Soda and Juice - Should we let our kids drink it?...

evilbrent

PF Addict
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
I really think this is key.

There's a way to interact with our kids that doesn't involve having to make little threats, and I'm CONVINCED that avoiding little threats with little children will mean you get to avoid big threats with big children, and I'm conviced that will make our relationship with them that much more rewarding and loving as the years progress.

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
lol....well you let me know what you come up with.

Sounds like you're looking for the Holy Grail of parenting.

It doesn't exist Evil.

AnKsMommy

PF Fanatic
Dec 17, 2007
Japan
Soda is a no for my daughter. Juice has to be 100%. I try to give her milk and water most of the time. She's a little on the thin side so I push milk more.

I don't drink much soda either, I stick to drinking water most of the time. So does my husband. If we're out we might have a soda and we'll give her juice. Kind of like a "treat".

aliinnc

PF Fanatic
Jan 10, 2008
Raleigh NC
We did the no caffeine thing when they were young. But my DD wouldn't survive high school without it. Major workload.

Soda was a rare treat when they were young. And we still don't drink it at home. But we prefer them to drink diet because of the high fructose corn syrup. It's worse for you than the artificial sweeteners.

IMHO, ali

Shari Nielsen

PF Enthusiast
Jan 21, 2008
CT
Soda is OUTLAWED in the house and never an option when they go out. Its water, milk, or natural juice cut w/ water.

You should be in a high school and watch what the kids drink! Red Bull is a common drink - along w/ coffee! How do 14-15 year olds decide they need a coffee every morning????

TammyZed

PF Enthusiast
Mar 8, 2008
Ontario
I hadn't entirely acquired my good parent instinct when Morgan was little. He loved juice and water, but hated milk. He didn't mind chocolate milk because it tasted good, but turns out he's lactose intolerant anyway. I gave him soda as a treat when we went out, which was probably a lot more than I should have.

With Emma, she had the stricter rules in regards to soda and sugary drinks. Juices were fine, but soda was for special occasions. Ironically, she's the one who tends to suck soda back like air nowadays. Her brother likes carbonated water, but that's about it.

Neither of them are big coffee drinkers. Morgan likes it more than Emma, but that could be an age thing. Both of them <I>love</I> tea, though, especially green and red bush tea.

yulia

Banned
Jan 25, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Well, you can try to dilute juice with water. I use just a tiny amount of organic grape juice with lots of water.

Soda, cola and other junk is just NOT an option in our family. Sometimes it's very hard to convince kids, but I think that if it doesn't work (and if it's a really important matter), parent just need to say "No". After all, we are parents, not friends.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
I've really limited sweets such as soda since she was tiny. Soda is basically a once in a great while treat, that is only gotten at the movie or "sometimes" when out to dinner. I'm very lucky, Dd LOVES her water.

One thing that really sticks in my mind... about the time that we were weaning to a sippy cup, we were out and about and I saw a woman with her child (about the same age - under one) in a stroller sucking down a <U>babybottle</U> of SODA! Ugh!

Good Wolf

PF Addict
Mar 11, 2008
TX
I've never really drank much soda and the Mrs. gets her fix at work so we keep it out of the house. For the most part it is milk/water/gatoraid/orange juice now and then and the occasional choc. milk.

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
my DH drinks Pepsi as if its water. I on the other hand enjoy a diet pepsi on occasion, but its just pointless to give young kids pop. Its jsut sugar and water....i would know i work for pepsi LOL. (And i don't bring it home)