Self Training!...

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
So I thought there was going to be this big deal of me teaching Eli how to go potty at night and stuff, you could probably even find a thread of mine buried somewhere asking about it lol. Last time I updated on his potty training, he was in underwear at home during the day and in pull ups when we went places and diapers at night. Well SHORTLY after he went straight to underwear all the time, anywhere other than at night in bed. He always wears a diaper to bed. I have not even approached the idea of night time potty training. I haven't talked to him about it or anything. I just put a diaper on him at night and we go to bed, you know? Well anyway, for the last couple of weeks, he has been on and off waking up at night crying saying he had to go pee in the potty. He would go when I got up to take him and everything, but he would still pee in his diaper anyway haha. It seemed like a good sign to me though.

So the last couple of nights, he has been waking up completely dry in the morning! Not a drop in his diaper at all! For like the last three days! And he goes right to the potty in the morning! A couple of these nights he woke up to ask me to pee in the middle of the night. I am wondering when I should just take the diaper off and let him go to bed in his underwear!!! He is doing great. Always surprising me. :)

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Ours have all been quite early on night time dryness, it all depends on when their bodies start producing ADH in the right amount at the right time, they slowly produce more over time. New born babies produce virtually none, which is why there urine is generally very pale. I'll stop making the conversation boring now.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
lol Its cool Jeremy, I enjoy arming myself with information. How old were yours when they were night time trained would you say? I never expected Eli to be doing this already. I figured he'd be older. I planned on buying diapers for a much longer time lol. But it looks like Huggies is about to lose my business. Not for long of course, since I'm having another one probably next yearish but you know. I wish I could cloth diaper, but I don't have my own washer and dryer at this point in my life. But that's a different topic lol.

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Oh dear, this is going to be a major test of my memory, Jackson was around 20 months, we just used to take his nappy off, throw it in the washing and then wash him, so it could have been going on for a few more days than we actually thought.
Melia was 17 or 18 months, Jake was 23 months (he sleep walk wee's some times though) as was Jade, Livvy has been dry since 27 months.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Great news Xero. DS2 is 3 years 4 months at this point. He is completely in underwear during the day and in a pullup at night. He's pretty good about staying dry all night, if we control liquids leading up to bedtime and be sure he goes right before bead (well, 3 nights dry in a row now, which is a new record).

And the only accident's we've had is when we leave him in pullups too long in the morning, like ona weekend moring and we let him lounge in jammas and leave him in a pullup. It's like he forgets he's supposed to use the potty, so that's a bad one on us. We need to get him dressed when he's up.

Consider using a pullup or something he can get off at night and go and you still have the protection... Ours doesn't get up at night at all, we've told him it's okay to get up and go to the potty if he wakes up and feels like he needs to, but it hasn't happened yet. We've announced that we're buying the last package of pullups at least 3 or 4 times now...maybe we're finally there.

Good luck.

Be sure to let us know when you're officially TTC, we'll enjoy giving you a hard time...um, I mean support...;-)

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Yeah yeah! lol

And you know, I have thought of replacing the diapers with pull ups. Maybe once this box runs out, I'll go with those. I mean, unless he's just completely done wetting at night but I don't know about that just yet. The main reason I don't fret about putting diapers on him is because he really doesn't attempt to pull his own pants down to potty lol. I don't know how to get him to do that. When he has to go, he tells me, and I pull his drawers down and then back up when he's done. So if he has to potty at night I have to take him anyway. :/ The only other reason I haven't bought pull ups for the night time thing yet is that he SOAKS his night time diapers when he does pee in them. SOAKS them. Sometimes he'll even wet through them and soak his sheets. Its crazy. He's a pee machine. And pull ups are so much thinner than diapers lol. I'm afraid.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Jeremy wow they were all pretty young!! You have some smart cookies there. Eli is 31 months, so he's some behind them. I'm not in a rush or anything though, obviously, it just kind of happened while I wasn't even trying. :p

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
I know what you mean, that volume has a lot to do with their development too, they're able to hold it longer so they build up a lot (and their bladders are physically getting bigger too...)

The pullups do hold a surprising amount, but if he's not pulling them down on his own, there's no point. i still pull down DS2's in the morning to sit him on the potty, but in underwear, he's the man.(and I can't believe his 4T's are getting tight on him...)

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Xero said:
Jeremy wow they were all pretty young!! You have some smart cookies there. Eli is 31 months, so he's some behind them. I'm not in a rush or anything though, obviously, it just kind of happened while I wasn't even trying. :p
and you're probably in for good long term sucess. I think those parents that push to train really early tend ot have more setbacks because they are pushing nature to do what it's not ready to do yet....

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Nice! lol I can't wait for Eli to do it himself it is a bit of a pain. Eli wears the 2T-3Ts underwear right now haha.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
IADad said:
and you're probably in for good long term sucess. I think those parents that push to train really early tend ot have more setbacks because they are pushing nature to do what it's not ready to do yet....
Well I figure if he's doing it already and I'm not even TRYING then something must be going right haha. I think he has a successful potty training future ahead of him lol.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
I know it might be hard for you girls to believe. But us guys, we don't like to waller around in our own waste after a certain age.

Jordy

PF Fanatic
Apr 12, 2010
Perth, WA
the only one who will know when he is ready is Eli.. his body will tell him to wake up and go to the potty or toilet.. it still might be a while or it might be in a week.. best not to try to predict because it leaves you wondering why it isn't going as according to your time plan.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I completely agree. :) I always let him do things on his own terms. Seems to work out great apparantly!! lol I figured it was going to be much longer from now before he did any of this.

bssage - I don't know if I believe that. :p

Jordy

PF Fanatic
Apr 12, 2010
Perth, WA
I'm about to have this myself.. when i get Caidance she will be about 3 and Camryn will be about 15 months so i might be asking for your expertise on the same subject LOL

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
If there's anything I can ever do to help, I'd be more than happy to! :) I think you'll be an awesome dad though, and a lot of it comes naturally. Don't worry.

Jordy

PF Fanatic
Apr 12, 2010
Perth, WA
i sure hope so.. because we are coming into these girls lives now I'm worried it will be harder but we have been in the bonding stage for nearly a year now so they know who we are and they are comfortable with us... i can't wait for june so we can start really being dad's :)

Mom2all

PF Fiend
Nov 25, 2009
Eastern North Carolina, USA
Go Zero! Thats like the best feeing to know that diapers or pull up buying is about to come to an end! My only suggestion is when the pull ups are thrown away make sure you have some sort of mattress cover and clean blankets galore stacked in his room! The quicker an accident can be cleaned up the better at 3am. :) When my were young, I limited the amount of drink they had just before bedtime to help. And if I woke up in the middle of the nite to use the potty, I woke them up too just to have them try.

xox.ilu.xox

PF Addict
Dec 17, 2009
Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada
hayleigh started pooping on the potty herself! lol. it started about a month ago. she has issues with pooping, and we were thinking to ourselves, im sure standing on ur tippie toes squooshing your buttcheeks together makes it hard to poopie lol. so when she said she had to poop on the potty she went, and now its like clockwork! so wonderful. no crying, no screaming. and we make a big deal with flushing lol. its great. just gotta get on the peeing in the potty.

YAY for eli!!!!! thats great! i cant wait for the day i dont have to buy diapers!

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
That's awesome! Hayleigh is on the ball! lol And pooping in the potty is usually the hard part. :)

Mom2all, that's a great idea, I definitely will. I have a mattress cover on his bed anyway because he tends to soak through his diaper at night lol. I don't know if it would withstand an actual accident though, so I think I need a new one. A different kind. You know? But yeah I imagine I'll go on a shopping trip for extra sheets and whatnot before I give underwear at night a go. :p I was also thinking I would wake him up maybe once a night! And that would help him stay dry.

But yeah, I will keep updating! He had another dry diaper this morning. :D