Stingy Fairy?...

What should we do about the price tag on our six-year-old's tooth?...

• Pay the $10 price tag....

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Leave the tooth there....

• Take the tooth but pay what we want....

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • Tell her all the windows were shut, and the tooth fairy couldn't get in....

• Total voters

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
My daughter lost her fourth baby tooth tonight. When she put it under her pillow, she included a price tag of $10. Apparently she wants a ten-dollar bill because it's the one bill she hasn't seen yet.

I happen to have one in my purse, but my husband thinks the tooth fairy has been priced out of the market this time. He wants us to just leave the tooth there until the price tag disappears. I hate to disappoint her, but I'm also afraid to set a precedent here. She's still got 16 in her mouth, not counting the wisdom teeth.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
We did. But her friends at school insisted that the tooth fairy gives money to kids who put their teeth under their pillows. So she announced that she was going to try it, and we couldn't help but go swap it for a coin after she fell asleep. She had so much fun with it that we just went along with it. I doubt she seriously believes it. In the past we've explained that fairies, Santa Claus, Easter bunny and such were not real. I'm not sure if she is actually persuaded by her friends, or if she just likes to participate in the same make-believe as her friends, but at this age I don't think it really matters. We never explicitly told her anything about a tooth fairy... we just play along.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Do not give the $10...it sets you up says the woman who only had a 5 once. That got expensive quick lol

Just do what you are comfortable with.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Hmmmm. I think me personally, "demanding" attitudes and such are a bit of a pet peeve of mine and I would not leave a $10 for the tooth. What I think I would do, is take the tooth and leave whatever I wanted under there (less than $10 though probably, purposefully, not because I wouldn't or couldn't afford to give $10 for it), along with a small note that said "it is much nicer to ask politely for the things you want, rather than demanding them. If you had left me a note asking me nicely that you would like to see a ten dollar bill, if I had enough and didn't mind, then I would have tried to do that nice thing for you. Putting a $10 price tag on your tooth wasn't very nice or polite so I will give what I see fit. :) Thank you for the tooth!" But you know, word it however you want but you get the idea. That's what I would do, and then probably have a discussion with her about the whole thing, being polite, asking nicely, not expecting things, and appreciating whatever people (or mythical creatures lol) are willing and able to give us etc.

However, assuming I knew about this price tag before she went to bed (I can't tell if you did or not), I personally would have had the talk before bed and made her correct her mistake. If it was already too late to do that though, I would do the above.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
I like Xero's idea of the note.

Tooth fairy at our house is incredibly stingy, but that's because she originated from our religious beliefs and she certainly doesn't give money, just protection, haha. My kids really got the raw end of the deal with that one.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
It didn't strike me as "demanding" when she announced her plan. I did warn her that the tooth fairy might not want to buy a tooth if it was that expensive, and it turns out I was right. So she knew the risks.

I guess if you present the tooth fairy as someone who gives you a coin to commemorate losing the tooth, it would be rude to haggle. But we've kind of suggested that the tooth fairy "buys" the teeth, because she uses them for something. (My parents told me she builds little houses out of them.) So I guess my daughter sees it more as a negotiable transaction than a gift, and last night was a glimpse at some artificial laws of supply/demand. After all, it's her tooth, not the fairy's (yet). So personally I don't think it was rude and won't chastise her for it, but I agree that accepting that price would be a bad idea.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Lol I didn't realize she was led to believe that the tooth fairy buys teeth because she needs them for things, and that it seemed like a negotiable price. What exactly did she do wrong then? I'd just give her the $10, sounds like its not her fault she expected to be able to do that haha.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Thats great. This would be my response:

Dear AK's daughter:

Thanks you for the note. I did not realize you were due a tooth rate increase. You should know any amendments to your current tooth contract need to be submitted 60 days prior to the event: In writing. At that point we have thirty days to respond to your request with acceptance or declination. You will be given an additional 30 days to appeal any decision we had made: In writing.

We can accept this price tag as this written request. If so: you should be aware that modification the contract. Will allow us to make additional modifications. As I am sure you are aware these are tough economic times for everyone. A result we must modify our end of your existing agreement. You should be aware that the teeth in your head had been made possible by those who have lost teeth before you. And that all Teeth fall under the international "Tooth Fairy Agreement" For us to continue they cycle of new teeth we will need to charge rent and maintenance fee on your current teeth. As of 04/01/2013 we will be implementing a 1cent per tooth per quarter fee (4 payments per year). To be paid by current tooth holders. This will correct the discrepancy of better tooth care that has been the current trend for some time now. And the request's for increased "end of tooth" term fees.

Lack of response will be considered acceptance of the terms. Please inventory and count your current teeth. Include the delinquent balance with the tooth under the pillow.

Note: Damaged or not cared for teeth will result in reduced payouts.

Thanks in advance
The Little Fairy Action Response Team

Last edited:

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
I'm sorry, but that is hilarious. What does she want with her old teeth?

In that case I would be leaving her a note that reads something along the lines of "Sorry, refunds must be within two weeks of purchase date", but then I would go a bit silly and have way too much fun with this situation.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Lol hopefully you have told her that it doesn't work that way so she's not sitting around hoping for that to happen, and that there's no reason to keep a yucky old tooth. :S