Stage fear--How to overcome it...

chinnu

Mar 28, 2010
A Fancy Dress Competition was organised for the children of ages 3 to 5. We planned a great fancy dress for the child and thought he would do well on stage before the judges. Things did not happen the way I thought and my son feared to go onstage. I tried to manage him by buying his favorite chocolates to help him feel better before moving on to the stage. To our disappointment, he was once again scared to go onstage while I could notice other children of his age do better onstage. I think if the stage fears continues for a long time, the child may develop stage phobia.
Well, I just want to know on how to help my child overcome the stage fear and do better ,the next time though, with the fancy dress competition.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
That's tough, they can be pretty fickle about their emmotions, at one moment, ready to charge the stage and put on a show and the next cowering in the corner...

I think the only legitimate way is pratice, rationalisation and exposure.

The more you practice "this is what's going to happen, this is what to expect, this is what others are going to be doing" the less frightening the situation will be.

Talk about the fear and rationalize that there's noting tto be afraid of, use the other kids as examples. I would use any pressure though (see, So-and-so can do it, you can too, or why can't you..) that might just add more undue pressure and get's attention in case that's part of the motivation to "act shy."

exposure - look for more opportunities, school plays, church kids choir, piano recital, katrate class, gymnastics class...whataver it may be, the more common-place it gets to be in front of a crowd the less likely t o be afraid.

I'm not sure you can even label this stage fright yet, there could be so many other emmotions ranging from uncertainty to attention getting. If you keep it low-ley I think you can move him along to at least not be afraid. and remember kids go through stages.

Just some thoughts, not sure how many may apply.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Okay wait. First of all, why is your son wearing a "fancy dress"? Why would you make a boy wear a dress? If there's something more to that which I'm confused about, please feel free to explain lol. I am so lost.

Also, I don't see that being anything that could benefit the child. If my son didn't want to go on stage just to show himself to a bunch of people while wearing a dress, I would not force him to. What's the point? If he's scared, and its not really even for his benefit, why make him do it? Let him decide.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Jeremy+3 said:
Fancy dress is wearing a costume Xero, like at halloween, it isn't an actual fancy dress :D
Oh goodness. Well thanks for clearing that up. Lol!! :D

In that case, now it doesn't seem so odd, but still if he is not comfortable with it, I wouldn't try to force him.

Anthony!

May 25, 2010
Two tips:

1. Show him how easy it is. What do you do in your daily life that demonstrates performing in front of others? Show that to him. Show him how much you love the rush.

2. As IAdad pointed out, exposure is the key. Nip this in the bud before he has performance anxiety as an adult. I'm serious, because it IS serious. A confident person is not afraid of getting up in front of others. Get him into some type of acting class. There are many classes that begin at 4yo.