Sleep Trouble...

Mara

May 20, 2013
My son has had sleep disturbances since he was 4. He wakes numerous times though out the night. He talks in his sleep and most times when he comes up to my room to wake me is not conscious of it the next day. He is now 8 years old. The night terrors have stopped, those happened mostly between age 5-6 when he would yell out "NO" or "MOM" numerous times a night. I moved his room downstairs so I wouldn't be awoken by his sleep chatter but although the yelling stopped and I can't hear him talking he still wakes though out the night and comes up stairs. It starts around 1am... then again around 2 and then 3am! Each time coming up to my room, waking me up. I follow him back to his room where he passes right out.

He is diagnosed ADHD and his Dr. says he just has a very active brain... but I can't get solid sleep! any suggestions to help? I've tried night lights, music, sleepy time tea. I'm sure this is effecting me more than him since he falls right back to sleep. Most nights I cannot. Also by the third time I'm so tired that I'm angry. I'm very patient the first two times but by 3am I'm grumpy and upset. I don't yell at him or anything but I find myself saying "Just go to sleep!" "Mommy needs sleep, stop waking me up!" In a pleading tired and grumpy mom voice. I feel bad but since I'm sleep deprived I can't really control the irritation. I don't think he hears me anyway but this is an awful way to spend my nights as my lovely husband snores through it.

~Mara the sleepy mom :(

pwsowner

PF Enthusiast
May 15, 2013
Ontario, Canada
You say: "as my lovely husband snores through it"

I know this isn't a solution, but can't he give you a break once in a while until you find a solution?

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
Sleep-walking tends to run in families. Did either parent do this as a child? Ask the grandparents what they did about it. You might be able to just lock your door and get him in the habit of putting himself back to bed. I don't know; I never had a sleep-walker.

Mara

May 20, 2013
My husband works long hours and needs his sleep more than I do. I work from home and have an easier time dealing with sleep loss. As for locking my door... I don't think that would work. I worry once he's up stairs and wakes me that going down could be difficult. Likely he would knock on the door anyway waking us both, no need for us both to suffer. I asked family and no one has been a sleep walker. I know his lack of deep sleep is effecting his school performance as well. Tonight I'm trying nature sounds instead of music. ::crossing fingers::

yunihara

PF Enthusiast
Nov 22, 2010
Nebraska
Usually a good suggestion is to play calming music or sounds, which you're already doing. Is he taking any medications? Anxiety can lead to sleep walking, and actually, sleep deprivation can also contribute to this problem. Is the sleepy time tea caffiene free? It should be, I would assume, but it would be good to double check. Cutting out caffiene altogether, if he drinks/eats any (it can be quite sneaky) tends to help as well. If the case is particularly bad, it can be symptomatic for other issues like sleep apnea or overactive limbs during sleep.

You could check how he's eating and his diet. Indigestion and some chemicals found in processed foods can contribute to ADHD and sleep problem. I would take a wholistic approach to the situation and look down every path. Even the littlest of things can become a big problem, don't overlook anything! Sounds overwhelming, but I would start with a simple journal documenting his day, what he eats, if he naps, etc. That way if you talk to a doctor about it, you'll have a lot of info to give them and can come up with a plan of action.

Mara

May 20, 2013
The last two nights with the nature sounds has helped! We will see if it continues to help. His diet is very strict since I do not medicate for the ADHD. He gets no dairy due to lactose issues, no red or yellow food colorings, no caffeine and limited sugar. I could try cutting out gluten but I feel so bad for his restrictions already. I'm trying to do everything right.