Souse's desire for me went from HOT-to-nil and remains there 3 years after childbirth...

bojimbo

Apr 7, 2016
I write this reluctantly, and mostly out of desperation (and perhaps depression). My situation is as follows:

My wife and I have a three-year-old son, who I absolutely adore. He's a handful, but what kid his age isn't? It is a joy watching him learn and grow.

Before we decided to conceive, we had what I would consider a very active sex life. We had spent several years together, slowly exploring each other (principles, philosophies, bodies), falling in love, moving in together, falling deeper in love, getting married, and building a life together.

My libido has always been on the high end of things. Hers was similar throughout our relationship, but it hadn't always been that way. We are in our late 30s/early 40s, so I acknowledge that her drive may have been elevated by biological factors commonly associated with our age.

When my wife was pregnant, the frequency of our sexual interactions (not just intercourse) tapered off to near zero by the time my son was born. That being said, we both still very much enjoyed spending time with each other, and we were both quite excited about having a child. I didn't really give much thought to the decreased sexual activity, because I didn't feel like intimacy or closeness was waning (if that makes sense).

The birth was difficult. Our son was colicky. We were both exhausted nearly all the time. The first few months were a lot tougher than I imagined. Thankfully, my wife is very patient. She and I remained communicative, and with teamwork we got through it. If I was really being honest, I could not claim we were equal partners in caring for our son, but I tried very hard to fill in where I could. If I had to account for things (which I don't like to do), my guess is that I probably did about 35-40% of the work, and she did about 60-65% of it. (I might be overestimating my contribution though.)

During breastfeeding, my wife's libido remained very low. Having read up on how hormone levels can change before and after birth of a child, as well as during breastfeeding, this was disappointing, but expected. However, it came with a certain physical distance that was difficult for me. (She was not as responsive, and sometimes outright annoyed by my touching or hugging her.) I think she felt a little guilty about that, but it was easy for me to understand that after having a kid hanging onto you all day, the last thing you want is an adult doing the same thing. I totally understand the need for personal space, so I tried to give her a lot of that (at least compared to what I was used to). The topic would come up periodically (but I don't think frequently), and she would sometimes tear up, telling me she was sad that it wasn't like it was before.

We decided to breastfeed probably longer than most (about two years), during which her libido stayed very low. Again, I wasn't surprised by this. I would occasionally experiment with snuggling, nuzzling, kissing, and massaging. Mostly I would leave her alone when those occasional efforts were accepted lovingly, but not really reciprocated. This was very different than before conceiving. It used to be that she would seek me out as much as I did her. She would spontaneously hug me, or snuggle up to me quite frequently, without any kind of prompting on my part.

We (the three of us) went on a family vacation just before our son turned two, which was (probably predictably) not the romantic getaway I had hoped for. While we were away, I am ashamed that I spied on a very brief text message exchange between her and an ex lover. Like many of us, she remains in seldom, cordial contact with some of her former-partners-turned-friends, and she has never given me any reason to suspect that she is or has ever been unfaithful. Still, she lamented privately to him that our family trip was not like one she'd shared with him to a similar locale. I did not get the impression they were trying to revive anything, and it seemed to me more like old friends reminiscing than anything. Still, her expressing disappointment with something she missed, but seemed to remember fondly with someone else absolutely broke my heart. I still tear up when I think about it.

Toward the tail end of breastfeeding (when my son was about two), her menstrual cycle returned, and became more regular. She stopped producing (much) milk, and (much to the disappointment of my son) she decided to wean him from what remained mostly a comfort-seeking activity.

I had hoped that I would start to see that twinkle in her eye again, that she would once again scooch over to my side of the bed and cuddle up to me at night, or come up behind me and wrap her arms around my middle while I was cooking dinner, but it was not to be. It's been months, and she still has little apparent desire for physical closeness. Before conceiving, we had sex several times a week. Now we have it maybe once every 2-3 months.

We've talked about it a couple times, and I believe she's honestly sad about the difference. She's seen a doctor. We've tried topical testosterone and some other things, but she says it hasn't made much of a difference.

I am still trying to provide her space. That being said, I've never been shy about reminding her how absolutely beautiful she is, how much I admire her, and how much I remain totally head-over-heels in love with her. Every so often when I cuddle her, kiss her, and massage her, she won't prevent things from going further, but she lacks anything close to her prior enthusiasm. When we do make love, I am sometimes able to bring her to climax, although it's much more difficult than it was before. I should note that vaginal dryness was an issue early on, but that seemed to address itself about the same time that her menstrual cycle returned.

I don't miss the sex so much. It was never really about that. What I miss most is feeling desired. Turning her on was the biggest turn on for me. (Pity sex is a huge turnoff. I hate feeling "tolerated".) In my prior relationships, sex felt like somewhat of a struggle. With her, for perhaps the first time in my life, I felt accepted, <I>seen</I>, and truly <I>wanted</I>. It was the best high I've ever had, and I miss it terribly. The fact that she is the most respected and admired person in my life makes it all the more bittersweet. I don't want to pressure her, but I feel so unwanted. Based on my limited understanding, I've run out of "clinical" reasons for why it "should" be this way. I know that's probably a harmful way to think about things.

I feel like my wife and I communicate well, but she is a relatively private person when it comes to emotions. I want to continue our dialog, but the last thing I want her to feel is pressure from me. (I think she puts too much of that on herself already.)

Most of what I've read on other forums and websites doesn't seem very helpful. They mostly talk about hormonal changes from breastfeeding, exhaustion for caring for our child, or they ambiguously allude to some psychological x-factor without providing concrete examples or advice. Exhaustion may still be somewhat of a factor, so I don't want to rule it out, but things are vastly improved over when my son was born.

Have other mothers out there experienced similar, extremely prolonged degradation of libido? Did it return? If so, what worked for you? What changed, if anything? How was it different than before childbirth? What helps you remain intimate and close with the father of your child? What do you do, what does he do, what do you do together that you find helpful?

Any guidance is very much appreciated.

Last edited:

artmom

PF Fanatic
Feb 26, 2015
Canada
Hello. Welcome.

I have to say you guy's situation is very similar to what mine was like and still continues 14 years later.

I didn't know it at the time, but I was experiencing post-partum depression and PTSD. I had a long, painful and dehumanizing birth and it scarred me from ever wanting kids again, despite an easy pregnancy. My spouses libido remained high and there was a lot of pressure on me to get back into the swing of things with my spouse 1 month after birth. I was also breastfeeding and I just felt like my breasts were not a sexual toy. To this day, I feel very strong in not having them being touched and I didn't want to think, nor did I want to allow my spouse to think, that breastfeeding is sexual in any way. I was disturbed and bothered that he got turned on by it. Well, when we were at home and I was more liberal about it.
I think your wife is going through something similar. She may not completely understand what is going on with her, but it couldn't hurt to try to help her out more. like, when you get home, allow her to get out of the house by herself for an hour or 2 and offer to wash the dishes or make supper or do some laundry. That could help her feel like she is getting more of a life back again, apart from parenting. Dad's who share equal amount of the parenting and housework are a turn on.
Dryness can scare a woman out of anything intimate for a long time, until she is certain it isn't a problem anymore. Eating watermelon, coconut milk/water is supposed to help with that. There are other things to treat it as well, but it could also be that she isn't that horny anymore and you just can't force it to happen.
You have probably heard it before, but the possibility that your son could waken at any time and either call out or come into your room is going to put tension in any kind of heavy intimacy.
As much as you are trying not to put pressure on her I think you are more than you think. With every loving offer of any physical contact she may be feeling like there is some expectation that she has to get turned on and tend to your needs.
Of course, we are here to help but I'm looking at what's not being said. There seems to be a lack of communication between you 2. You said you peaked at a text message between her and an ex and your wondering what it was all meaning. You don't have to come right out or give her any hints that you know of the text, but you can talk to her and tell what you have been concerned about and really listen to her. Not just about what she says, but how she sounds.
Counselling might be helpful.
It's not something you want to hear, but give her time.

bojimbo

Apr 7, 2016
artmom said:
Hello. Welcome.
Hi artmom! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. It's very difficult to summarize any complex situation accurately, even in a post as long as mine, but let me try to clarify some things based on your comments.

I have to say you guy's situation is very similar to what mine was like and still continues 14 years later.

I didn't know it at the time, but I was experiencing post-partum depression and PTSD. I had a long, painful and dehumanizing birth and it scarred me from ever wanting kids again, despite an easy pregnancy. My spouses libido remained high and there was a lot of pressure on me to get back into the swing of things with my spouse 1 month after birth. I was also breastfeeding and I just felt like my breasts were not a sexual toy. To this day, I feel very strong in not having them being touched and I didn't want to think, nor did I want to allow my spouse to think, that breastfeeding is sexual in any way. I was disturbed and bothered that he got turned on by it. Well, when we were at home and I was more liberal about it.
I'm sorry to hear that the birth and post-partum were so difficult for you. It seems like there is very little treatment of this topic in the usual literature. In much that I've read, postpartum depression feels like a trivial footnote amounting to "consult a health professional" (or something similar). It seems like the only <I>real</I> stories are to be found by those who are generous enough to share them on forums like these. Thank you for that.

Based on your description, I don't think our birth trauma was nearly as severe as yours. My wife did (openly) experience a difficult time for the few months after giving birth, but I had not considered the possibility that there might be some long-lasting residual effect. One of the reasons this didn't come to mind is that she seems to love spending time with our son, and has found returning to work enjoyable. But I will pay closer attention. Perhaps I'm not aware of something.

I think your wife is going through something similar. She may not completely understand what is going on with her, but it couldn't hurt to try to help her out more. like, when you get home, allow her to get out of the house by herself for an hour or 2 and offer to wash the dishes or make supper or do some laundry. That could help her feel like she is getting more of a life back again, apart from parenting. Dad's who share equal amount of the parenting and housework are a turn on.
After re-reading my original post, I can see how I might have given the impression that I wasn't doing my share around the house. I'm not sure that's accurate. My wife and I both work. Because I telecommute, she actually has more contact with the outside world than I do. We both are fortunate enough to have compatible/flexible schedules that we can jointly accommodate the tasks of dropping our son off at day care/picking him up, etc. When I talked about the "split" of work, I meant as it directly pertained to our son. There were some things I just couldn't do (like breastfeeding). There were things my son (naturally?) preferred to receive from his mother (comfort, etc.). There are things my wife enjoys doing with/for our son, to the point where she'll wrestle with me somewhat if I try to take over for her. That being said, where I can't deliver the attention directly to my son, I try to compensate by addressing housework, cooking, etc. But you're right, I can always try to take on new or different things.

Dryness can scare a woman out of anything intimate for a long time, until she is certain it isn't a problem anymore. Eating watermelon, coconut milk/water is supposed to help with that. There are other things to treat it as well, but it could also be that she isn't that horny anymore and you just can't force it to happen.

You have probably heard it before, but the possibility that your son could waken at any time and either call out or come into your room is going to put tension in any kind of heavy intimacy.
Of course. This is true for me as well. We recently went on a week-long trip together where we left our son with my parents. Without the stresses of our son in the next room, we were able to enjoy each others' company more freely, but it didn't feel any more intimate to me. (Take that with some skepticism, however, because I'm sure my assessment is tainted by my own emotions.) I didn't mention our recent trip in my original post, because I don't think it's realistic to expect everything to magically cure itself in seven days.

As much as you are trying not to put pressure on her I think you are more than you think. With every loving offer of any physical contact she may be feeling like there is some expectation that she has to get turned on and tend to your needs.
Yes, of course. One thing I've tried to be very careful about is to make sure she understands that I have no expectations most of the time. When I offer her a back massage to help her fall asleep, it really is because she has a tension headache and the Tylenol isn't working. I tend to sleep in the nude, but I will put on some pajama bottoms to help make it clear that I don't want anything beyond trying to help her feel better.

When we're lying in bed, after we wish each other goodnight, I'll reach out to hold her hand, or touch her foot with mine as we drift off to sleep. It's not intended as a sexual advance, and I'm fairly certain this isn't received that way either.

It makes me so sad to think about or say this, but it's very rare nowadays that I touch her in what I would perceive as an intimate way. I'm not necessarily talking about a sexual way either. I might have done a disservice by focusing primarily on sex and libido in my original post. I would consider these symptoms of a lack of intimacy, which I feel we've lost. For us, physical closeness was one of the major ways we expressed desire for each other: hugging, cuddling, nuzzling, petting, playful pinching, tickling, patting, kissing (I absolutely love, love, <I>love</I> just kissing, for hours sometimes). Heck, even cooking together was something that felt intimate. Before our son was born, these kinds of interactions often lead to sex, but that's kind of beside the point. I miss being spontaneously hugged and cuddled and nuzzled and petted and tickled and kissed. (And, of course, I miss having someone who loves and wants me so much that we can't help ourselves but go further when we do those things, but, again, that's a secondary concern.)

Besides the mostly platonic hug, I try to avoid nuzzling, cuddling, etc., altogether and leave it up to her to do that when she's ready. <I>Occasionally</I> (well at least occasionally for me, like every 5-6 weeks or so), I will initiate some spooning, playing with her hair, kissing her on the back of her neck (which used to drive her up the wall), etc. Sometimes, that progresses into kissing or more, but I feel hurried and tolerated more often than not, so I take it as a sign that she's not ready, and usually end up feeling oddly guilty for the whole experience.

Ultimately, I think I may be grieving the loss of an intimacy we once shared. Hoping that it will return coupled with being hopelessly in love with her (or even just seeing her everyday) makes accepting that loss nearly impossible for me.

Of course, we are here to help but I'm looking at what's not being said. There seems to be a lack of communication between you 2. You said you peaked at a text message between her and an ex and your wondering what it was all meaning. You don't have to come right out or give her any hints that you know of the text, but you can talk to her and tell what you have been concerned about and really listen to her. Not just about what she says, but how she sounds.
You could be right. I also didn't mention this, but while I haven't mentioned the text directly, I have discussed with her some of the emotional implications for me. She has been receptive and accepting, and she tries to comfort and reassure me. (I don't bring the text up specifically for many reasons, primarily because it's too painful for me to talk about directly in a constructive way. I try to accept it as likely innocuous, but it's difficult. I also feel ashamed for snooping.)

Counselling might be helpful.
I'm not opposed to counseling. I found it helpful in coping with several traumatic events in my life before I met my wife. (I've also found that it is downright harmful with the wrong person. Finding the right counselor is crucial. If you're reading this, and are reluctant to seek counseling in the future because of a bad experience in the past, understand that a good working relationship with a non-judgmental professional is absolutely essential. The sad reality is that this is very difficult to find.) I'm reluctant to suggest it, though, because I don't want it to be added pressure. There is always a risk that when one partner suggests counseling unexpectedly, the other will (mis)interpret it as judgment and become defensive. I might eventually decide to go there, but I want to consider the presentation of my suggestion carefully before I do.

(Continued in next post. ...)

Last edited:

bojimbo

Apr 7, 2016
(... Continued from previous post.)

artmom said:
It's not something you want to hear, but give her time.
Oh my goodness, that's <I>absolutely</I> something I want to hear. Please forgive me if I've misinterpreted, but it sounds like time was insufficient for your situation?

Patience is a trivial expenditure for someone one truly loves and respects. But most of the things I've read discuss the desire for physical intimacy naturally returning after halting breastfeeding. Our situation seems different than that, so I feel like I'm totally in the dark.

Adam Smith said:

Man naturally desires, not only to be loved, but to be lovely; or to be that thing which is the natural and proper object of love. ... He desires, not only praise, but praiseworthiness; or to be that thing which, though it should be praised by nobody, is, however, the natural and proper object of praise.
Not feeling loved (or lovely), and not being able to see a the light at the end of the tunnel makes me anxious that there's something I'm doing or not doing in the mean time that could be harmful. I fully acknowledge that my own insecurities may be getting the best of me. I thought hearing others' positive outcomes would be helpful, which is why I invited them. That, and just being able to talk about it helps relieve some of my sadness.

If any mothers out there experienced an extended loss of intimacy (especially a desire for it) that wasn't directly related to breastfeeding or other commonly discussed hormonal changes, but found a way to regain intimacy, I would really appreciate it if you could share. I'm desperately seeking a success story, even if it didn't happen with the father of your child(ren). (While it would destroy me to lose my wife, there may be things I can learn from your experiences, and ignorance is the last thing I want.)

Last edited:

page16

PF Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2014
If any mothers out there experienced an extended loss of intimacy (especially a desire for it) that wasn't directly related to breastfeeding or other commonly discussed hormonal changes, but found a way to regain intimacy, I would really appreciate it if you could share. I'm desperately seeking a success story, even if it didn't happen with the father of your child(ren). (While it would destroy me to lose my wife, there may be things I can learn from your experiences, and ignorance is the last thing I want.)[/quote]<FONT font="verdana">

I have a feeling that, whether you realize it or not, in the back of your mind, you might be thinking that she is seeing someone else.
From what I can tell by talking to my friends, an extended loss of desire for intimacy is not unusual. People evolve in many ways. We are not the same person we were 10, or even 5 years ago.

Artmom gave an absolutely excellent suggestion. Give her "free time". Do the dishes after dinner and tell her to go out for a bit, to take some time to herself. Go shopping, have a drink with friends, etc... I'd start there and see where it goes from there.
You obviously care a lot about your relationship, so I'm sure that you will get through this.
[/FONT][/COLOR]

bojimbo

Apr 7, 2016
I have a feeling that, whether you realize it or not, in the back of your mind, you might be thinking that she is seeing someone else.[/COLOR][/quote] I don't want to blame her for responding the way she did. I might have done the same thing in her shoes. I can't know, because my exes don't text me. (Anecdotally, it feels like women honor others' relationship boundaries more strictly than men.)[/COLOR]

You may be onto something though. The thought of her fondly remembering <I>our</I> more intimate times would give me hope. I did not mention before that my prior (thankfully childless) marriage ended with[/FONT][/COLOR]fondly remembering[/COLOR] intimacy with <I>someone else</I> given our current lack of it is minimally reminiscent of that (very painful) experience. But I have to be very careful not to let my baggage interfere here. She and I likely have enough to deal with <I>without</I> me making it about something it's not. I'm really trying to keep a level head and focus on what is actually there, rather than inventing a "parade of horribles".

From what I can tell by talking to my friends, an extended loss of desire for intimacy is not unusual.
<i>[/FONT][/COLOR]</i><FONT font="verdana"><FONT font="verdana">Do you know if any were able to move past it or find rewarding ways to enjoy the "new normal"?

People evolve in many ways. We are not the same person we were 10, or even 5 years ago.
Of course, and (hopefully) thankfully so. In retrospect, I really don't feel like I <I>started</I> to understand what it meant to be human, what integrity meant, what love meant, until my early 30s. My wife describes her experience similarly.

Artmom gave an absolutely excellent suggestion. Give her "free time". Do the dishes after dinner and tell her to go out for a bit, to take some time to herself. Go shopping, have a drink with friends, etc... I'd start there and see where it goes from there.
<i>
</i><FONT font="verdana"><FONT font="verdana">I've tried to offer these things in the past, but she seems reluctant to take me up on it. When pressed, she insists that she enjoys spending time with her family. Sometimes she accepts, but it's more often to get caught up on something, or to schedule a dental or hair appointment. I'm not sure that counts? She currently has a few books she's into, and it's nice when I can provide her some time so she can enjoy reading them. I think it makes her feel guilty though if she feels like I'm doing "too much". Neither she nor I feel comfortable sitting around watching others work. We both tend to roll up our sleeves and chip in (she probably even more than I).

That being said, from my point of view, between work and home, she really does not have a lot of time to herself.

You obviously care a lot about your relationship, so I'm sure that you will get through this.
<i>
</i>Thank you so much for the advice and the encouragement. It's really helpful. I remain hopeful.

Last edited:

artmom

PF Fanatic
Feb 26, 2015
Canada
I'm sorry to hear that the birth and post-partum were so difficult for you. It seems like there is very little treatment of this topic in the usual literature. In much that I've read, postpartum depression feels like a trivial footnote amounting to "consult a health professional" (or something similar). It seems like the only <I>real</I> stories are to be found by those who are generous enough to share them on forums like these. Thank you for that.

Based on your description, I don't think our birth trauma was nearly as severe as yours. My wife did (openly) experience a difficult time for the few months after giving birth, but I had not considered the possibility that there might be some long-lasting residual effect. One of the reasons this didn't come to mind is that she seems to love spending time with our son, and has found returning to work enjoyable. But I will pay closer attention. Perhaps I'm not aware of something.

[/COLOR]<FONT font="verdana"><FONT font="verdana">I've tried to offer these things in the past, but she seems reluctant to take me up on it. When pressed, she insists that she enjoys spending time with her family. Sometimes she accepts, but it's more often to get caught up on something, or to schedule a dental or hair appointment. I'm not sure that counts? She currently has a few books she's into, and it's nice when I can provide her some time so she can enjoy reading them. I think it makes her feel guilty though if she feels like I'm doing "too much". Neither she nor I feel comfortable sitting around watching others work. We both tend to roll up our sleeves and chip in (she probably even more than I).

That being said, from my point of view, between work and home, she really does not have a lot of time to herself.

Thank you so much for the advice and the encouragement. It's really helpful. I remain hopeful.[/quote]

When I was going through PPD I still loved my daughter was heavily doting about her so much and I had it in my head that focusing on any attention to myself was selfish and irresponsible. I was moreso constantly stressed and felt alone and put-upon with all the housework and expectation to do everything myself and be the sole caregiver, while my spouse went out with his friends all the time. The only time he actually helped me throughout a night was the night before I had to go for a CT scan. And family refused to watch our kid until she was sleeping through the night.
Someone had told me that in order to be a good mother is to look after yourself first, because then you will be able to look after your child better. Hence, it is why they say to put the oxygen mask on yourself before your kids. After that, I started to focus on me and actually by myself some new clothes and get out with friends and I started feeling better about myself.

Your wife may feel some guilt, but she needs to have a sense of a life outside of work and parenting. You can reassure and keep reassuring that all will be fine with you taking care of things. And that goes for you, too. You need to get out and do things on your own or immerse in a hobby.
Plan a date night for the 2 of you once a week, but it plan it on different days so your time isn't so monotonous.
I wouldn't count a dental appointment a relaxing free time. A hair appointment? Yeah. If that's something she enjoys.
Another idea is signing up for a leisure activity from the leisure guides. There are lots of adult activities like photography, for example. These are usually 6-8 week programs that are relatively affordable. It's a chance to build a new skill and socialize with new people.
Your wife should also get out of the house with an activity to do with your son. The leisure guides also offer mom and toddler activities.
Perhaps once or 2 twice a month you can plan special family days.
I'm not going to touch on breastfeeding advice too much as it is a very personal thing. But if you want my opinion and opinion only, 2 years is a long time for breastfeeding and if it just done for the child's comfort it may be time to wean before it becomes an actual problem. Weaning is not easy for the mom nor child and she is very lucky and fortunate to have such a supportive partner to encourage and allow her to have breastfed for 2 years and is able to do so.

I agree with the others that people evolve and relationships as well, especially after kids. Have you ever watched the movie Nine Months? lol

I think in regards to situations like yours, there are success stories but none where everything goes back to pre-child times.
I think you are worrying way too much about your relationship than there is too be worried about. Your secure and confident enough to have a strong trust, and the jealousy level seems to be at a minimum. I recognize that because I had that in my last relationship. You are both equals and support each other, and have similar goals and drive to commit to one another. If she were seeing someone else she must be going through time portals in a blink of an eye or she would be more eager to get out of the house on her own a lot more often. One text is not a sign of infidelity.
You will have to find and explore a new "normal" with your partner and it will happen eventually. Just remember that your relationship will continue to change as your son gets older. It does get easier, though, until the teen years. But then again, you will enough experience in your own life to guide him in the right direction.

bojimbo

Apr 7, 2016
artmom said:
When I was going through PPD I still loved my daughter was heavily doting about her so much and I had it in my head that focusing on any attention to myself was selfish and irresponsible. I was moreso constantly stressed and felt alone and put-upon with all the housework and expectation to do everything myself and be the sole caregiver, while my spouse went out with his friends all the time. The only time he actually helped me throughout a night was the night before I had to go for a CT scan. And family refused to watch our kid until she was sleeping through the night.
That sounds like an unbearable amount of pressure. I don't know how I would have dealt with that.

Someone had told me that in order to be a good mother is to look after yourself first, because then you will be able to look after your child better. Hence, it is why they say to put the oxygen mask on yourself before your kids. After that, I started to focus on me and actually by myself some new clothes and get out with friends and I started feeling better about myself.

Your wife may feel some guilt, but she needs to have a sense of a life outside of work and parenting. You can reassure and keep reassuring that all will be fine with you taking care of things. And that goes for you, too. You need to get out and do things on your own or immerse in a hobby.
Plan a date night for the 2 of you once a week, but it plan it on different days so your time isn't so monotonous.
I wouldn't count a dental appointment a relaxing free time. A hair appointment? Yeah. If that's something she enjoys.
Obviously I can't force her to spend her free time a certain way, but I like the date night idea. I think once per week is a bit ominous for us now (our schedules are somewhat erratic), but we can start with once or twice a month and see how things go from there.

Another idea is signing up for a leisure activity from the leisure guides. There are lots of adult activities like photography, for example. These are usually 6-8 week programs that are relatively affordable. It's a chance to build a new skill and socialize with new people.
Your wife should also get out of the house with an activity to do with your son. The leisure guides also offer mom and toddler activities.
Perhaps once or 2 twice a month you can plan special family days.
I think an important point about these suggestions is that they're both ways to connect <I>as well as</I> opportunities to afford richer conversations. (I say this for the benefit of others who've arrived here seeking the same thing I am.) What I mean by that is that if one expects dates and leisure activities to <I>replace</I> connection or intimacy, I think it's probably going to be disappointing. But (at least for us) spending time together where there's little outside stress can be a great first step in establishing an environment where both partners feel more comfortable sharing and receiving each others' vulnerabilities, frustrations, etc.

I realize that some partners don't relate this way, and acknowledge this is a highly personalized view.

I'm not going to touch on breastfeeding advice too much as it is a very personal thing. But if you want my opinion and opinion only, 2 years is a long time for breastfeeding and if it just done for the child's comfort it may be time to wean before it becomes an actual problem. Weaning is not easy for the mom nor child and she is very lucky and fortunate to have such a supportive partner to encourage and allow her to have breastfed for 2 years and is able to do so.
We kind of just let nature take its course and weaned him when his mother's milk (mostly) dried up. Our son seems to have benefited from it (with perhaps a bit of an obsession for breasts, but even if that persisted throughout his life, it would hardly be unusual ;)).

I agree with the others that people evolve and relationships as well, especially after kids. Have you ever watched the movie Nine Months? lol

I think in regards to situations like yours, there are success stories but none where everything goes back to pre-child times.
I think you are worrying way too much about your relationship than there is too be worried about. Your secure and confident enough to have a strong trust, and the jealousy level seems to be at a minimum. I recognize that because I had that in my last relationship. You are both equals and support each other, and have similar goals and drive to commit to one another. If she were seeing someone else she must be going through time portals in a blink of an eye or she would be more eager to get out of the house on her own a lot more often. One text is not a sign of infidelity.
You will have to find and explore a new "normal" with your partner and it will happen eventually. Just remember that your relationship will continue to change as your son gets older. It does get easier, though, until the teen years. But then again, you will enough experience in your own life to guide him in the right direction.
I have seen <I>Nine Months</I> :) and have no expectations that everything goes back to pre-child times. That's not realistic. (There's a very important other person living with us now who needs us in a way that neither of us have been needed before. Of course things are forever changed.)

But I still think it's possible to be as close (if not <I>closer</I> to my wife). I fully accept that will manifest itself in ways that are likely (very) different than when we were childless. One thing I think that's become clear is to get (back) to a point where we can talk (I mean <I>really</I> talk) in a constructive way, without her (or either of us for that matter) feeling judged. Again, I realize this is highly relationship-specific.

As an aside, I've found this seminar by Marshall Rosenberg to be helpful:

https://youtu.be/UEqmZ2E1o64

A brief summary is to find a mindset where one can enjoy contributing to one's own and others' well being (which, sadly, is much easier said than done). An essential part of this is to train oneself to yearn to understand another person, even if they express themselves in destructive or dysfunctional ways. (That's the hard part.) It might be helpful to watch it with your partner if he/she's willing.

For further information, this is Rosenberg's own description of his history:

https://youtu.be/O4tUVqsjQ2I