Squigy Kids...

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
We've all seen them. Kids, grown adults, sitting on the corner of a busy intersection with their squigies waiting to wash your window in return for money. What do you guys think about squigy kids/adults? I only ask because yesterday on my way to pick up my bf from work i saw one across the street from me.
What are your initial thoughts when you see one? What is your reaction when you don't have any change, or you do and you don't want them to wash your window?
Didn't they pass a law against them????

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
We don't have them here. The only time anyone is coming up to your car here is if the fire dept is collecting for charity and you have to motion for them to come to your car at the light.
*idea, maybe I'll go buy a squigy and go to work part time* lol
Seriously, that sounds very disturbing and sad.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I'm in South Florida. I went to Lauderdale once and I remember seeing people selling News papers on the corners. But never squigy's. We have car washes for that. Isn't there a child labor law or something?

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
We are in Wylie (Dallas) Texas. I've seen a few grown up that want to wash windows. We have way more of the people with signs (Will work for beer) on the corners begging for money.

Awhile back I had gone to the store, I was driving a Miata and had my 70 lb pitbull in the passenger seat. A man came up trying to wash my window and my dear dog went into "mean pitbull" bark. Didn't take long for the guy to leave. :)

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
HappyMomma said:
We are in Wylie (Dallas) Texas. I've seen a few grown up that want to wash windows. We have way more of the people with signs (Will work for beer) on the corners begging for money.

Awhile back I had gone to the store, I was driving a Miata and had my 70 lb pitbull in the passenger seat. A man came up trying to wash my window and my dear dog went into "mean pitbull" bark. Didn't take long for the guy to leave. :)
Yea doggie, that's funny!

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
meow_173 said:
LOL no its not child labour because its normally teens or adults. and they aren't working for someone
Oh sorry, I have no idea. :wubclub:

AnKsMommy

PF Fanatic
Dec 17, 2007
Japan
lol I'm sorry I don't mean to laugh but I just saw a program about them on tv here in Japan...

Anyway, I don't know what to think about them. I think it's too dangerous because you never know who is in the car or outside the car washing your windows for that matter.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
We don't have them here in my small town. The only time I've seen them was when I visited NYC or Boston.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
musicmom said:
Yea doggie, that's funny!
Yep! All the way home, I was telling her "You're gonna get a nice bone when we get home... GOOD GIRL, GOOD GIRL." :)

She always had some a calm demeanor, I always wondered if the protection mode would kick in if it was ever needed.

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
I don't stop for anybody in Knoxville...regardless of whether they have a squidgie in their hand or a million dollar check. Too scared.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
HappyMomma said:
Yep! All the way home, I was telling her "You're gonna get a nice bone when we get home... GOOD GIRL, GOOD GIRL." :)

She always had some a calm demeanor, I always wondered if the protection mode would kick in if it was ever needed.
One of my Goldens did that this weekend. My dh was here and he always stands. He's 6'4 ish and he was standing near me and my dog did a deep growl and he bowed down near me and just locked eyes with my husband. I patted him and said "good boy":D

Good Wolf

PF Addict
Mar 11, 2008
TX
I've never had anyone come up to my car but then again I'm a big guy and I have a pretty good 'mean face'.

If someone did approach my car with the intention of cleaning my windows I would just hit the wiper blades/windex. I think they would get the point.

I refuse to pay for unsolicited services.

The thing I've seen the most are people at gas stations trying to sale watches, perfume, necklaces etc...

One day I had three of them in a row come up to me and I lost my temper.

"I'M AT A GAS STATION WHERE THEY SALE GAS IF I WANTED A WATCH I WOULD GO TO THE JEWERLY STORE, IF I WANTED SOME PERFUME I WOULD GO TO THE MALL I'M HERE TO BUY GAS!!!!"

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
One day I got fed up with the guy selling roses on the side corner at the stop light. Every day after work he was there and every day he knew I was not interested. I finally asked to see his sale tax permit.

Teresa

PF Fiend
Feb 2, 2007
Ohio
Never seen them, except in the movies. Don't really have any thoughts, other than feeling sad for them.