Re: The joys of gender-less parenting?...

amandarobinson

Apr 12, 2012
Northern England
Does anyone believe in gender neutral parenting?
Hi,

I am Amanda Robinson 2nd year Television production student from Leeds University and am doing research into gender neutral parenting. This was sparked by the recent Sasha Laxton case in the news.

I am looking for opinions and viewpoints on the subject matter, also response from people who currently raise their children 'gender neutral' would be much appreciated.

Best Wishes,
Amanda Robinson

csdax

PF Enthusiast
May 5, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I've not gone as far as raising my kids as 'gender neutral', but I can definitely see the appeal of it.

I do everything I can to avoid exposing my kids to gender stereotypes, but I often feel like I'm fighting a losing battle. I can't stand the 'pink aisle' at the stores, but my daughter still gravitates towards it because of the influences of the other girls at school. I use instances of stereotyping we run into as teaching opportunities. Even when I was 7 months pregnant with my 2nd child, I was outside building a deck because I couldn't let my 2-year-old daughter see Mummy sitting inside while Daddy and Granddad built the deck! I live the example, but it's an uphill struggle.