solid feeding - beginning solids...

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
HappyMomma said:
That reminds me of my popsicle remedy. 100% fruit juice homemade popsicles. Gids rid of all that extra sugar they add to the store bought ones.
we make them in molds with vanilla yogurt and fruit too...yummy

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
It's really a lot easier than one might think. Like I said earlier, I just food processed whatever I prepared for dinner that night. And fruits and veggies?... super easy.

matilda

Feb 1, 2008
NM
i'd like to make my own baby food when she's ready. i have food issues (constant struggle) so i hope to get her happy about heating natual and healthy from the get-go!

NiallNai

PF Enthusiast
Aug 20, 2007
New Jersey
I think we started at 6 months with the doctor's blessing.

We started with cereal and he only advised us to go through all the level 1 foods before going onto the level 2s. Also, to only add one new food every 3 to 5 days to watch for allergies or other things. We noticed that Brian became very gassy with some foods, to the point that he seemed to become very uncomfortable. So, we did rice cereal for 4 or 5 days then added another food and then it was rice cereal and whatever that over food was for 4 or 5 days, and so on.

Doing it that way made all the level 1s last a while and by the time we were done with it, Brian was ready for the level 2s. After the level 2s came the 3s. At 9 months, the doctor said that we could give him little pieces of cheese and small bits of diced fruits.

Looking back on it, the only thing that I might have thought to do differently would be to save all the sweet stuff (bananas, apples, etc) for after the vegetables. Brian may turn his nose up at plenty of foods but he hasn't met a "dessert" that he hasn't liked.

As time has gone on, he has certainly gotten more finicky about the foods he will eat. There are still a few standards that we can always fall back on, lick bananas.

As folks like to say, your methods may vary.

button611

PF Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2008
ok-we started Bailey at 6 mos. or so, but how much at a time are you giving? We have been giving her for dinner, a 1/2 container of both a vegetable and a fruit. For breakfast we give her some oatmeal and a fruit usually mixed together because she hates fruit unless it is mixed with something.

NiallNai

PF Enthusiast
Aug 20, 2007
New Jersey
Even now, at 10 months, we mix the fruit and cereal together. Bri hates the cereal by itself.

From memory, what you're doing sounds like what we did.

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
We started at 10 months, but my daughter wasn't interested until around 11 or 12 months (they were 6 weeks premature, so this changes the dates a bit). We did do a bit of cereal mixed with milk and fruit to start. We didn't push it and let them show us when they were interested and wanted to explore more solids.

If you decide to do oat cereal and have a food processor, you can buy bulk oatmeal (I bought Whole Food's organic) and process it finely. It is a ton cheaper than buying organic baby oatmeal.