Sex offenders living at child care facilities, audit says...

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
Sheesh! You would think that they would check these places out better instead of having to wait for an audit. Scary!

<I>SACRAMENTO, California (AP) -- The state social services agency on Wednesday was moving to shut down nine homes used for child daycare and foster care after an audit found registered sex offenders living there in violation of state law.</I>
<I>The revelation came after state auditors compared the addresses of 75,000 licensed facilities, including foster family homes and in-home daycare centers, with the state's database of registered sex offenders.</I>
<I>California Department of Social Services Director John Wagner said the audit found that the addresses of 49 sex offenders matched those of 46 child care facilities.</I>

Sex offenders living at child care facilities, audit says - CNN.com

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
Foster care is always a big concern, but I think in recent years most states have been doing a better job of monitoring foster care homes and raising the standards for those who qualify. Children in foster care often get there after being in an abusive home for several years, and they can be really screwed up already, and if they are placed into a foster home that also contains abuse then it is just more of the same.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
You'd think they'd have the finances to check that many homes or facilities. Talk about falling through the cracks.

budnkota

PF Fanatic
Mar 28, 2008
Indiana
That's appalling. I was not even allowed on the units at our facility until my fingerprints came back clear....

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
When I was in college I worked with a 19 year old guy who lived with his parents. The family took in a troubled 14 year old girl as a foster child. The guy and girl quickly entered into a sexual relationship. For the 14 year old, she had already had several (adult and teenage) sexual partners since she was 12. The way the guy described her was that she needed/wanted sex everyday.

My take at the time was that he knew better to get involved with at 14 year old, especially one living in his parents home. But at the same time, he was naive about the fact he was dealing with a sexually active teenage girl who was in foster care because she came from a home where her mother couldn't or wouldn't control the girl. He had a girl who more than willing to come into his room at night, and against his better judgement he got sexual envolved with her.

thx1138

PF Regular
Apr 1, 2008
There was an incident a few years ago where a boy in foster care was placed into a home and after about a day called his social worker to complain about one of the men in th home. The man was the brother of the foster father and apparently a convicted sex offender who had basically tried to start grooming this kid.

.:Kalli Rae:.

PF Fiend
Apr 18, 2008
Rapid City SD
thx1138 said:
There was an incident a few years ago where a boy in foster care was placed into a home and after about a day called his social worker to complain about one of the men in th home. The man was the brother of the foster father and apparently a convicted sex offender who had basically tried to start grooming this kid.
That is so sad! Foster care is so scary. If I had a bigger house I think I would like to have foster kids just so I would know that at least a couple of them would have a safe house to go to.