"If you don't shut that baby up, I will shut her up for you."...

zeitgeist

PF Fiend
Oct 8, 2008
I could have sworn we talked about this in here, but I can't find the original thread. Anyway, here's the resolution:

washingtonpost.com
ATLANTA -- A Georgia man has been found guilty of second degree child cruelty for slapping a crying 2-year-old at a Walmart.

Roger Stephens of Stone Mountain was convicted Tuesday in a Gwinnett County bench trial, which is held without a jury.

Stephens, who was 61 when arrested, will spend six months in jail followed by six months of home confinement.

Authorities say the girl and her mother were shopping on Aug. 31, when the toddler began crying. The police report says Stephens approached the mother and said, "If you don't shut that baby up, I will shut her up for you."

Authorities say Stephens then slapped her four or five times.

According to police, Stephens said: "See, I told you I would shut her up."

A call to Stephens' court-appointed lawyer was not immediately returned.
It's not long enough. There are some things you don't do.

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
uh. jeremy. the guy was bothered by the kiddo's fit. he didn't want to have to put up with fussy kids while doing his own shopping. which is fine. but he did not and never has had the right to lay his hands on another person's child for any reason what so ever. <U>He KNew Better</U>. i can tell ya right now--if a person were to try that with my kids, even tell me they'd do this or that in any sort of threatening manner or attitude in voice and chances are they'd be opening a can of well deserved whup-a** . :mad: many other parents would feel the same way. some would just be able to keep themselves much calmer.

i remember this mess pretty well. here's a link.
Man Slaps Child in Walmart

sorry if the "whup-a**" offends anyone.

ElliottCarasDad

PF Addict
Sep 10, 2008
Iowa
Jeremy+3 said:
If you can't be bothered to parent your child you can't exactly be shocked when someone else does.
So a kid is crying in a store and you jump to the conclusion that the mother isn't parenting her child? lol. Your kids have never cried is a store?

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
That would play out something like this with My Dw:

Man has all facial features forcable removed in wallmart by crazed woman.

Roger Stephens of Stone Mountain had his hair, beard, teeth and nose removed by a Keokuk Iowa woman.

Witness say Stevens passed M.Sage at wall mart in the canned soup section. Witness then say M.Sage grabbed Mr Stevens by his overgrown beard threw him to the floor and began to beating and kicking him until her hands were bloodied and swollen. She then filled her purse with Cambels Cream of Mushroom Soup and continued to tee off on his face until swat was able to secure the area using tear gas and rubber bullets.

Mr Stephens. Currently at Mercy hospital awaiting a face transplant. Was unable to respond to police and reporters at this time.

Mrs Sage seemed unrepentant and would only say "Who's cryin now you redneck btch" as paramedics pulled a lone tooth from her heel.

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
bssage---:speechlol::speechroflmao:

that makes me feel soooo much better. nice to know others would loose it too. thanks.:)

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
Dadu2004 said:
LOL Bryan!

Jeremy - Are you serious? Please tell me you're joking.
I would bet he's serious...that's the vibe I get from him :rolleyes: we can't all be as perfect as Jeremy though.

anyways....had this been my child he wouldn't have lived to serve a day in jail.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
Jeremy+3 said:
If you can't be bothered to parent your child you can't exactly be shocked when someone else does.
really...so next time your 2 yr old is crying about something in public any old stranger should just feel free to walk over and slap them in the face 4-5 times?!? I sware, just when I stop thinking you're a troll you through out things like that

xox.ilu.xox

PF Addict
Dec 17, 2009
Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada
ROFLMAO! bssage! thats freaking awesome! I'd probably be the same way. haha.

That just makes me sick to my stomach that a person would do something like that to someone elses child, and a 2 year old to boot!

I really hope jeremy is joking with that comment, but if hes not.....shame shame....

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Lmao bssage that's the most amazing thing I've ever read. I would have definitely gone off the deep end if that were my kid. That guy would be DEAD. Its funny because at the very least, I carry mace in my purse and it would have given me the perfect opportunity to use it. :p

But seriously, its not okay for anyone to smack a baby in the face, let alone a stranger.

And yeah what Jeremy said is kinda uncalled for (why you would condone a random stranger assaulting ANYONE's baby is beyond me), BUT I have to say that I can NOT stand it when people don't parent their kids in public, and everyone else who's standing around suffers for it. I was seriously about to go MAD the other day when I was at work and a couple came in with their son (I would say 2 years old) and he was playing with something off the shelf (sitting in the cart though) and they took it from him and he just started SCREAMING BLOODY MURDER. And they didn't do ANYTHING. They literally walked around and ignored him completely for a half an HOUR while they did their shopping. He screamed at the top of his lungs the whole time. It was the most frustrating, ear piercing sound I've ever heard. His face was red and he was just utterly being a little monster. Everyone in the store was completely appalled by it. You could not stand anywhere in the store that you couldn't hear this kid screaming. Non stop. For a half an hour. I saw them several times, the parents weren't even looking at him. They completely ignored him. I wanted to rip my hair out. Those parents should be ashamed of themselves. And yeah, my kid has definitely cried in a store before, but I end it as quickly as possible. If he's being bad enough, I take him out of the store or at least into the bathroom to take a moment in private to calm down (but really that never happens, its crazy how well behaved my kid is I am truely blessed) and if its important enough to finish my shopping and I have to stay in there around all those other innocent people who aren't screaming in my ear, I find a way to calm him down. I have a bag for this purpose. I have a sippy cup ready, a snack, some little toys, a book, some stickers, whatever. Sometimes (and yes, I try to stay away from this cause I know its kinda spoiling lol) I'll just grab some candy from the checkout and that always works hahaha. Either way, whatever goes on with him is my problem, and all those people at Wal-Mart or whatever shouldn't have to listen to my kid scream. If he can't stop, then its obviously a bad time to shop. Those people at my job made me so mad because it was like the whole world revolved around them. They wanted to ignore their kid (to teach him a lesson or something?) so they dealt with his screaming and in turn made all of us deal with it too. THAT IS SO RUDE. So no, I'm not saying anyone should ever hit someone else's kid, but I can say that I could see how someone might get to the point of considering it lol.

I don't agree with what Jeremy said about someone else parenting your kids
(especially when it refers to hitting) but I do agree with him that bad things can happen if you just let your kids run rampant around others. And I know that several of us here have said some words to someone else's kids before because their parents were ignoring their bad behaviour, because we've had a thread on it before and its pretty common among us that we can't stand bad parenting and we can and will step in if it is affecting us personally. We just wouldn't hit anybody.

Glad that guy is in jail though. Maybe she was parenting her kid and maybe she wasn't, but you need to have way more self control over yourself than to hit a baby.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Jeremy....sometimes I wonder where the hell your head is at!

Anyways...the first time a stranger even said those words to one of my kids would be the last time they spoke anything, there would not be enough time for them to even raise thier hand!

How I choose to parent or not parent my child is my buisness, nobody else's. Nobody walks in my shoes or lives my life, what might look like indifference to other's may actually have a purpose or reasoning behind it.

Now having said that I hate screaming kids also and try to avoid having mine do it, but there are times where it just can't be helped I live an hour away from the store so up and going isn't always possible, ut I do try and then if that doesn't work I ignore.

You guys should see what a shopping trip with eight kids looks like...the people probably think they are being invaded!

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
How I choose to parent or not parent my child is my buisness, nobody else's. Nobody walks in my shoes or lives my life, what might look like indifference to other's may actually have a purpose or reasoning behind it.
I couldn't agree with you more. I hate the way a lot of children act in public but I will only step in if someone is in danger or no parent is around to correct the situation. If there is a parent with the child I wouldn't assume I know their situation or step on their toes. While it's completely annoying to see parents seeming to ignore their child's fit I would never consider stepping in to comment on their parenting

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
I agree 100%.

Its difficult when DD begins to stem (hitting herself in the head throwing stuff, or yelling) in public. Its especially bad because she wouldn't appear to have a handicap at first glance. Many times (most) if you let it run its course she will be back to laughing in short order. But If you intervene it escalates. And if a stranger does it immediately jumps to def-com 4. I think its obvious (thankfully) to bystanders that we are watching this situation. We do get the "looks" from time to time but screw them we know what we are doing.

The only thing I would add to M2M, Xero's, and Fallon's post is to Think First (which I'm sure they do).

My biggest pet peeve is parents who aren't there. At stores parks or anywhere. All kids need some supervision in public.

And we do remove her when needed. She has never made it through a movie. And has been taken out of more restaurants or events than we can count. But we still try hoping for the little wins.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
I'm glad the guy's in jail. They should throw away the key. You slap my girl, I'll slap you, and you will be the one regretting it.

I agree with Xero - I think we all hate it when parents don't parent their children, though I'd be more inclined to slap the parent, not the child (or at least tell her to shut up her kid)... After all, the child is just acting her age - the parents is the one who should control the situation.

xox.ilu.xox

PF Addict
Dec 17, 2009
Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada
singledad said:
I'm glad the guy's in jail. They should throw away the key. You slap my girl, I'll slap you, and you will be the one regretting it.

I agree with Xero - I think we all hate it when parents don't parent their children, though I'd be more inclined to slap the parent, not the child (or at least tell her to shut up her kid)... After all, the child is just acting her age - the parents is the one who should control the situation.
yes, yes and yes! Totally agree. If the child is hard to handle, remove her from the situation. go for a drive and come back when shes calmed down! thats what we have to do with hay, sometimes she screams bloody murder and thats our queue to go! lol

zeitgeist

PF Fiend
Oct 8, 2008
I can't find it now, but I'm fairly sure I remember reading that the kid wasn't freaking out, just expressing displeasure or tiredness.

There is no situation where it's appropriate to slap a stranger's kid.

Nes

PF Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2009
Canada
Agreed. If someone else came up and slapped one of my children he's be getting out of there in a stretcher...