Stupid recalls...

Father_0f_7

PF Addict
Aug 19, 2008
F.I., Florida
Recall of baby monitors linked to 2 deaths - USATODAY.com
If you don't want to click the link, I've copied the link below.

- Nearly 2 million Summer Infant Video baby monitors were recalled Friday after being linked to the strangulation deaths of two infants.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission says the electrical cords on the monitors can be dangerous for babies if placed too close to their cribs.

According to the commission, a 10-month-old girl from Washington, D.C., died in March when she strangled on the cord of a Summer Infant monitor camera that had been placed on the top of the crib rail. In November, a 6-month-old boy from Conway, S.C., strangled in the electrical cord of a baby monitor placed on the changing table attached to his crib.

CPSC and Summer infant are also aware of a 20-month-old boy from pittsburgh who nearly strangled on a camera cord that was mounted to the wall in reach of the child.

Commission Chairman Inez Tenenbaum says cords and kids can be a deadly combination.

"I urge all parents and caregivers to put at least 3 feet between any video or audio baby monitor cords and a child in a crib," she said. "This simple step can save your child's life."

In all, about 1.7 million monitors - more than 40 different models of handheld, digital and color monitors - are being recalled by Summer Infant, based in Woonsocket, R.I.

The company will provide new on-product warning labels and instructions about monitor placement.

The monitors were sold at major retailers nationwide between 2003 and 2011.

The commission first warned about the potential danger of monitor cords last October. Since 2004, seven children have strangled on baby monitor cords placed too close to a crib.

In addition to the recall linked to strangulations, Summer Infant also is recalling the rechargeable batteries in another 58,000 video monitors exclusively sold at Babies R Us in 2009 and 2010. The commission says the batteries sold with certain Slim and Secure Video Monitors can overheat, rupture and possibly burn people.

The company has received five reports of ruptured batteries, including three cases of property damage.

For more information on model numbers of recalled monitors, consumers can contact Summer Infant at 800-426-8627.
Now is it just me or is this the stupidest recall ever. Don't get me wrong, children died and that's HORRIBLE but, and tell me if i'm being COMPLETELY INSANE, wouldn't it just be easier to put the cord away from the baby? :confused:

Seems like it would save a whole lot of money.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Wtf?? Wow, this is really stupid. Obviously ANY electrical cord isn't safe being too close to a baby's crib, and any child can be strangled by a cord. Holy crap what is wrong with people. I mean what are they going to do once they recall them anyway? Make them cordless? lol

Really sad about those babies though. :( However, I 100% blame the parents.

Father_0f_7

PF Addict
Aug 19, 2008
F.I., Florida
I mean what are they going to do once they recall them anyway? Make them cordless? lol
I think what they're going to do is just recall them and spend money putting a warning on them to not put the cord too close to the crib...then put them back in stores just like they are now.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Wow, see this is why the government has to tell us what to do. People like this, that need a warning label to tell them not to keep electrical cords within reach of their babies. :rolleyes:

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
Sheesh, that's pretty ridiculous. :rolleyes: I mean, seriously - who can't figure out that an electrical cord can strangle a baby?

Perhaps its because there are too many warning labels on things these days, so people stop thinking for themselves. Like "Well, there's nothing telling us not to do it, so it must be OK..." Pretty pathetic, I say.

Incogneato

PF Fanatic
Feb 9, 2011
Xero said:
Wow, see this is why the government has to tell us what to do. People like this, that need a warning label to tell them not to keep electrical cords within reach of their babies. :rolleyes:
It's sad, but that is what the world has come to. However, you cannot legislate stupidity. No amount of laws or warnings are going to stop people from being stupid. Use common sense (if available), and you and your child will be just fine.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Not only do i think it's stupid, just like all-too-many recalls, I think it's counter productive. The more the government steps in to "protect" us from ourselves, the less we able to fend for ourselves. We've already raised a generation that will assume something is safe, no matter how it's used, unless there's a warning, and then the warning, must be written in a manner that ensures that we read it and understand it, it's quite possibly the beginning of the end for western civilization. Gone is common sense, gone is buyer beware. Caution can no longer be thrown to the wind, as it's never exercised to begin with.

(stumbled on one of my pet peeves....I'll step down from my soap box now and look for the label that says it's not safe to use as a platform...)

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I completely feel the same way IADad. I am always rolling my eyes at rediculous warnings. There is a pet nail grinder we sell at work that has a warning on it saying something like "For external use only" and it just leaves me feeling like WTF.

Quatrix

Feb 16, 2011
I agree completely. How about the Similac recall? A few harmless bug parts were found in a very small percentage of containers made at one plant, but to avoid frivolous lawsuits, they recalled and destroyed tons of perfectly good formula It was completely gone from store shelves for at least a couple of months. I would have gladly taken the formula that they trashed. The massive egg recall was even more pointless.

At least with the baby monitor recall they can "fix" and resell them or at least reuse the parts to make new ones. The formula and eggs were totally wasted.

No wonder other countries are catching up or surpassing us when political correctness and our stupid civil "law" system are holding us hostage.

Antoinette

PF Addict
Mar 2, 2010
Australia
if you can't work it out on your own that babies and electrical cords don't go well together maybe you shouldn't have babies to start with... grr people are so dumb

superrod2010

PF Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2010
Utah
What we need is a recall on on stupid law suits. We just need a few people with brains to stop all the ludicrous suits. I think the lawyers who bring this stuff to the courts should be fined and if that doesn't stop them from being stupid then they should be disbarred.

Course that would make sense so it probably wont' ever happen...

marypulido

Banned
Feb 14, 2011
Xero said:
Wtf?? Wow, this is really stupid. Obviously ANY electrical cord isn't safe being too close to a baby's crib, and any child can be strangled by a cord. Holy crap what is wrong with people. I mean what are they going to do once they recall them anyway? Make them cordless? lol

Really sad about those babies though. :( However, I 100% blame the parents.
This is really sad, I dont know what to say...is this stupidity or foolishness. It is bad.:(

Mommalicious

Apr 11, 2011
South
I have to agree with all about the frivolous lawsuits these days. I for one, roll my eyes and cringe every time at the parents that cause their children harm because of their stupidity and then force them to endure their retarded rants/lawsuits. However, it would be nice to have a truly wireless monitor, like the PREE BabyM.A.T., so that wires are taken completely out of the equation.