Sexual Abuse By Clergy...

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
A "<I>PERFECT PANIC</I>"
Whenever one person is in a position of authority over another, there is an enhanced possibility of emotional, physical, financial, spiritual, and/or sexual abuse. Of these, sexual abuse of children and youth are generally considered the most heinous. When the abuser is a clergyperson -- an individual who is expected to act at the highest spiritual and moral level -- the public becomes particularly distressed. Such abuse represents a gross violation of trust and a massive misuse of human sexuality by a perpetrator who is supposed to be among the most trustworthy. When the church leadership systematically conceals sexual abuse, the public can go ballistic.
What little hard information that is available seems to indicate that:
Sexual abuse of children could probably be almost halved if women were allowed to be ordained in the church.(Ontario Consultants on Religious Tolerance 2002-2004)
These occurances can and have happened in the most unlikely places, our places of zen, worship and peace. Knowing all that we have found out, do these occurances diminish your ability to trust your church or clergy? On the flip side, do these happenings instill <I>more</I> faith, or just bury hatred against those who have committed said acts?
Whats your take on it?

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
You totally just sounded like the beginning narrator of Law and Order: SUV….especially with the “heinous acts” bit.

Um…why would these acts instill MORE faith? Even if the chance of clergy-pedophiles is lower than the regular population…it still seems worse because church is a place of church and faith. If the teachers can’t respect and control themselves….religion comes off as a load of crap.

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
<YOUTUBE id="bslPzFMldwM" url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bslPzFMldwM&amp;feature=related">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bslPzFMldwM&amp;feature=related</YOUTUBE>

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
The way I see it is there are sick people every where. Job title, faith, or income, people of all types commit terrible acts. I wouldn't but anymore faith in a priest than I would a daycare worker or teacher as far as how much trust I would but in them with my children

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
I agree with Fallon, abuse is not isolated to a particular class of people. The danger is focusing too much on hyped stories because the ones who get away with such abuse for every long periods of time do so by avoiding the spot light.

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
Mindy said:
IMO, Fundemental religion at it's core can be very very bad :(
I'm not sure what you mean Mindy, how so? Not suggesting your right\wrong, just not understanding what you mean. :)

AnKsMommy

PF Fanatic
Dec 17, 2007
Japan
I have to agree, bad people are everywhere...

As parents we need to watch people with our children. And be VERY careful who we leave them with. I'm picky about who watches my girls. Normally a close friend that I've known for a while with kids or their own. I don't worry about day care so much because there are a group of people there and I would think no one would be stupid enough to try something there. Plus they all have background checks done by the military.

It's heartbreaking to think that someone would trust would do harm to your children.

Teresa

PF Fiend
Feb 2, 2007
Ohio
I agree with those who say that bad stuff can happen anywhere. Humans are humans, and being in a place of authority or respect doesn't change that. Some humans are good, some are bad, and we're all flawed in some way. Parents should always be vigilant in protecting their children, and don't just presume that certain people are "safe" because of their position or title.

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
jtee said:
I'm not sure what you mean Mindy, how so? Not suggesting your rightwrong, just not understanding what you mean. :)
Sorry jtee, I guess that wasn't very clear at all...

It's just my opinion that any extreme religion can be bad...

Extreme anything is just not good IMO... I can't really elaborate more, I don't want to offend anyone or seem like I am questioning their Religion :)

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
Teresa said:
I agree with those who say that bad stuff can happen anywhere. Humans are humans, and being in a place of authority or respect doesn't change that. Some humans are good, some are bad, and we're all flawed in some way. Parents should always be vigilant in protecting their children, and don't just presume that certain people are "safe" because of their position or title.
very well said