Son isn’t recognizing social cues, acting up in class.

1GreatDad30

Apr 7, 2022
Hello everyone, I’m new here and am desperately in need of advice. I have a 8 year old who honestly is a wonderful child. But lately he has been having issues in school and bc of it other things have been brought to my attention that I never realized until now. He thinks everyone is his friend and he acts up in class to be “funny” and he thinks the other classmates are laughing with him when they laugh at him. He will copy something one student does that the class laughs at immediately after and the other kids just laugh but at him and he thinks this is them “being his friend”. Ive tried explaining and at times he just blankly looks at me and says he just wants to make them laugh. His teacher tells me he can’t sit still ( which at home it’s hard for him to even watch a movie bc he gets up and does something else) or he will do the opposite of what she asks bc he thinks it’s funny for his “friends”. One kid had even told him it would be funny if he put the L shape with his hand on his forehead and dance around so he did it and now does it at home which I tell him to stop bc that’s not something nice the kid told him to do and he just says “well it makes them laugh” I’ve tried explaining that they aren’t laughing with him but at him. I’m just at a loss and it seriously makes me sad that my son thinks these cruel kids are his friends. We went to a parent night the other night and a kid walks in and my son runs to him and says hey and tells me this is his friend and the kid literally looked disgusted and never even said a word back to my son, this happened more then that one time. At recess he thinks girls are playing with him by running away and he chases them laughing thinking they are playing until they tell the teacher he won’t leave them alone as well. Again, this really makes my heart hurt for him that he’s not picking up on these social cues and doesn’t realize these kids aren’t his friends. I mean don’t get me wrong he’s a happy kid and has a normal good home life and hasn’t had to want for anything. We’ve (me and his mother) have tried talking with him and he says he will do better and listen in class but it’s recently gotten worse, but there hasn’t been any major changes or anything that has upset him in anyway. Any advice or something would be appreciated and welcomed. I’ve gotten him a appointment with the doctor in a month, we had one 3 days ago where they said he displayed symptoms of adhd but I was a bit the same when I was his age and grew out of it and didn’t need medicine. His mother thinks he needs it but I’m not super convinced yet but if it will help my son I’m up for anything. Any experiences you guys have had with it please let me know. Thank you all for reading this and responding.