School...

twistertiger

PF Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2008
Bay Area, California
how much do you like about your son/daughters school? how much do you know about it? i mean the bad stuff like drug use or bad influences. my children don't exactly talk about their schools so i don't really know whats going on.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I'm taking it that your children are older like in high school? I know everything about my children's school. I'm there volentering, getting to know teachers to have pairs of extra eyes, getting to know other parents, in good with the principals.
How do you send your children to school and not know a thing about it? Don't you visit? Communicate via email or planners? Do they have home pages for their classes? I can go on my schools site and go to each teachers web pages and see exactly what they are doing.
But I'm a very involved parent.

ntbuddy

PF Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2008
Michigan City, Indiana
We both inquire to the kids about school. It's great going to our school as they know are kids real well and no it's not because they're bad but because they're two of hte best children there. The teachers communicate via email, visits, and phone. It's great and they're all supportive of the kids that are there; even the bad ones. We've gone to three different schools to come up with this one and our here to stay.

The key to anything, as musicmom said, is to be an involved parent.

Shari Nielsen

PF Enthusiast
Jan 21, 2008
CT
I agree w/ the need for involvement. Try to get to as many school activities as possible to get a feel for the kids and what the school climate is like. Also, make sure that you "host" many get togethers for your children and their peer groups. You will be amazed at what you can learn when the kids feel comfortable around you and start opening up.

rein001

PF Regular
Feb 20, 2008
Texas
I absolutely love my daughter's school. She is a second grader at a private school, here in Central Texas, and I love it. My wife also teaches there and she is still very involved in my daughter's day. I have not noticed anything that displeases me. Some things I love about it; the people all genuinely care about the children, education and the learning environment.

Have a GREAT weekend!!

Ray Ferrer
Children's Book Author
www.ferrerbooks.com

aliinnc

PF Fanatic
Jan 10, 2008
Raleigh NC
I have a high schooler. I'm lcky in that my kids do talk to me about the good stuff and the bad. But we have always talked very openly with them about sex and drugs. I think we are reaping the benefit of that now because they are not afraid to tell us their stuff.

Also be very careful not to overreact when they tell you bad stuff. Like when my son told me about oral sex in the bathroom of the school (he wasn't doing it). I waited til he was through and then asked what he thought about it. Then breathed a sigh of relief when he thought it was gross.

Of course, I'm still not sure whether gross referred to oral sex or the fact that they were doing it in a nasty school bathroom.

I second the idea of entertaining the kids. We hosted parties after every middle school dance, and I got to know all my daughter's new friends.

Sha', in our high schools, volunteering doesn't help much in knowing what is going on. A lot of it is administrative or providing supplies. Most high school teachers don't want parents anywhere near the classroom. Enjoy it now.

rein001

PF Regular
Feb 20, 2008
Texas
Ohhh I am definitely enjoying the fact that we are very involved in the school functions and classroom environment. I dont even want to begin thinking about my little girl in high school. I know how I was as a young man. ;)

Good post.

aliinnc

PF Fanatic
Jan 10, 2008
Raleigh NC
Thanks, Ray.

I know what you mean about your little girl in high school. It's very hard. Especially when she was dating a guy I didn't like - GRRR!

Enjoy the younger years!

Shari Nielsen

PF Enthusiast
Jan 21, 2008
CT
As a teacher who works w/ teenagers on a daily basis....I'm VERY concerned that my kids don't go down certain paths and end up like specific kids. It's nice working w/ teenagers before my own kids get to that stage b/c I am very aware of what is the "norm", what the kids try to get away with, how they try to get away w/ it, and what works and what doesn't work in terms of "reaching" them. I'm hoping at least SOME of what I know now will be applicable w/ my own kids in a few years!

TammyZed

PF Enthusiast
Mar 8, 2008
Ontario
My daughter is in grade eight, and she attends the same middle school my son did. It's a great place, with a very enthusiastic and involved staff and plenty of programs for her to get involved in. Emma especially loves the music program, which is fantastic. Their middle school band can kick the ass of any of the high schools in the area. I've been involved with the school ever since my son went there from grade six, and it's an absolutely great environment.

My son is now a senior at a great school as well. It's a public school, but hosts an Integrated Arts Program, to which students must audition. It offers classes and extracurricular activities that deal with all aspects of drama, dance, visual art and music. Imagine your typical high school population, and then remove everybody but the major arts students, and that's what it's like. The atmosphere is very liberal and encouraging of personal expression. My daughter has expressed an interest in auditioning there, and I'd be happy for her to. The principal is a little bit of a wiener, but overall it's a great school.