School Valentines...

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
My daughter's teacher sent home the class list yesterday for students who want to bring Valentines. I don't really want to send candy. It seems like the kids get plenty of that, and I know a lot of the parents don't allow them to eat it anyway. The teacher really limits how much they get to consume in class. So I was thinking of bringing in a Valentinesy snack instead, but I don't want it to be really messy. They're first graders.

I was thinking along the lines of strawberry shortcakes. I have a mini-muffin pan that makes tiny muffins or cupcakes. I mean they are really little, not like an ordinary cupcake. So I was thinking of making little strawberry shortcakes in the mini-muffin cups, and then soaking them in strawberry gelatin before it sets, and refrigerating it to make strawberry-flavored jello cupcakes. Then a little bit of whipped cream on top and a piece of strawberry. It seemed less messy than drizzling the strawberry topping over actual shortcakes. What do you think? Should I just make regular muffins with pink frosting?

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Sorry but my brain came to a screeching halt at the idea of school organised valentines day gifts.

But yes, cake is good...

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
I don't understand the concept... are they supposed to bring valentines for other kids? (at 6?) For themselves? For the entire class? To what purpose?

The little shortcakes sound delicious, though :p

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
Yes, any student can bring Valentines for the whole class. Not all students bring some. It's optional. But you are supposed to bring some for every student if you do, and they're all the same. Well, we have one student who doesn't participate for religious reasons, but those who participate are expected to bring one for everyone other than her.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Lol yeah we do Valentine's at our school too, I am not sure what I am sending him with yet. What is a little less messy and delicate than actual cupcakes, would be cake pops? Those are always a hit, and totally adorable. In fact, I might do them. I love cake pops. Mmmm. :)

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
Ok, enlighten me, what is a cake pop?

I always had a stash of decorative pencils and erasers from Oriental Trading that I would give out at Valentine's and Halloween. The younger kids loved them. The older kids didn't. It was a great way to keep away the teenage trick or treaters who came to the store in their school uniform carrying a plastic shopping bag :) And I never had to worry about the kids with the food allergies not being able to accept and use them.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Cake pops are a royal pain in the backside to make, but they are so darn cute.

They're as if a lollipop was made of cake.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Hm I don't think they are that much of a pain. I kind of like doing it lol they're really not that complicated. Then again I really enjoy doing stuff like that, so I guess it depends on whether or not you enjoy cooking/baking/crafting. I am super into stuff like that, so it's fun for me. :) Here's a pretty easy guide: http://www.cutoutandkeep.net/projects/easy-cake-pops

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Sunny wanted some for her birthday... I got about halfway through before I threw a child like tantrum at them and paid Dita to do it.

Baking isn't my thing...

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
They actually look kind of difficult...

I like baking too, but only if it's something I have a fair chance of getting on the first try. If it's a trial-and-error thing, where you only get the hang of it after several batches, then I'm out. Brownies, muffins and cupcakes... no problem. Chiffon or divinity... not so much.

We've got a four-day weekend coming up, so I think I'll practice both and see what's the biggest hit here at home (or the least stressful)!

Mommyof4in11

PF Regular
Jan 19, 2013
South Central IL
You might want to check with your child's school most of them don't allow home made treats anymore. My children's school hasn't allowed them for about 9 years now. I do think that you need to stay away from the candy. I don't send it any more myself we send a snack pack of apples and caramel that we buy at the store.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
Mommyof4in11 said:
You might want to check with your child's school most of them don't allow home made treats anymore. My children's school hasn't allowed them for about 9 years now.
Why?? :confused:<EMOJI seq="1f615">:confused:</EMOJI>

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
My daughter's school allows it. An allergy list is distributed to parents at the beginning of the year, and this year her class has none. Parents can request their children not eat classroom snacks if they're worried about anything.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
My five year old's school still allows home made treats, although I am aware that a lot of schools do not. I saw a cute idea for a really easy healthy treat for valentines today, it was little baggies of banana chips with a cute decoration at the top with a monkey and a heart saying "I'm bananas for you!" lol.

FCMommy

Feb 12, 2013
Unfortunately, our school doesn't allow home-baked goods either. Which is incredibly infuriating. I would tend to advocate a toy or small craft project kit, but the jello idea is certainly intriguing!

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
Well, they were a hit with the kids, but I'm never doing them again. It was a nightmare keeping them cold throughout the day's long festivities. Had to reapply the whipped cream before it was all over. Don't know what I was thinking...

Some kids did styrofoam airplane kits, gelatin window decals, and glitter pens. All great ideas.

Jerseyknox

May 19, 2020
Ok, enlighten me, what is a cake pop?

I always had a stash of decorative pencils and erasers from Oriental Trading that I would give out at Valentine's and Halloween. The younger kids loved them. The older kids didn't. It was a great way to keep away the teenage trick or treaters who came to the store in their school uniform carrying a plastic shopping bag :) And I never had to worry about the kids with the food allergies not being able to accept and use them.
You should check some articles like https://wowpencils.com/copic-ciao-vs-sketch/ which will be very intresting for your personal knowledge. Cause that kind of pencils and markers is the best choise when you have deals with painting or writing, drawing valentines for your children;)