severe allergic reaction to traditional yeast...

artmom

PF Fanatic
Feb 26, 2015
Canada
About 3 and a half years ago, we moved from our house and had to move to an apartment. Long story short, the original building we got accepted to was pet-friendly, and the first night proved too good to be true. We had to stay at mom's until we found some place else. We took our 2 kitties, which we had for about 5 years, with us to my mom's. She said she didn't want cat hair everywhere and so they had to stay in the front porch. It was late summer, so they were fine. But they were ever so lonely. At least, for Bean, the eldest and the one I rehabilitated from when we found her neglected and skittish kitten and made her a loyal, protective, cuddle bug. She loved to sleep in bed next to me at night, and even would tell me when it's bedtime, 9am every night. Anyways, Bean was not allowed to do this at my mom's and she would meow loudly and scratch and jump up on the door. Sunfire was the kitten my daughter found hungry and alone under a car at a drive in diner while coming back from a visit with Nana. He's was the youngest and most rambunctious, especially at night. So, in this little sunroom, was a lonely crying cat, and a hyper-active cat making all this ruckus every night. I eventually went to sleep, however my mom is a terribly light sleeper. She will look for ANY cause and blame anything for her not being able to sleep. From a lamp, that is on in my room with the door closed on a separate floor, to music played on low through my headphones. And boy does she have a temper. She's a bit of a narcissist and has a classic, animated rage. One night, the cats were being more loud, and she just went off. I offered to stay out in the sunroom with the cats and see if they would settle down. So I did and Bean did quiet down. But it bothered my mom that I was out there and she said it was keeping her up. She exploded, gave me an ultimatum and so, the cats had to be gone before she came home from work that day. I spent the whole day trying to see if any of our friends or family to take in the cats, and that way my daughter would have a chance at visiting them. Unfortunately, we had no luck. Every no-kill animal shelter was full and we were forced to give them to the Humane Society. My daughter was at school during all this. She never got a chance to say goodbye to Sunfire. I'm sure Sunfire would have been accepted as a good housepet. He never bit, scratched, or growled, he was neutered and super laid back, and just went with the flow. You could pull his tail and he would barely react. Bean, on the other hand, though was my guard cat. She was sweet, but a bit vicious towards certain people. I'm hoping those behavior tests the Humane Society does worked out okay with Bean. If not, then she's no more.
My daughter was super upset when she came home that day and found both cats gone. To this day, she says she never got any closure and cries at the thought of missing him. We keep pictures up on the wall and she puts them in her locker at school and in her jewelry box. I have lost cats when I was young. The first cat I had, Ebony, was hit by a truck while I was out of town visiting my dad. I found out on the way home with my mom. So, I can relate to how she feels. Giving Bean to the Humane Society was, I have to say, was like giving up your child. I mean, she was staring back at me through her carrier with those big saucer eyes, like she was saying "What's going on? Where are you going? Don't you love me anymore? wtf?".
Years have passed and I've gotten over it a bit. My daughter is still heartbroken. I don't know what else to do to help her move on.

(This little guy grew to be a big boned, robust, strapping boy of a cat, with a itty-bitty, high growl. It was really funny listening to him practice it with Bean. Bean is not his biological mom, but she nursed him and taught him the ways of cathood and being a good house cat. Her growl was quite low. Of course, those lessons with her was after he was "fixed")

Last edited:

page16

PF Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2014
If you no longer live with your mom, then I would get a new cat if I were you. It would most likely help a lot.

artmom

PF Fanatic
Feb 26, 2015
Canada
page16 said:
If you no longer live with your mom, then I would get a new cat if I were you. It would most likely help a lot.
Unfortunately my building has a no pet policy. I was trying to find a place that does allow pets, but they are very hard to find and a lot more pricier. The affordable pet friendly places seem to be in areas that are dangerous and the buildings are in deplorable condition. As much as we loved our cats, I have to think of what's best for my daughter. On the bright side, I found place that is just affordable enough to live comfortably and is a 10 minute walk away from my mom's, and close to all-levels of schools. It's safe and close to bus service and amenities, with parking spaces and a big public field with a big hill just behind the building.
The building that we were supposed to live, that was pet friendly didn't work out because despite the caretakers claims, nothing was being taken care of or cleaned-up for us to move in. I looked at the place just before we moved our stuff in there and found the kitchen was infested with little bugs (the caretakers never believed me and never came by to look at it when I was there.), the stove was charred as if someone lit the whole thing on fire, the screens were torn (it was in the basement floor and my cats tried escaping a few times. Since there was no air conditioning unit, we wouldn't be able to keep the place cool.). We tried to clean the place and rid it of bugs and we suspected they were coming from the water tray in the fridge. Anyways, on the night we were officially living there, I called my mom, upset, because I wanted to leave. We were in the middle of downtown and hearing gunshots, lots of noise outside and I just didn't feel comfortable with the whole atmosphere in the suite. That's when we put all my stuff in storage and stayed at her place till we found another place. I knew it was a slim chance I would find another pet friendly place, but I thought my daughter would have a chance to say goodbye and give the cats to another loving home, or at least a no-kill animal shelter. :(

page16

PF Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2014
That always seems to be a problem, rental places not allowing pets. I had a cat for 17 years even though no pets were allowed :) I convinced the landlord that the cat was absolutely necessary to keep the mice out of the house. That did the trick.