sass...

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
how do you deal with it? I'm looking for some new ideas on how to handle my little angels mouth when she gets out of control. I'm not even sure she understands that her tone is what gets her in trouble...how do I explain to a 5 yr old that sometimes it's not what you say but how you say it?

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
At our house, we let the sass go for a while...figuring he was only 4, so that's what kids are like. Then, I had enough, and now we punish it just like any other misbehavior. Only with Bradley backtalk, there is no warning...it's just an immediate "You just lost your dessert"

Seems to be working good. At least with me. Mom lets him sass her sometimes...so the consistency isn't what it should be. :)

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
I try to catch her everytime...she knows backtalk is going to get her in trouble, I'm just not sure if she cares...lol sometimes she just can't stop herself.

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
fallon said:
sometimes she just can't stop herself.

lol...I know what you mean. The eye-rolling followed by a dramatic "I HEARD YOU!" or "I'M DOING IT!" just comes out of Bradley without thinking.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
FooserX said:
lol...I know what you mean. The eye-rolling followed by a dramatic "I HEARD YOU!" or "I'M DOING IT!" just comes out of Bradley without thinking.
that's exactly what I mean...these are the kinda things that make me want to pull my hair out:arghh:

Kim

PF Fiend
Apr 3, 2007
St. Louis, MO
I have been getting a lot of sass from Hannah too.

We played around one day experimenting with different ways to talk.

I had a "mom voice" and a "silly voice" and a "scolding voice" and a "sarcastic voice" etc. Then I gave her the "attitude" voice. She didn't like it. I told her that I didn't like it either! So now, I just remind her when she is using her "attitude voice" that it isn't very nice and she needs to use her "Hannah" voice.

It was fun while we were experimenting with all of the different voices, and it helped her understand how she sounded when she was copping an attitude.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
hannah's mommy said:
I have been getting a lot of sass from Hannah too.

We played around one day experimenting with different ways to talk.

I had a "mom voice" and a "silly voice" and a "scolding voice" and a "sarcastic voice" etc. Then I gave her the "attitude" voice. She didn't like it. I told her that I didn't like it either! So now, I just remind her when she is using her "attitude voice" that it isn't very nice and she needs to use her "Hannah" voice.

It was fun while we were experimenting with all of the different voices, and it helped her understand how she sounded when she was copping an attitude.
I love that idea...thanks a lot :)

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I'm not sure Fallon. Mine just kinda know what's not appropriate and I can usually stop them with a look. Depending on what it is that they say depends on the punishment. I usually explain why it's innappropriate. I seize opportunity when I see other children or adults being sassy and I'll point it out to them and say "now....what does that make you think of that person"...is that how you want others to see you?
That's probably a bit much for a five year old.
I explain to my son that he will meet more people being respectful. He loves friends.
You could always sass her and then ask her (kneeling down to her level) now how did that make you feel? Can you tell me how I could have said that better that would not have hurt your feelings?
Maybe something like that??

jenilouise

PF Addict
Oct 20, 2007
Oregon
I use the example of the disrespectful boy we once saw and I said, "Do you want people to think you are like that boy?" or I say "Princesses don't balktalk." That works for some reason.

jenilouise

PF Addict
Oct 20, 2007
Oregon
Oh we have had some creative ones like "Princesses don't talk with their mouth full" and "Princesses don't pass gas in the living room." With all girls it is a great way to teach manners.

Shacoya

Jan 10, 2008
WA State
Some very funny methods!

Wonderful technique Hannah's Mom!

The one I have used and read about alot is to be "unable to hear" certain tones of voice. Works best when it's not a reply to something you said.

As in: "I'm sorry, dear daughter/son, I cannot understand you when you talk that way. What did you really mean to say?" in a <I>very </I>calm rational voice.
My own daughter has mostly mastered her Sassy tones now. She was naturally gifted with Sass from birth, and it caused her problems in all of her relationships.

Another time, when we were all on a trip, and had a captive audience so to speak; Dear Dad and I launched into a conversation in which we were disrespectful, and sassy, using certain tones of voice. Our children were absolutely shocked, and fascinated - but very upset! It grabbed their attention so well we were really able to get them to understand what they sound like, and how they treat each other. My husband and I get along so well, they have never heard us talk to each other that way except in a teasing manner, so it was very effective.