Reputation question...

csdax

PF Enthusiast
May 5, 2012
Ontario, Canada
My rep power is currently '0', but I've been repping people anyway :). I've just found out that in another thread I repped someone but it came through as negative. Maybe I just clicked the wrong button, but I just wanted to check that the other rep I've given hasn't come through as negative, too!

From the people I've repped, has it come through as positive or negative? On other forums I can see a list of rep I've given, in the UserCP, but I can't on this one - maybe because I've 0 rep power?

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
I'm a little fuzzy on how exactly Rep and Rep Power works...I think in your case you see that your rep score has gone up and I think your rep power will go up after some time milestones go bay. I believe Rep Power is some combination or Rep and time.

Frankly, it's not used a whole lot here. It's nice to give someone postivie rep when you think they've done something particularly good (yes, click the black and white yin.yang symbol then select that you approve or disprove of their post.) You can only give rep to the same person after you've also given it to others, not sure how often or how many, exactly how it works...

Personally, I'd rather not even have the negative rep option. I think if someone is being a bad member/abusing the rules, then the mods should ban them, otherwise you either take issue with a comment made or applaud it, but that's just me, some people like to show their disdain for people's comments.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
It has to do with your "Rep Power" number. If your number is 0, when you give rep no matter what option you choose (pos or neg), it will not change the number of their Rep score at all. You can see people's reps for/against you when you edit your profile, and if they see one from someone who has a 0, it will come up as a gray box that represents it's neutrality. If you have a rep power number of 10, then when you pos rep somebody it will give them 10 points on their reputation and they will see a green box. If you neg rep them it will take 10 points away from their reputation and they will see a red box. Any comment you make, whether it be negative, positive, or neutral can be seen by the person you rep. I do know for the most part how it works, but it's a really long explanation lol and this seems basic enough. :)