screaming...

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
O screams every time he wants something. How do I get him to not scream so much?

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
I normally tell him in a nice voice not to scream and to tell me what he wants. This normally occurs at the table when he wants his milk or more food. I usually give him what he wants. What am I supposed to do? Not give him anymore food?

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I could see how you are stuck since it's a food situation. Can he say words yet? What if you didn't give it to him until he said the word and then said "yeaaaaaaaa, good boy and laughed".
Try it with something else before dinner time. Like with toys. Put them in front of him and say which one do you want blue or red? and don't give it to him until he says "blue" or "red" and then cheer and hug him and praise him. Then maybe it will carry out to dinner time.
I remember mine doing this too and it was frustrating. They loved my praise so they were more then happy to start telling me what they wanted.
Would something like that work for you?

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
Good ideas. I am nervous because it's a food situation. If it was a toy situation I would absolutely not give him a toy because he screams. I try to get him to say words like "more" and "please" but he doesn't have them yet. Sometimes he points at what he wants, which is helpful. But he still continues to scream. Do you think when he screams I should take him down from the highchair for awhile?

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
hmmm... I'm not sure either. You don't want to withhold food from him. Does he immediately go from happy baby to scream?

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
Kaytee said:
hmmm... I'm not sure either. You don't want to withhold food from him. Does he immediately go from happy baby to scream?
Yes he does.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I wouldn't take him out of the high chair. If you start that then he'll scream just to get down. lol
I would hold up the containers and at least get him to shake his head "yes" or "no". Want and please may be too hard for him being so little. With yes and no he'll see your head movements and being so little I'm sure he already knows the word "no".

EHB

PF Enthusiast
Jan 24, 2008
California and New Jersey
It sounds as though his screaming has already been rewarded. That makes it tough. When I was a kid, children were taught to say "Ta" when they wanted something. It's easily mastered and later becomes "thank you." I don't hear too many people use this method anymore, but it's worth a shot. When he screams, you might say "Ta?" and show him what you think he wants. Then say it again when you give it to him. Anything is better than that earpiercing scream, lol.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
UPDATE: Oliver follows me around the house and screams at me in a mean way. How am I supposed to respond?

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
That's what I've been doing. Sometimes it really, really gets to me because I love peace and quiet in my home. I just have this fear that someday I'm going to snap and yell at him. You know? I just have to keep reminding myself that he's not deliberately trying to piss me off. lol

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
yes he is. lol just playing. Don't worry, if you keep responding calmly he will stop. He won't be doing it when he is 12, well he might be but then he really would be doing it to piss you off lol

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
Kaytee said:
yes he is. lol just playing. Don't worry, if you keep responding calmly he will stop. He won't be doing it when he is 12, well he might be but then he really would be doing it to piss you off lol
lmao

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
YOu don't have to yell but use a firm voice and put his butt in a naughty chair. As long as you allow his behavior he's going to do it.