ;)

Yeah, it's damned if you do, damned if you don't. In this case, though, "don't" damns fewer people. Lesser of two evils.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
I dont see a problem.

"I SAID PUT THE CHEESE CURLS DOWN zzzzzST" :skeptical:

"DADDYS CELL PHONE DOESNT BELONG IN THE TOILET zzzzST":skeptical:

"MY SANDLES ARE NOT FOR TUG OF WAR WITH THE DOG zzzzST, zzzzST"

I AM googling to see if I can find one that fits DW :rolleyes:

"YOU MOWED OVER THE GARDEN HOSE zzzzzZZstZZZZzzST(<I>sparks flying, jumper cables hooked to the car battery</I>) :wink:

Take it easy I am mostly kidding ;)

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
LMAO Bssage

totally OT but every time I type "Bssage" I want it to be "bassage"...I think subconsciously I want to call you an ass ;-)