School Survey Asks Which Students Will Get Pregnant...

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
I wonder how the full "lesson plan" went on this one...

<I>JACKSON, Miss. -- The father of a Chastain Middle School sixth-grader said he wants a teacher fired following a survey students completed that found his daughter was likely to get pregnant before graduating high school. </I>

<I>Curtis Lyons said that when his daughter came home from school Monday she told him what had happened. </I>

<I>"She was humiliated," Lyons said. "She's an honor student."</I>

School Survey Asks Which Students Will Get Pregnant - Jackson News Story - WAPT Jackson
(full story)

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
What about self fulfilling prophesy? That's just crazy.

I could understand if it were a lesson where the children were randomly picked in accordance to statistics in order to teach the danger... but based on a survey?

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Some schools need to quit treating these children as if they are science experiments.

PennQuaker09

PF Fiend
Oct 8, 2007
Durham, NC
Well without knowing all of the facts, I would have to say maybe there is a reason why everyone thinks she's going to be pregnant. A slut is a slut even if they're honor students.

PennQuaker09

PF Fiend
Oct 8, 2007
Durham, NC
I'm sorry. I wasn't speaking specifically about her, I just sayiing that as a generalization.

However, you would be surprised at how fast kids start having sex these days.

.:Kalli Rae:.

PF Fiend
Apr 18, 2008
Rapid City SD
Oh ok, I took that wrong. Sorry :).

Yeah I can imagine..Ok well I don't want to imagine because I have a niece who is going into the 6th grade next year and a my oldest 2 are gonna be next, soon. They are to young to be thinking of sex and getting pregnant. :(

etceterae

PF Enthusiast
Mar 29, 2008
.:Kalli Rae:. said:
Oh ok, I took that wrong. Sorry :).

Yeah I can imagine..Ok well I don't want to imagine because I have a niece who is going into the 6th grade next year and a my oldest 2 are gonna be next, soon. They are to young to be thinking of sex and getting pregnant. :(
They're too young to be thinking about getting pregnant, but I can wholly confirm that middle schoolers are definitely already having sex, actively even. Honor roll has nothing to do with it, to be honest (so I found the father's comment to be extremely dim). It's pretty scary, but unfortunately true.

One of my friends lost his virginity in 5th grade and has been active since then...and he's in 10th grade now.

OTHERWISE, I believe the survey was extremely pointless, stupid, ineffective, and terribly thought out.