Speech Development...

paruchan

Mar 30, 2008
Philippines
Hello, everyone! My son is now 18 months old. He's very active and healthy (even though he has asthma)! He can communicate through sign language and can understand instructions clearly (proof: he can follow them in a very satisfactory manner). So definitely he can hear us loud and clear... But I'm concerned that he only has 5 words that he can say properly... He talks a lot but we can't understand it (it sounds like a different language)...

Can anyone please give me an advise on what to do?

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Sounds normal to me. Neither of my kids started saying much, other than babbling, until about 18 mos.. Between then and 24 mos. it seemed their vocabularies exploded. I think it's too early to be concerned at this point, but definitely follow your parental instincts. Although my DD had a large vocabulary, it was difficult to understand her. Everyone told me she was fine, but I suspected otherwise. At 3 we had her speech evaluated, which confirmed my concerns. She had articulation delays. She was in speech therapy from 3-6 through the public school system. Currently 9, you would never know she ever needed it.

This web site is helpful concerning speech and language development.
Speech and language development in infants and young children Caroline Bowen

paruchan

Mar 30, 2008
Philippines
thanks, trina! i'll observe his speech progress for another 3-6 months... the good thing is he can communicate with us in his own little way...

i just thought his not being exposed to educational shows like barney and dora is the reason why he's a little late in speaking...

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
paruchan said:
thanks, trina! i'll observe his speech progress for another 3-6 months... the good thing is he can communicate with us in his own little way...

i just thought his not being exposed to educational shows like barney and dora is the reason why he's a little late in speaking...
You're welcome. I don't think their exposure to TV has much to do with language development. I'm sure it can play a small part, but their real life exposure to language has much more to do with it. Also, even *if* he does have any speech/language delays it may be from something you have no control over. For example, when my DD required speech therapy I wondered if we had done something wrong. The speech pathologist assured me that was not the case.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
Here is a general list of what they should be able to do, this is not an exact scince though, some kids just talk sooner then others

At age eighteen months old your child will...

* use 10-50 words, including names
* combine two words such as "all gone," "daddy bye-bye"
* hear well and discriminate among many sounds
* recognize pictures of familiar persons and objects
* use words to make wants known, such as "more," "up"
* imitate words and sounds more precisely
* point and gesture to call attention to an event or to show wants
* bring a familiar object from another room when asked to do so
* follow simple commands
* hum and may sing simple songs or tunes

paruchan

Mar 30, 2008
Philippines
thanks for the info!
hmm, the problem is with the 10-50 words/vocabulary...
he can tell us what he wants by talking (using language of his own) and sign language, and he can follow instructions at ease... he also loves to sing, but the one listening simply can't get any words out of it... he combines sounds in a different way... he's used to saying "mama" and "dada"... and "wala na" -- that's Filipino for "no more"...

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
has he lost words?
My friends dd has been in speech therapy since she was 15 months old. She started to loose words and didn't babble.
Babbling is good so don't worry abou thtat. Have you talked to your pediatrician though? They can get you in touch with EI that will come out and evaluate him and then let you know if they fee he needs speech therapy

Joy

PF Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2008
Louisiana
I wouldn't worry just yet. Alexis tested slow in that area too at her 2 yr old check up and they said they were not concerned (although I was) and they never even tested her again until she was 3 and she tested fine.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I think every kid is different. My little sister could sing her ABC's and talk in full sentences with perfect clearness among many other things between 14 and 18 months. And at probably about 18 months (before two, but after one lol) I could tell you all my vouls and when asked a certain letter, could pick it in a pile of cards marked with the ABC's, and would also sing songs and speak sentences clearly. I could also easily read the front of the newspaper by the time I was three. :D And my sister was potty trained by 16 months.

However, both of my brothers hardly said a thing until they were two, and weren't potty trained until they were three-ish. My friend's daughter will be two in june and all she does is babble and maybe say two or three not-so-clear words. (although I have a feeling it's because she never takes the binky out of her mouth, but that's just an opinion.) My brothers are just fine though, both smart and never had any trouble speaking once they got started.

Basically I think it just depends on the child, everyone is different, and I have also heard that boys tend to be slower than girls on average. It's really hard to tell if they actually have a problem until later on. I think he's fine though, just give him some time. I wouldn't worry too much over it, at least not for now.

paruchan

Mar 30, 2008
Philippines
thanks so much everyone, now I'm no longer worried! you're right, every baby is different, and I am not actually in a hurry for him to speak because he's so cute trying ; ) but guess what, he suddenly said "BABY!" last night in such clearness that I thought his father said it! then he started trying to say "Banana!" he got it right but wasn't able to do it again, I guess he needs a little more practice! The funny thing is he keeps on saying "baby" because he saw one on tv! I'm very happy!

hawtmama

PF Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2008
AZ
Not to hijack your thread, but I'm actually glad this was posted...my son is 9.5 months old and still hasn't said anything. He will babble, squeal and make sounds all day long, just not "mama" "dada" "baba" etc

The doctor had me a little worried, saying that he was falling behind...but he's also almost walking. So physically he's doing great, just not with his speech. Should I be worried? When did everyone else's say their first words?

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I can't see why you should worry until later on... I think all babies are different. Eli is 7 months old and just started saying "baba" a little bit ago. VERY rarely will say "Dada".

Mamarazzer

Apr 3, 2008
Hi Paruchan,

I think your son is perfectly normal as well. Do you know that Albert Einstein never spoke a word until he was four years old? You have nothing to worry about. My nephew also did not speak until he was three years old. Just keep talking to him as much as you can and limit his tv watching, as this actually hinders language development.
Best wishes,
Mamarazzer
Baby gifts: baby bedding, car seats, strollers, cribs and furniture.
BabyStore.info, …get the real scoop on Baby Gear
Celebrity Babies Blog

paruchan

Mar 30, 2008
Philippines
Oh, Shaun loves TV very much, we simply can't stop him (he usually has a tantrum when he didn't get his viewing time)! We make sure we're with him while he's watching and repeats to him the simply words he hears and teach him what he sees on screen ("Look Shaun, it's a dog!")...

Do you have any suggestions on how we could limit his TV time? We don't want him to cry too much because we're worried it'll trigger his asthma... He's on a stage right now where he wants to get what he wants... We explain to him what is right and what is wrong, he's a good kid, and very rarely cries, it's just that since he now understands what he could do or get, he insists on it, and if we turn off the TV, he knows how to turn it on again, if we said, "That's enough for today, Shaun!" he'll throw a tantrum! Oh gee! :eek:

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
well since he has asthma and you don't want him tantruming too much right now, I would sugest not turning it on and distraction distractjon distraction!!
Or like my house PBS is on pretty much all day every day. She is so used to it being background noise that she rarely watches unless its Barney or Calliou, then all attention is paid lol