Sharpening a childs memory...

jack123

PF Enthusiast
May 9, 2012
What according to you are the best ways to help your child memorize their studies. Things like spellings, poems, history, mathematical formulas etc. I personally feeling writing and learning helps memorize faster. Whats your point of view on memorizing. Please share some tips.

tadamsmar

Banned
Jun 21, 2012
Check this out, software and the principles.

http://www.wired.com/medtech/health/magazine/16-05/ff_wozniak?currentPage=all[/URL]

Here's supermemo 4 kids.

http://supermemo-4-kids-my-first-english-words.software.informer.com/[/URL]

I have limited experience with supermemo and none with the kid version.

You can make flash cards and use the reminder schedule in the Wired article. Or just help your kids practice at intervals specified in the reminder schedule.

And there are associative memory methods like this one, but I have never found this to be all that useful for anything but parlor tricks:

http://www.toiletpaperentrepreneur.com/skill-toolbox/acquire-a-photographic-memory-in-3-minutes-guaranteed/[/URL]

anrawool

Aug 15, 2012
Hyderabad
Are you looking for suggestions to improve memory or teach spellings, maths, poems etc.

My son learns a lot when I teach me something through play. So I usually try to teach him while playing. For example he just does not remember yellow color for some reason. And is a fanatic for cars.

So I got him some yellow cars and showed him different cars on the road with yellow colors. He eventually got the color.

The same thing I did with his rhymes. Started singing, dancing and acting with him and he eventually started liking them and now has memorized most of them.

nwcrazy

PF Enthusiast
Aug 28, 2011
Put information in context. As my brother would say, "information without context is meaningless". In the sciences for example, remembering formulas is much easier when one understands concepts through hands on experiments.

Same with math. It's easier to remember equations when one understands the underlying concepts.

If your child has to learn a list of things quickly, it helps to "associate" the items with something that is familiar to the child. This can also be done using songs or rhymes.

Repetition is important. The child should go over the "stuff" several times. And this includes "touch up" reviews every now and then, as reinforcement.

The bottom line is that there is no substitute for EFFORT. One has to put in the work to get results. Believe it or not, the difference between an A student and a C student is (most likely) not intelligence based, but rather, one is willing to put in the hard work while the other is not. Obviously there are exceptions.

Good luck.

jollysmith123

Banned
Jun 5, 2012
La Quinta,CA
Hey nwcrazy, I really like what you said about putting information to context. I think what you are saying is absolutely right and is a great way we should adopt to teach children. If they can relate things they will surely learn better and remember forever. Well said! Thanks for your valuable opinion.

momarach

May 26, 2013
i love flash cards for anything and everything.. i even used to write summaries on them when i studied lit in college.. also like a previous post said, context or associating the information with something more easily remembered

lolly jone

Aug 17, 2013
Sharpening a childs memory needs activities that depend on stimulating their memory
these kind of activities are really of great benefits for their intelligence (memory games, math activities, number activities...)