Step-Daughter Issues...

stepbystepmom

Jul 2, 2014
[FONT=&quot]Hi everyone! There is an issue I have been struggling with for the past several months concerning my 17 year old step-daughter. My SD is gay and everyone knows about it except my husband. I stumbled upon some photos of my SD and her girlfriend on Instagram back in June and it clearly showed they were dating. I admit I was shocked about it but I decided to keep it to myself because I felt it was not my place to tell my husband about it.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]My step-kids know that I have an Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter account and we all follow each other on these sites. Well, in July all-of-a-sudden my 17 year old SD un-followed me on Instagram and blocked me from her account. The Instagram account has been where all these photos of her and her girlfriend have been. I never questioned her the few times when I have seen her and she has not acted any different. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Anyway, about a month ago I found out on my youngest step-daughter’s Instagram that not only does my husband’s ex-wife knows about this, but everyone else knows about it. However, I still have not mentioned it to my husband because I felt like my SD would have told my husband by now. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The situation with my husband and his ex is that they don’t talk unless she wants money. Basically what happened in their marriage is that she cheated on him with several men and told him she wanted a divorce. My husband’s lawyer told him that since he had proof of her adultery he could have her kicked out of the house. However, my husband said he didn’t want to do that because he didn’t want to uproot his kids and wanted to protect them from knowing what their mom did. He gave her what she asked for (smh) and moved to the home where he and I currently live.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Anyway, they have shared custody of the kids and we get them every Wednesday and every other weekend. However, 2 years ago my oldest SD decided she didn’t want to come over to our house anymore. The reason is because she got mad at my husband because he took her laptop away from her because she was being a smart ass. When that happened, she told my husband she wanted to go back to her mom’s house. She said my husband raised his voice to her and she was afraid of him. I was there and he DID NOT treat her in a way where she would have been afraid of him. In my opinion, I feel that she was rebelling. Since that time my SD and my husband do talk and their relationship has gotten better.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Last weekend, my SD came to our house to get a birthday card his mom sent for her. She had her girlfriend in the car with her when she came but when my husband asked to meet her, she refused. My husband thought that was odd but didn’t push the issue. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I feel that it has gotten to the point to where it is clear to me that she is probably not going to tell him about this. I have struggled with should I tell him myself but I don’t know. The thing is, he is her parent and he has a right to know about his child. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]I really need some advice because it is killing me that I have been keeping this from my husband. We have been married for 2 years but together for 4 years. We have a wonderful relationship and have always been very honest with each other and talk about everything. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&amp;quot]There is one issue that my husband is guilty of and that is he has and still continues to makes jokes sometimes about gay people. I have told him that he doesn't need to be doing that because '<I>the kids may have friends who </I>[FONT=&amp;quot]<I>are gay</I>[FONT=&amp;quot]'[FONT=&amp;quot]. But, regardless of hi[FONT=&amp;quot]m making jo[FONT=&amp;quot]kes, [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]my husband and I have discussed in the past that if any of the kids came to us and said they were gay or bisexual, we would support them 100%. [/FONT]

I am wondering if maybe because of my husband making these jokes, maybe my SD feels like he would not accept her. I don't know....
[FONT=&amp;quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&amp;quot]Anyway, [FONT=&amp;quot]t[/FONT]hank[FONT=&amp;quot] you everyone[/FONT] for all replies to this.
[/FONT]

Last edited:

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Jokes speak so loudly and casually joking about something so personal can be very hurtful.

Your stepdaughter doesn't know what the two of you have spoken about, she wasn't in on that conversation, she only knows what she hears and that seems to be the jokes, so what conclusion is she likely to come to?

As to whether you should tell him, I am a very strong believer in you do not out someone unless you are asked to. Regardless of your relationship with the person, it's just basic respect.

NewStepMom

Feb 17, 2016
Do you have a good enough relationship with her to talk to her about it? It's her decision alone to tell her father in my opinion, but it might help if she knew you supported her.

newmomma568

Oct 21, 2016
You can follow the given below five tips to make your relationship between your stepdaughter easier:
1. Give your daughter some time for grieving as she is new to the environment and might have been disturbed mentally and emotionally by their quarreling parents.
2. Treat her as a member of your own family. Don't show indifferent behavior towards her. This makes her close to you.
3. Try to interact with your kids and make sure that you spend a considerable amount of time with them.
4. Earn their trust and honesty because children will observe how you are going to handle different situations.
5. Know what their interest and hobbies are, and provide sufficient encouragement to them.