Summer Reading Program...

ljmahr

PF Fiend
Oct 16, 2007
I found this and thought it would be neat for my dd to do this summer. I thought if some others were close to a Barnes & Noble it would be fun for there kids too. Read 8 books, write about your favorite part and you get a free book! Here is the link!

2008 Summer Reading - Barnes & Noble

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
That sounds like a great program! I wonder if B & N would believe my 20-month twins wrote the reports so we could get a new book....;)

ljmahr

PF Fiend
Oct 16, 2007
I was trying to figure out how to get my almost 3 yr. old and 21 m old to write, lol.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
ljmahr said:
I was trying to figure out how to get my almost 3 yr. old and 21 m old to write, lol.
Hehehe! Me too. I was thinking my 4 yr old could draw pictures instead of write words.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
LOL, Ari!

I actually cringed when I read this title, and I'll explain why. DH and I have been fostering the joy of reading in our kids since they were infants. They began to search for books and read on their own without prompting early on. Then the public school started a mandatory summer reading program every year, where they have to log all their books on a chart and compete for prizes, etc.. That took the wind right out of the sails for both my kids. :( They didn't like being pressured or having to compete to see who reads the most books. Of course they took part because it was a requirement, but it was a struggle. :mad:

As a former teacher I totally understand the reasoning and the merits for such programs. For many kids it is a positive thing, but it squashed my DS's and DD's appetite for reading. Thankfully, this program only goes up to Gr. 3 in our district. My kids are still required to do summer reading, but the pressure to READ, READ, READ as many books as possible isn't there, thank God. My kids like to savor good books, as they should, not rush through them so they can move onto the next quickly.

ljmahr

PF Fiend
Oct 16, 2007
Oh yeah, that would be horrible. My girls LOVE to read and be read to. I can't imagine it being a requirement. Then they probably wouldn't like it as much either. We do have a reading program at the library (we live a block from the library). You read and earn book bucks then you can go spend them at their little store. My girls love it! No pressure!

mmynedshlp

PF Enthusiast
May 27, 2008
Wow thanks for making me aware of this :) I printed it out for my S-D to take on her summer vacation to her moms house. I am hoping this will motivate her mom to let her read. Exspecially the free part. * fingers crossed please please please*

Sirk

Your Forum Mom
Apr 1, 2008
Awesome!

Our local library has a summer reading program where if you submit 3 book reports a week, you get entered to win free rides at the fair.
Lita loves reading, but she's at the table grumbling over her reports right now. :D