Smoking debate...

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
About second hand smoke and inconsiderate smokers -

I'll start by saying that it is the smoker's responsibility to manage that, but within reason. Yes - if you want to join the circle of smokers outside the building, don't complain. That's a bit like walking into a bar and complaining about the smell of stale beer.

I think when I was young (early twenties) I probably fit into the asshat category. I was smoking 3-4 packs a day on average, and I basically didn't care who I affected. Keep in mind it was the early-mid 90's, information about second-hand smoke wasn't as in-your-face as it is now and I was also in pretty bad shape, mentally. I like to think that as I got older, I got my head out of my own ass and tried to be more considerate towards non-smokers. I know my SIL had a lot to do with that - she was quite militant about me not smoking around her kids.

In the end I quit because it occurred to me that I was being a hypocrite by claiming to be clean and sober while chain-smoking. And I guess the fact that over time I had learned some more health coping methods also helped. I'm really, really glad I quit before my daughter was born.

These days, I have the typical ex-smoker's exaggerated revulsion for the smell of smoke. I am also immune-compromised due to some meds I have to take to stay alive. So I get your point, Nicolas. It's about health. I'm pretty militant about second-hand smoke around both my daughter and me. I have found though, that rather than throwing a hissy-fit or making faces and fake coughing, it is more effective to just ask the smoker if you can change places, so that he is down-wind from you. Of course this isn't always practical, but the point is that it is about the attitude. Obviously you'll get the rude ones who won't respond well even to that, but I wouldn't want to have a conversation with such a person anyway.

I guess I have a lot of understanding for smokers, because I was one of them for so long. (And yes, I agree, sympathy isn't needed, but empathy/ understanding is great).

Lastly - there will always be smokers who will try to justify their habit. At least I don't do this or that... it isn't all that harmful... etc, etc. That is also classic addict behaviour - the need to justify your actions so that you don't feel like a loser for doing it. (For interest sake - google "heroin is harmless". It's scary.) If a smoker tells you it's not that bad, it's best just to shrug it off and move on (out of reach of his smoke). Trying to argue with him is like trying to convince a religious fanatic that evolution is real. (Good luck with that).

parentastic said:
I also do feel terribly sorry for the heroine addicts; but at least they don't force their drug into my lungs...
No, but they might mug you for your wallet... :eek:
/sick joke.

Last edited:

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Yeah sarcasm gets me in trouble from time to time. Its kind of a compulsion with me. But you probably have not noticed that ;)

singledad said:
Lastly - there will always be smokers who will try to justify their habit. At least I don't do this or that... it isn't all that harmful... etc, etc. That is also classic addict behaviour - the need to justify your actions so that you don't feel like a loser for doing it. (For interest sake - google "heroin is harmless". It's scary.) If a smoker tells you it's not that bad, it's best just to shrug it off and move on (out of reach of his smoke). Trying to argue with him is like trying to convince a religious fanatic that evolution is real. (Good luck with that).
What he said. This may be a large part of the reason people feel the need to keep repeating themselves. Anyone how implies that the harm of cigs is limited to the smell. Is either trying to convince themselves. Or trying to deflect the comments. I dont think any with reasonable intelligence. That has access to the news and media. Could put forth an argument that they are not harmful.

I do think that the anti smoking machine does put out its share of misinformation by way of exaggerating the actual facts. Which in turn leads to opportunity's for debate. When its unnecessary. I understand why. I am just saying it detracts from the message. Yes before your even say it. It works both ways. We are guilty of the same thing.

I think in the heat of the moment exaggerating to make ones point is common and not specific to smoking. I will admit doing it on forum threads as I would guess many have.

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
mom2many said:
I am a smoker.

I have never come across rude smokers. I should say it is very rare to see a blatantly rude smoker. Most people I know who smoke are considerate of those around them.

I also smoked while pregnant, the only time I didn't is with Ted...my learning disabled/bi-polar w/psychosis son. I am not a huge smoker, not even a pack a day and when I am pregnant I cut it back to less then that, but at no point do I feel like a bad mother. My kids are happy, healthy, annoying and everything else children are.

I've tried quitting more times then I can count, and I fail every time. I know one day I will be successful...I just don't know when. Frankly my smoking is not who I am as a person, which is how so many like to label smokers. They are inconsiderate, they don't care about their kids, they are bad mothers..yadda, yadda. Whatever, I am a good person. I am a good mother. I am considerate of those around me.

I guess that's it.............I lost my train of thought lol
I agree with you here M2M when I was smoking, I was not rude either, and my husband is not rude because he smokes.

My mom smoked through each of her 7 pregnancy's, she didn't drink but I know woman who certainly did drink when they were pregnant and their kids did not come out with disorders.

I'm not advocating doing either while pregnant but I'm just saying....

scarletjones

Banned
Apr 10, 2013
California
Smoking is injurious to health and make this understand to kids ,otherwise they can fall into this bad habit ,smoking kills and still student try to try it once do not give such chance console them and counsel them to leave this habit.