Son picks nose incessantly...

CraigK

PF Regular
Aug 10, 2015
San Diego
Hey all-- I've got a son who picks his nose pretty much nonstop. I am worried that this will make him sick from germs he picks up at school or whatnot. Is this a valid concern? How do I get him to stop this behavior?? Thanks!

sheriberry

Nov 26, 2015
How old is he? My sons still pick their noses from time to time and my oldest is 12. I don't think it makes them sick, it's really just a gross habit for others to watch. Depending how old he is I might poke some fun at him to remind him it's impolite to do that in public. Sometimes if I see my sons doing it I pretend to pick mine and ask them if they've found anything haha.

Lenn

Apr 29, 2016
It's not a good habit that's all. No need to overthink, I'm sure it will go away :)

artmom

PF Fanatic
Feb 26, 2015
Canada
I've seen my daughter pick her nose. I've, uh, picked my nose.
Unless the perpetrator is sick it's not a concern. Not all germs are bad for you. We tend to forget that germs are EVERYWHERE no matter how clean we are and how much disinfectant and anti-bacterial stuff we use. (Don't get me started on anti-bacterial stuff.)
I used to eat fallen candy off the sidewalk and put other things in my mouth I probably shouldn't have, and I grew up with a pretty strong immune system. The only danger is that it could trigger a minor nose bleed.
My verdict: It's nothing to be concerned about in terms of illness. But next time you catch him pass him a Kleenex or remind him to go blow his nose.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
Invest in a humidifier and he won't have so much dried mucous causing him discomfort. Also advise him to use a tissue and do it privately.

Charlotte

Jun 1, 2016
Ugh my daughter started this age 4 and is just stopping it now at nearly 5. He picks just inside his nose, and there's never any bogeys there, think its just a habit. I told him no one would want to play with him as it's a dirty habit but made zero difference.

Last edited:

Vdad

PF Enthusiast
May 28, 2016
This is a zombie thread, but with recent replies.

Charlotte, FWIW, using shame as a motivator for your child to change her behavior isn't the best idea. Maybe you could 1) Ask your daughter why she does this, and 2) Tell her she needs to stop. Not b/c other's will not want to play with her, but b/c you told her to. You might need to remind her, but if you've established a relationship of respect with her, she'll get it..it just takes time for kids that age to learn some awareness and then some self control.

page16

PF Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2014
My first concern with excessive nose picking would be a physical concern. Make very sure the child is fine and doesn't have something in his or her nose.

Even if no strange objects are there, nose picking can still be an action caused by a physical issue.

If not, like Vdad said, shaming is not the best idea - at all.

First, find out the "why", and then find the best action accordingly.