Sleeping when traveling...

MJBek

Feb 23, 2016
Hello parents!

I just have a quick minute here to ask for help. I have a 2 1/2 year old who will not sleep well in his pack and play when we travel because he is too big for it. It makes traveling to places where there is not much space for the kids to sleep difficult. Does anyone have any experience with portable toddler beds or other suggestions for solving this problem? Thanks in advance for your help!

artmom

PF Fanatic
Feb 26, 2015
Canada
My daughter wouldn't sleep in her pac n' play either. She would wake up as we put her down because we couldn't have her cuddle right up to us all the way and the cold air would startle, I'm guessing.
We would make a sort of nest in between us on the bed.

MJBek

Feb 23, 2016
Ah! So we're not the only ones! Did your daughter always sleep with you, or did you eventually move her to her own bed? I'm just a bit leery of setting that precedent for our little guy at such a young age. I'd rather he stay in his own bed and not need mom and dad to sleep..

artmom

PF Fanatic
Feb 26, 2015
Canada
Since it was just the nights when we would be visiting, we let her stay in bed with us. If we moved her, the motion of placing her real low in the pac n' play woke her up and she wouldn't stop crying. I'm not sure how comfortable those are to sleep in, but she preferred to sit and play in it.
I know Holiday Inn supplies Pack 'n Plays to guests with babies and toddlers, as my kid's dad used to be a housekeeper there. That's why he recommended that playpen to use as a makeshift crib.

Throughout her life, there's been times where she slept in bed with me. I'm not particularly strict about it. As long as we get our sleep is all that matters.

jamintha

Dec 8, 2016
Quebec
If you are very particular, you can get a toddler bed. Of course portable ones are easily available. And it's well to train him in his own bed.

PracticalParent

Dec 1, 2016
We had one child with a very similar problem and we were successful by bringing our own crib mattress and just laying it on the floor. It was a little awkward in hotels, but a good nights sleep is well worth it!

busywittymom

Jun 17, 2020
India
Sleeping while traveling for a baby can be difficult, so I like to give the baby a bath followed by a baby massage and it makes the baby relaxed enough to sleep while you travel. this tip worked for me I hope it does for you all as well. I have used Natural Massage Oil by the Moms co. and it's packed with the goodness of all the best oils for a baby.