Smoking...

pp1

Feb 14, 2008
Athens, AL.
opinions:

-i do NOT smoke in my house.
-i do NOT smoke around my infant.

BUT i SMOKE....

-do you think it bothers my baby in any way?
-do you think it causes health problems? (to baby)

Kim

PF Fiend
Apr 3, 2007
St. Louis, MO
Yes. Smoking is bad. Smoking when you have children is bad. No matter what you do, smoke lingers. It hangs on your skin, your hair, your clothes. So many studies have proven it to be harmful. Besides being bad for your baby now, how bad will it be when baby gets older and doesn't have a mommy, because mom got lung cancer. Quit smoking. I know it is hard, but you have to quit.

evilbrent

PF Addict
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
it clings to your clothes, and the baby absorbs most of the toxins as passive smoke anyway - true, it's not as bad as literally blowing the smoke in their face, but by smoking outside you're not significantly reducing your baby's exposure to the poisons in the cigarette.

plus - hannah's mommy has the best point of all. your baby won't always be a baby. soon he/she will be a grown young adult. You WILL want to be here for that.

AnKsMommy

PF Fanatic
Dec 17, 2007
Japan
hannah's mommy said:
Yes. Smoking is bad. Smoking when you have children is bad. No matter what you do, smoke lingers. It hangs on your skin, your hair, your clothes. So many studies have proven it to be harmful. Besides being bad for your baby now, how bad will it be when baby gets older and doesn't have a mommy, because mom got lung cancer. Quit smoking. I know it is hard, but you have to quit.
I agree!!! :)

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
jleannhayes said:
opinions:

-i do NOT smoke in my house.
-i do NOT smoke around my infant.

BUT i SMOKE....

-do you think it bothers my baby in any way?
-do you think it causes health problems? (to baby)
Did you smoke when you were pregnant?
But either way, i mean thats great that you don't smoke in your house or around your child, but it can still bother/effect your childs health.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Yes it's very bad. Please stop. I smoked up until I got pg and did it cold turkey and don't ever want one (unless I drink which I don't drink anymore either) Good luck.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
I didn't smoke when I was pregnant but started up after I stopped nursing. I didn't smoke around Oliver but I wanted to quit because I don't want him growing up with parents that smoke. So I started Chantix again. It works really good.

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
I think Hannah's Mom said it best.

1) It lingers, so it does affect them physically on some level...even if you don't smoke around them.

2) It teaches your kid the philosophy - do as I say, not as I do. "Don't smoke...but I'm going to walk outside away from you and do it anyway" Totally hypocritical.

3) It affects the parent physically...and hurts their health. It is the ultimate in selfishness if the parent's health weakens (or they die) while the kid is still alive. In a sense...you're robbing a kid of their parent, and forcing them to burden your own health issues. Terribly selfish!

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
my father died from lung cancer...it's not at all how you want your kids to watch you die (I was also a smoker until recently) my dad missed out on his grandkids and I know he would take it all back if he could

pp1

Feb 14, 2008
Athens, AL.
good opinios. even more reason for me to quit!! but, no, i never smoked when i was pregnant. or at least after i found out i was. i stopped completely. but, after the baby was born i started back because i had PPD and smoking relieved some of my anxiety. i do want to quit, because like fooser said, the philosiphy of "do as i say, not as i do" is SO hypocritical. thanks guys!!!!

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
I know how you feel...I never smoked while I was pregnant either but after I always started right back up

aliinnc

PF Fanatic
Jan 10, 2008
Raleigh NC
Have you thought about this: smell is said to be one of the strongest and longest lasting memory triggers. Do you want the smell of smoke to be permanently attached in your child's mind to a memory of momma?

I wonder if that wouldn't make a child more likely to smoke because the smell is subconsciously associated with something so positive.

Just a thought.

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
aliinnc said:
Have you thought about this: smell is said to be one of the strongest and longest lasting memory triggers. Do you want the smell of smoke to be permanently attached in your child's mind to a memory of momma?

I wonder if that wouldn't make a child more likely to smoke because the smell is subconsciously associated with something so positive.

Just a thought.
Interesting thought, Aliinnc. :)

LisaOwen05

Jun 27, 2007
Australia
I used to smoke... but then gave up when i fel pregnant with owen... then i took it back up again and then quit again lol.. so i pretty much am an off and on agian smoker... now i only smoke if i am drinking or goin out etc...
which is rare now...

when mum told me that owen smelt of smoke :S i was horrified that id let myself do that, so i quit.. saved me heaps of money...

gr8mom

PF Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Texas
I don't smoke but my husband does so I know a little about how hard it can be to quit. He's tried a couple of times since we've been together. I don't know how to get him to quit without nagging him about it either. I hope you get the strength to quit and live a long and prosperous life. :)

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
evilbrent said:
i've also heard that the group most likely to take up smoking is daughters whose mothers smoke.
My father or mother smoked but I did and my twin brother do too. I quit, they haven't.
My earliest memories of my mother was of smoke because she used to go listen to my dad play in his band so I do remember that. I was about three or four. Yuck.