Taking pictures of your kids...

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Learning to take pictures of your kids is like mastering a form of martial arts. It takes time, patience, practice, and skills to really lock down the ability to get good pictures. To some, getting a good picture might not be that important, but to me photographs are the only way I can get time to hold still for a moment. It is so important to me to take great pictures of my kids, to really shoot the moment and pause it forever in an image for me to keep and look back on. I love having the memories, and I love knowing that someday my family will be able to look back on these moments and feel as if they are in them once again. I want to remember what my kids looked like when they were little, because I can't keep them little forever. I thank photographs for giving me the ability to remember clearly, and I am always trying to better my skills in order to make my memories even better. There are several things you have to do to get good pictures.

You must be a ninja. In that short moment that your little one is taking his first steps, you must shoot to the other side of the room and snatch the camera up from its resting spot. You then will need to quickly turn it on and focus right in on the subject. Be careful not to trip over toys during this process; this is a common problem I run into. For these purposes, you might want to keep your camera in an easy to reach place, somewhere you always know where to find it. The easier the camera is to get (for an adult that is - don't make it too easy to get or you may not have a camera for long), the easier it will be to catch all the right moments.

You have to be stealthy. It is imperative to sneak up on our kids when they are doing cute things, because if they know what you're about to do, they will immediately stop being cute. This is almost guaranteed. If you can hide the camera behind something, that would be even better. Babies would most of the time prefer to stare at your shiny camera instead of being cute for it. It is most unfortunate! There will always be those wonderful picture opportunities that were sadly missed - "the one that got away."

Act as ridiculous as you possibly can. When doing this, you are sure to capture precious smiles and laughs. Make as many outrageous faces and embarrassing noises as possible. Tell jokes, imitate cartoon characters, and punch stuffed animals in the face if you have to. If you have older children, bribe them! Tell them that if they give you a really nice smile, then they can have that cookie that they've been eyeing up on the kitchen counter. For teenagers, there's always the threat of looking nice unless they want you showing off a funny picture!

Most importantly though, have fun. A lot of the time, if you are having fun with your kids, the smiles and the good memories will come naturally and you won't have to do anything at all. Catch them playing with their favorite toys, or having a good time outside. Hug them, tickle them, and enjoy them. The pictures will come, and they will be easy to take.

Last edited:

culdesacmom

Nov 23, 2011
Thanks for the great post! I love taking pictures of my kids and I wonder how moms survived before digital cameras!! I also recently came across a great place to journal and post all of those pictures once they are taken. It is called Intoloop and I really love the layout of the site and how easy it is to use. You can easily add stories and pictures from your day and the site will automatically organize everything in chronological order and display it on an easy to read timeline. You can even upload pictures from your iPhone (and soon I think your Android too) so it's great for uploading pictures instantly while you are out and about having fun! And I love that I now have a place to share everything about my kids with the people that are really interested, without having to put it all on Facebook for everyone I know to see! And the best part is that it is completely free! I definitely recommend it! www.intoloop.com</SIZE>[/FONT]
[/SIZE]</SIZE>[/FONT]

amygentry

Dec 6, 2011
I take a lot of pictures of my baby, Samantha. Mainly on my iPhone, since that's what I usually have in my hand when I need a camera. :)

I just started using an app called babygrow flipbook. I use it to take a picture every day, and the app makes a kind of flip book that shows Samantha growing... and growing! I can't believe how fast.

The app uploads the flip book to Facebook (as a video) which is pretty cool. I've only done that once, so far, but I'll probably post a new video every few weeks (people get bored with too much baby news, I think!)

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Aww, I would love to have an app like that, amy! I have seen videos like that. I think I saw one on the forums with a little girl that went from like day one to many years later. It was too cute. :) Samantha is such a pretty name, by the way.

amygentry

Dec 6, 2011
I know, it is a wonderful idea. Just hope I can keep it up. My friend told me about it. Our babies were born in the same week and we're both doing one.

I'm tapping this out on my iPhone (while stirring porridge in the kitchen), so can't post a link, but I think you could just search the app store for babygrow flipbook.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Yeah, I would be afraid that I would forget a day or something! But I guess probably no one would notice haha. I just have a regular phone right now, though I think I will get an iPhone when I renew my contract in February. I'm just waiting to get a good price. I do have an iPod Touch, but it doesn't take pictures.

amygentry

Dec 6, 2011
Luckily, babies don't grow *that* fast. Even if you miss a week (as I just did!), it's not a problem.

singerj

Banned
Dec 18, 2011
iPhone is great to take photos especially close up because you can have the camera facing you and see what it on the screen.

Kids often like it when they can see themselves.

Jon
Drive4Rebecca

EnoMae

PF Regular
Feb 11, 2012
Paris, France
Good post ! :)

I often take pictures of my daughter ever since she was a baby but the more she grows up, the more I enjoy it! She does the silliest and funniest poses ... she is just so much fun.

Heriawairee

Banned
Sep 6, 2012
しかを笑って、「丁マネージャーの具合が悪くて、私が彼のために。」ドアを開けたカード、バッグを置くと、彼女はお腹が痛くて、心の中ではよくなくて、やっぱり、女子が最も恐れたのものに来る。処理が終わった後、彼女は痛くない力ではなくて、更に動く、ベットにつかんで腰枕パッド、酒の力がふらふらするうちに眠ってしまった。彼女は1つの長い夢。

夢の中であります严恒、やっぱり大三時の様子、笑って、彼女は、「小凡、私は多くのお金を儲けることを養うだけ小さいブタ、私今などよく勉強する。」彼女は今答えたいと、女の子は、「严恒、あなたはあなたはとっくに彼女と別れましたか?」彼女はとてもこの声は古宁苑、あっという間に彼女を目当てに叫び、「何言って、彼はいつ私と別れた?はあなたを奪うのか、彼はどのようにあなたが好きですか?」

http://www.newcoach2012.net コーチアウトレット
http://www.newcoach2012.net コーチ
http://www.newcoach2012.net コーチバッグ
http://www.newcoach2012.net コーチ新作
http://www.newcoach2012.net コーチ通販
コーチアウトレット : http://www.newcoach2012.net

MommyMe4

May 31, 2012
Cute post! I also love taking pictures of my kids and nieces and nephews but usually take them on my iPhone. I have also found incredible apps that help keep my photos organized and I share the photos on Instagram:)