Special Education Preschool...

Mountain9Mom

PF Regular
Feb 11, 2012
My school disrict told me that my son is qualified for a special preschool program. It is only for autism kids.

Of course, I appreciate that they provide special teachers. I also wonder, is it better for him to be involved with normal kids? With all autism kids, where is a role model? So do you put your kid in another part time ordinary preschool at the same time?

If anyone has experience, may I know that how long will it take for your kid to finish special pre and join a normal K? I have a friend said her son stayed there for 3 years and is qualified for normal school now. Is this common?

BTW, when my son was evaluated at the age of 26mo, his speech level equals to 11 month and motor skill euqals to 14mo. Is this mild or severe autism?

Last edited:

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Wow, it's great to have that resource.

I don't know a whole lot about autism, but I believe there's a huge range of abilities, and disabilities that fall within the assessment of autism, so I'm not really sure anyone's going to be able to adize you. It seems like maybe you need some more discussions with your son's drs to talk about his progress, what you can expect, what the plan is and included in that, how this pre-k fits in.

I know there are some members with more experience with autism, hopefully they'll be able to give you something better soon.

Good luck.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Had the same fears as you. We opted not to go with the Autism specific class. I dont know if it was the right decision. Our fear was that while Autistic Chloe was non violent. And knowing that many autistic kids can be violent we decided to leave that alone. Good chance I was wrong with that decision.

As far as how long you son will be in a grade. Short answer. There are certain milestones that he will have to achieve to be promoted. They are the similar to what the kids in the regular classes are required. For example. Cutting paper or coloring. Knowing the alphabet ect. I am sure you can understand that it defeats the purpose of mainlining them if they don't have the basics for what is needed in the class. So there really is no good answer to that question.

It has been my experience that they attend normal classes a percent of the time. That has been the way with DD. The percent is determined by several things that should be spelled out for you in his IEP (Individualized Education Program) meeting. If you haven't had one of these yet and live in the states you will.

IEP Meeting. Think of this as your meeting. You are not just attending you should be running the show. Take these serious. Write down questions and things you want to achieved. Take notes in the meetings. These are multidisciplinary meeting. Teachers, Therapy people, school Syc and others attend. You absolutely are not there just to observe. You are a participant. Make sure they allow enough time for the meeting. You will need more than you think you will. Make sure they attach dates to goals and have something in place to identify goals that are in jeopardy of not being met.

Finally know your rights. Just because they say you have to do something does not mean you do. And if you want something that they are reluctant to provide there are processes to getting it done. It is a little complicated and appeals are time sensitive.

Do some research. I attended Wrights law and have the books spelling out state law, federal law, and your rights. To much to get into here so I would advise you to search Wrights law and see if they offer a class in your area.

Good luck I hope this was some help.

Whether or not you know it. You are swinging a big hammer. If they are unable to provide a reasonable education to you son and you follow the process of law. They could be writing you a blank check to send him wherever you choose. They know that. You should too.

Last edited:

Mountain9Mom

PF Regular
Feb 11, 2012
<LEFT>
Thank you so much.

The school district won't have IEP meeting with us until his 3rd birthday, which means another half a year. Anyway, I think I will put him in the special program first. It is the most reliable method available for me so far.

School district told me that the kids who can not go with normal classes later will be in special program all the way up to high school. Just that it is a special school. I am afraid of that and really hope he can go to normal class later.

So how is your son in regular class now? Can he interact with others well?

</LEFT>
Specificaly,
bssage said:
If they are unable to provide a reasonable education to you son and you follow the process of law. They could be writing you a blank check to send him wherever you choose. They know that. You should too.
<LEFT>
Does it means I can choose a normal public school in our district and they have to accept him and provide help? I'm confused. Because I asked my first child's school, and they said they didn't accept Autism kids, So we have to go to that specific one with special program.

</LEFT>

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Its my daughter (no big) She is probably 40% mainline. She has an aid with while she attends the regular class. That is something decided in the IEP.

She is pretty much non-communicative. So not much social interaction. She is improving at this though. And I think well liked by her peers.

Side note: One of the more recent studies notes that a peer friend that they associate with is the single most important factor in successful mainstream interventions.

I am one of those people who have "enough information to be dangerous" I can get my books out. But believe you would be better served by attending the class. I think it was a couple hundred bucks all day class. and sounds like you have some time to find one.

To the best of my knowledge. It is the school districts burden to supply your child with a Free And <U>Reasonable</U> Public education. FARP for short. Your burden will be to show that they are not providing FARP. I underlined reasonable because this can be subjective. If in fact you invoke this. And you should have access to an advocate by this time to help sort through the steps needed to follow. If you are successful with this process. You simply enroll your boy in the school of your choice (does not have to be public, or in your district) and send the school district the bill.

http://www.wrightslaw.com/

I may be a bit rusty on that. We maintain a good relationship with the school district. Which may be in part because they know I know my rights.

Last edited:

momtoallkids

PF Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2012
agawam,ma
if the child is in preschool then the special classes would be really benificial to ready him for mainstream school. alot of the time if it is aproached early enough such as pre-school then later on in elementry school there is no need anymore. id say give it a try. my nephew is thriving in k due to recieving the special help in pre-school.