Real World Parenting or Abuse?...

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
I think we do need to separate what happened when we were kids and now to some extent. Human rights have come a very long way since then (okay, I'm going off my age, but I'm not THAT old).

When I was a child forced adoption was still legal in Australia. Teenagers who were pregnant were taken from their families and institutionalised and had their babies taken away for adoption after birth. Many children my age were the result of forced adoption, funnily enough the friend I mentioned just before is one, she's still trying to track down her birth mother.

Obviously that was wrong, and was not a reason to remove those teenagers from their homes, but we can't hold that against the current system. Just to use an example that I am familiar with.

Human rights in general has made leaps and bounds in the last few decades, child welfare included.

TabascoNatalie

PF Addict
Jun 1, 2009
England and somewhere else
Forced adoption is still happening in the UK. Like a recent case where an Italian woman was put into psychiatric unit, drugged up, c-sectioned and baby taken for adoption here in UK. Ok, she had mental health issues. But is it a "human rights" way to go about it? Certainly not. Especially when it involves foreign nationals. Children lose their native language, their religion, ties with extended family.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
So, again - Are you saying that suspected abuse should NOT be reported?

It is clear that you don't think child welfare should get involved in situations like in the OP. So when is an investigation warranted?

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
Well, I'm relieved to realize that I partially misunderstood you.

Yes, it sounds like the actions taken by social workers in England specifically may need more work, but again - we don't have all the pertinent facts. At least you're not advocating simply looking the other way, as I though you were :)