Suggestion to deal with trolls?...

mmynedshlp

PF Enthusiast
May 27, 2008
True,

We were a forum dealing with people who had changing IP's. It was world wide and in singapore and and some other countries they exchange IP's constantly.

We even dealt with people who had more than one IP address.

Like was said this forum does not get anywhere near the traffic that some others do.
Thank goodness too. It would take me 8 hours to moderate all the new posts. About 2 hours was just the reported posts.

Yes some other places do give incentives for people to go on different forums and post there things. That is why it had a rule of advertisement in your siggy only and siggys could only be made after a certain amount of posts just like on here :)
We had to give them there demerits for every post till a ban occured till the admin made an instant ban thing for the aggressive spammers.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Back up. They made you post on other peoples websites to promote their web site? Then you would get banned. That's nuts. To me it makes me NOT want to go on the spammed web sites.

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
musicmom said:
Back up. They made you post on other peoples websites to promote their web site? Then you would get banned. That's nuts. To me it makes me NOT want to go on the spammed web sites.

I think he/she was saying they blocked signatures from having links until they reached a minimum requirement to block new members from promoting other forums. We do that here. New members have to have so many posts before they can have links in their signatures.

mmynedshlp

PF Enthusiast
May 27, 2008
musicmom said:
oh no, not me. I had never promoted that forum except with admin permission on any other forum. i also expected the members to do the exact same and if i saw my members posting on any forum I would write thier admin and ask them if they wrote and got permission. We didnt want them doing to any other forum what we didnt want done to us. We would work with that admin too if they allowed us to. ( some would not work with us saying it was privacy issue but hey it was there spam)

I know we would write to admin about thier forum spam too if we were spammed. We would get permission to explain our rules of our forum to them on how they could promote thier site properly. ( in essence doing our own advertisement, which sometimes led to forum battles that was fun)
It was an anime forum so we would invite them to role play a war with us LOL.

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
mmynedshlp said:
We were a forum dealing with people who had changing IP's. It was world wide and in singapore and and some other countries they exchange IP's constantly.

We even dealt with people who had more than one IP address.
I don't have a problem with multiple IPs unless it is from the same banned person (which would probably be hard to figure out definitively).

My posts are often from different IPs. I have a desktop, laptop that I use in many different locations, and a variety of computers in 2 different places I use for research stuff (most likely with multiple IPs as they are big, sprawling, highly computerized places). During the weekdays, I am often not at my home computer, but I stop into the site frequently as I'm working off computers and need breaks to stave off a boredom-induced coma. :)